2020 - 2021 Canton McKinley Boys Basketball Season

McKinley might be better than expected.Peterson,Graham,and Parker.

djcoach-Could you let us know when/if Peterson is at McKinley.

Glen Parker transferred from Barberton to Canton McKinley.

The 8th grade super-star will like hearing this and go to McKinley!
A lot of those kids from Hartford say they probably won't go to McKinley because of the basketball coach. They don't want to play for him.

A lot of those kids from Hartford say they probably won't go to McKinley because of the basketball coach. They don't want to play for him.
These kids today don't play for the name on the jersey, they give their all for a coach they trust, and know they truly care

He does not relate well with the kids, this is coming from several of the seniors on this past team. That is why they underachieved this past season. Word is they told the incoming freshman to not go to McKinley.
I heard the same thing. McKinley probably could have dominated for the next few years in basketball, but having the wrong coach will be the downfall. Kids are no longer coming to McKinley because it’s McKinley. Kids now are more interested in having a coach that they can relate to and develop a close relationship with.

I heard the same thing. McKinley probably could have dominated for the next few years in basketball, but having the wrong coach will be the downfall. Kids are no longer coming to McKinley because it’s McKinley. Kids now are more interested in having a coach that they can relate to and develop a close relationship with.
The head coach was known to curse out certain kids during practice; calling them BITCHES.... Not good. Who wants to play for a coach like that.?

Nice that a parent or senior from this came up on here to try and spread some opinions. As a former coach at McKinley I would love to know who you are and where this is coming from exactly.

First off V kept 10 seniors and probably shouldn't have kept that many if we are being honest kinda did it to himself by keeping that many.

There have been no transfers out just transfers in since he has been there even kids who quit came back.

Lets go back to first year He should've cut some of the seniors that year but he kept them and tried to incorporate them in because he has always been loyal to his seniors who have put in time for him. I still talk to a couple of those seniors that are leaving this year maybe i should get some names from you in a private message and ask them if this is true.

I know some parents were pains from the get go would corner me and tell me all what they knew from the minute I walked onto campus. let that go then. but since we are coming out now anonymously we can do this here. Many people know who I am on here and you can easily private message me and we can discuss further if you which to remain anonymous.

I still talk to some of the coaches also. If kids were so disgruntled and what you are saying is true there would be a mass exodus. There would be more underclassmen on team if he did not keep all the seniors whether they could help the team or not.

First school I ever coached at in Pa (We won multiple state titles) our rule was if you weren't contributing to varsity meaningful minutes Junior year you weren't going to be apart of program, Juniors weren't on JV and the program was about development. Maybe some schools over here in Ohio should abide by those if you truly want to develop whole programs not just kinda good varsity teams

Nice that a parent or senior from this came up on here to try and spread some opinions. As a former coach at McKinley I would love to know who you are and where this is coming from exactly.

First off V kept 10 seniors and probably shouldn't have kept that many if we are being honest kinda did it to himself by keeping that many.

There have been no transfers out just transfers in since he has been there even kids who quit came back.

Lets go back to first year He should've cut some of the seniors that year but he kept them and tried to incorporate them in because he has always been loyal to his seniors who have put in time for him. I still talk to a couple of those seniors that are leaving this year maybe i should get some names from you in a private message and ask them if this is true.

I know some parents were pains from the get go would corner me and tell me all what they knew from the minute I walked onto campus. let that go then. but since we are coming out now anonymously we can do this here. Many people know who I am on here and you can easily private message me and we can discuss further if you which to remain anonymous.

I still talk to some of the coaches also. If kids were so disgruntled and what you are saying is true there would be a mass exodus. There would be more underclassmen on team if he did not keep all the seniors whether they could help the team or not.

First school I ever coached at in Pa (We won multiple state titles) our rule was if you weren't contributing to varsity meaningful minutes Junior year you weren't going to be apart of program, Juniors weren't on JV and the program was about development. Maybe some schools over here in Ohio should abide by those if you truly want to develop whole programs not just kinda good varsity teams
Sorry you seem to be upset, but I was just giving McKinley people some information that they need to know. We’ll see what happens with Mckinley basketball.

I am happy you responded. I have talked to a couple of the kids you have spoke about and all contradict what was said here as well as other coaches in the system and we will see what happens cause parents and kids are known to lie alot on both accounts. We shall see what happens

I am happy you responded. I have talked to a couple of the kids you have spoke about and all contradict what was said here as well as other coaches in the system and we will see what happens cause parents and kids are known to lie alot on both accounts. We shall see what happens
I hope to God you aren’t lying, because if my contacts are right, the future will be heartbreaking for us McKinley diehard fans.

O not about the Hartford Kids who knows what they are thinking if they were actually seeing the landscape they would see not much in front of them to keep them from playing meaningful minutes early. We will see though. I sat and there for two years and heard complaints from kids about playing time and coaches being hard on them but when I really sat down and talked to them and asked what they were doing to get better and if being hard on them not just from Coach V but any coach in the program that demanded more from them the stance softened.

I could go on and on but being there everyday for two years and watching the work being put in the ones that earned more playing time and that were rewarded as such were the ones who got better and worked tirelessly to get better. Like I said I will gladly discuss this with you in messages to keep your anonymity but like i said before I can tell you every player for the past three years what the work ethic was like, if they got enough playing time, if they got a raw deal imo, if the parents couldn't see the forest for the tree. I won't name names on here of players but I could call them up and we could three way discuss everything with alot of them.

And to further it i am upset that a proud program has supporters so short sighted that they are unable to really be true supporters but then again only one school I have been at where all the parents, administration, fans were all on the same page and all we really did at Kennedy was win

O not about the Hartford Kids who knows what they are thinking if they were actually seeing the landscape they would see not much in front of them to keep them from playing meaningful minutes early. We will see though. I sat and there for two years and heard complaints from kids about playing time and coaches being hard on them but when I really sat down and talked to them and asked what they were doing to get better and if being hard on them not just from Coach V but any coach in the program that demanded more from them the stance softened.

I could go on and on but being there everyday for two years and watching the work being put in the ones that earned more playing time and that were rewarded as such were the ones who got better and worked tirelessly to get better. Like I said I will gladly discuss this with you in messages to keep your anonymity but like i said before I can tell you every player for the past three years what the work ethic was like, if they got enough playing time, if they got a raw deal imo, if the parents couldn't see the forest for the tree. I won't name names on here of players but I could call them up and we could three way discuss everything with alot of them.

And to further it i am upset that a proud program has supporters so short sighted that they are unable to really be true supporters but then again only one school I have been at where all the parents, administration, fans were all on the same page and all we really did at Kennedy was win
All respect coach, and I agree with you on several things you have said. A lot of the assistant coaches in the program want to be a part of the McK name they turn their head to things going on, instead of speaking up for the kids. I am a hands on person with these kids, I have a cousin on the coaching staff, and I help out with the Hartford kids. I hear and see a lot. Some of us as McK fans are tired of the average play, especially when there is still talent in the city. Our top athletes in the city go to St. V, they say the coaches relate better to them. In football the kids go to Massillon. McK still can be on top some years, but we need coaches, who can also mentor and relate to the kids. Much respect to you. You would be surprised on who says these things behind the scenes!

All respect coach, and I agree with you on several things you have said. A lot of the assistant coaches in the program want to be a part of the McK name they turn their head to things going on, instead of speaking up for the kids. I am a hands on person with these kids, I have a cousin on the coaching staff, and I help out with the Hartford kids. I hear and see a lot. Some of us as McK fans are tired of the average play, especially when there is still talent in the city. Our top athletes in the city go to St. V, they say the coaches relate better to them. In football the kids go to Massillon. McK still can be on top some years, but we need coaches, who can also mentor and relate to the kids. Much respect to you. You would be surprised on who says these things behind the scenes!
Alot of solid comments here. i will say this i know kids who chose svsm over other schools its not the relating to them its the opportunity that the school presents to play basketball there. football i wont speak on but i can tell you from two kids who transferred into canton one originally from canton city and the other chose to move down to the city. its not all rainbows and sunshine there. i have heard the sales pitch to kids its interesting if your kid is good enough to hear that pitch.

Let's level here say there are 7 execeptional basketball players at hartford this year. i dont know specifics im just spitballing. here is the problem with parents and kids today and you can tell me im wrong but i sat in these closed door meetings.

the third best player his parents and him today instead of going and being apart of something special the other area schools are coming at them saying why be third or second best when you can come to our school and be best. alot of these kids mindset is incorrect. and there arevery few kids today that have the mental makeup to go and try to be apart of somerhing in a lesser role vs trying to get their shine on.

here is one of my last statements on this. i hope as many quality good young men go to McKinley to experience what its like to play there and be a part of the tradition but end of the day in this instant gratification era im not sure it will ever be like some parents and fans want it to be.

So in hindsight alot of the kids arent choosing other schools over coaches. the parents are choosing other schools cause f the coaches, players are choosing promises over realities sometimes. i have been in the room where parents have said my kid is guaranteed to start over at school y what can you promise, or my kid is gonna get x amount of shots a game. and i have sat there as coaches have told these kids you will get everything you deserve based on the amount of time you put into this program. guess what parents dont like hearing that so they go other places and if it were my program the parents and kids who feel entitled and dont want coached up and pushed they can go wherever they want good luck and god bless

Alot of solid comments here. i will say this i know kids who chose svsm over other schools its not the relating to them its the opportunity that the school presents to play basketball there. football i wont speak on but i can tell you from two kids who transferred into canton one originally from canton city and the other chose to move down to the city. its not all rainbows and sunshine there. i have heard the sales pitch to kids its interesting if your kid is good enough to hear that pitch.

Let's level here say there are 7 execeptional basketball players at hartford this year. i dont know specifics im just spitballing. here is the problem with parents and kids today and you can tell me im wrong but i sat in these closed door meetings.

the third best player his parents and him today instead of going and being apart of something special the other area schools are coming at them saying why be third or second best when you can come to our school and be best. alot of these kids mindset is incorrect. and there arevery few kids today that have the mental makeup to go and try to be apart of somerhing in a lesser role vs trying to get their shine on.

here is one of my last statements on this. i hope as many quality good young men go to McKinley to experience what its like to play there and be a part of the tradition but end of the day in this instant gratification era im not sure it will ever be like some parents and fans want it to be.

So in hindsight alot of the kids arent choosing other schools over coaches. the parents are choosing other schools cause f the coaches, players are choosing promises over realities sometimes. i have been in the room where parents have said my kid is guaranteed to start over at school y what can you promise, or my kid is gonna get x amount of shots a game. and i have sat there as coaches have told these kids you will get everything you deserve based on the amount of time you put into this program. guess what parents dont like hearing that so they go other places and if it were my program the parents and kids who feel entitled and dont want coached up and pushed they can go wherever they want good luck and god bless
I agree with what you are saying, but I have been told by a couple of the parents at Hartford that there kids will not be attending McKinley if that coach is still there. That's a fact. At the banquet only 5 seniors showed up out of 11, that is circulating through the community.

I agree with what you are saying, but I have been told by a couple of the parents at Hartford that there kids will not be attending McKinley if that coach is still there. That's a fact. At the banquet only 5 seniors showed up out of 11, that is circulating through the community.
Wow!!!!! Only 5 seniors out of 11 showed up for the basketball banquet!!!! That’s a RED Flag.??

and let me tell you only 5 showing up is really a bad look for the program i will agree. since i was unaware of that i will find out the ones that werent there. after i find that out i will be able to better respond to everyone on here. if its the ones im thinking i will be very disappointed

and let me tell you only 5 showing up is really a bad look for the program i will agree. since i was unaware of that i will find out the ones that werent there. after i find that out i will be able to better respond to everyone on here. if its the ones im thinking i will be very disappointed
Thank you. Go talk to those kids and their parents if you are able to. Please research thoroughly. Also, after talking with the kids and their parents; you need to have a sit down with the principal, and AD and let them know what you have learned. They should be told first before us.

Thanks coach, help us to understand

Reading the chain of text here recently is very concerning to me. I'll be interested to see how this all plays out but I can tell you IMO there's no good reason to use foul language as a coach. The one example I use is I'm guessing the St. Ignatius football and basketball coaches don't use foul language and on the other hand my guess is if this is true he doesn't use any language these players don't hear on the streets or at home or use themselves. As a fan I'm so tired of the constant drama between coaches at McKinley and the community of Canton and the attitude they have towards anything that goes on at McKinley they don't approve of. Let the conversation continue but IMO when it comes to coaches or players don't let the door hit you in the back side on the way out.

By the way this so called super star at Hartford isn't his dad on the McKinley coaching staff now?

I have read through this thread of posts and find it all very troublesome. Coach V., all things considered, is the best overall head basketball coach at Canton McKinley since Dave Hoover, and his state title teams. Let's be frank here, its getting to the point that either through social pressures, mean-spirited parents, and over-hyped student-athletes, that predominate black communities now want want black head coaches, be it basketball, baseball, football, etc. A white head coach in an urban setting, which is where Canton McKinley now finds itself, has a lot of crap to overcome with black bias against him. This BS was all well exposed during the head football coach Ron Johnson's tenure at Canton. The man coaches three consecutive victories over arch-rival Massillon, and gets run out of town. Why? Because many of the parents of the black players felt that they didn't get enough focus on college scholarship opportunities. I heard directly from some of the black parents, and they conveniently over-looked that their kids were hanging out with gangs; were not showing up for special academic assistance programs, instituted by the head coach, and the illogic goes on and on. Many of these kids just don't want to be held accountable and want special privileges. Its all enough to make you want to vomit. I for one, have not attended a Bulldog basketball game in 17 years and don't plan on ever going back, simply because of certain idiots in certain community areas who are so prejudice that they cannot be reasoned with. There is a very talented white kid who played both the Freshman and JV McKinley teams and next year, should he not leave, be a very fine player as a Junior at Canton McKinley. But you have people who don't even want to see white kids playing for Canton basketball teams, no matter how good of a kid and player he or she might be, as they same prejudice is very evident in the girls basketball program at McKinley. Either knock off this crap or just ban white players and white coaches from Canton McKinley and move on to another life.

Well said long time backer myself are tired of this crap that seems to float around this program, no matter what the sport is this is so disappointing with the facility's that are there for the kids , its a shame for all