2019 StX Football

The kids told me that Liam Clifford ran a 40 in the 4.4's at TN camp last week. Don't know if this is laser or by hand. Hope the new OC can get the ball in his hands quite often. He seemed to do that quite well with the young man that started at Purdue last year as a freshman and came from Trinity.

https://247sports.com/Article/The-S...incinnati-Michigan-and-Pitt-offers-128731491/

Athlete Liam Clifford is one of Ohio's top 2021 prospects

From the article...

"A lot of schools are recruiting me as an athlete, but I think right now I fit best as a wide receiver. They might play me at safety in certain packages this year."

"I was timed at a 4.4 forty at the Best of the Midwest in Indianapolis last February."

He holds offers from Cincinnati, Michigan, Pittsburgh, and Toledo.

Vrsansky is the real deal. He can change directions and make cuts like few kids I have seen at this age. Don't be fooled by his size, he is very powerful and is going to run over some people.

Vrsansky is the real deal. He can change directions and make cuts like few kids I have seen at this age. Don't be fooled by his size, he is very powerful and is going to run over some people.

He may be a factor in Newman’s decision to “concentrate on track”

https://247sports.com/Article/The-S...incinnati-Michigan-and-Pitt-offers-128731491/

Athlete Liam Clifford is one of Ohio's top 2021 prospects

From the article...

"A lot of schools are recruiting me as an athlete, but I think right now I fit best as a wide receiver. They might play me at safety in certain packages this year."

"I was timed at a 4.4 forty at the Best of the Midwest in Indianapolis last February."

He holds offers from Cincinnati, Michigan, Pittsburgh, and Toledo.

I’ve been thinking about a secondary with Hundley and Clifford.
Fast and physical.

The offense will be well ahead of the defense at the start of camp.
Coverdale has plenty of skill players to move the ball past the goal line.
The biggest keys to the season IMHO are the maturation of our QB and development of our lines on both sides of the ball

Yes it does. There is an one time exception if the student transfer back into the public school district where they reside. If however they are transferring to a district that is not their "home district" they will only be able to play the first five games.

Transfer rules are constantly changing. I haven’t checked if there was a change for 2019 but as of 2018. A kid at an all boys / all girls private schools can transfer to a Co-Ed private and be immediately eligible for the full season. There are other academic / special needs circumstances that can be used for immediate eligibility.
You can also transfer to your home public school or another public school providing they have open enrollment and be eligible immediately.
The distance rule I’m pretty sure has always been in place.

Either way leaving X for any public school just to get to college six months early is a bad, short sighted decision. I’m happy that these schools haven’t caved in and allowed kids to graduate early for athletic reasons.

The biggest keys to the season IMHO are the maturation of our QB and development of our lines on both sides of the ball

Having a QB with a year under his belt along with experienced receivers like Lang and Clifford will certainly be a big advantage. The problems that plagued the offense last year will continue if not addressed. A QB prone to turnovers and inconsistent offensive line play.

Too often last year multiple offensive linemen didnt get a hand on a defender. Im no expert but I wonder if simplifying the blocking schemes would help. Whatever the solution the line needs to get better.

QB has a lot of talent, but needs to learn to take better care of the ball. He had a lot of fumbles in addition to a dozen picks. If he can cut down on turnovers I think he can have a heck of a year

Is Coverdale the OC from Lou Trinity? I wonder how he will charge up this offense that has had its struggles in the past several years, aside from injuries.

Is Coverdale the OC from Lou Trinity? I wonder how he will charge up this offense that has had its struggles in the past several years, aside from injuries.

As a fan with admittedly limited knowledge here is my advice

1. Find a way to get the QB to cut down on turnovers. QB was responsible for 22 turnovers (including lost fumbles) which will impede the best of offenses

2. Simplify the blocking schemes. Too often linemen were caught not getting their hands on defenders, especially when pulling

3. Target Marshall Lang at least 7-8 times a game. He is a big target with good hands. He should be very tough to cover. He had 22 catches last year, he should average 5 catches this year. St X did the same thing with Noah Davis He had 32 catches as a senior, decent but when you have a 6'5 target with good hands he should be getting the ball more often.

4. Be tough, not tricky inside the 5 yard line. St X may not have Parris Johnson but they should still have a big line. Your line will have the size advantage over any defense. I would find the right guys for the "heavy package" and spend a good bit of camp getting them in sync to overpower any defense inside the five yard line.

I would add getting Clifford as many touches as possible. He's the best offensive weapon so hopefully passes caught and jet sweeps etc.

concur on turnovers, and that 22 number is magnified in that those were in the 5 regular season losses, so average of 4 per game is the proverbial shooting one's self in the foot.

1. There is post back in late May from one of the dad's in Kellen's class. Kellen was up in the air, has track and lax college opportunities and weighing potential injury factor.

2. Just heard from the kids that Hudepohl is likely not playing, has some MLB scout workouts or combines of some type in the early fall.

Reload, let us know since you are the source guru. Would presume QB is then Sr. Rueve or Liam Clifford moves over??

Hudepohl definitely not coming back- focusing all efforts on baseball
It is unfortunate he waited so soon before the start of the season to inform the coaches. I am sure they could have used the advance notice. Having said that, I am not sure there will be a drop off with Reuve as the starter. He has the ability to make big plays and if he can cut down on turnovers from the QB position I think the offense will be better.

Officially worried about where Reload might be. He has never stayed away this long particularly this deep into camp. Disappointing if we don't have anybody that can give us some detailed information.

Wondering if it had anything to do with this years coaching changes?? Holding out to see if he provides some insights after Saturday's intra-squad scrimmage...

I posted this on the other board but it never transferred over after the new update so I am updating with the most current info that I have. Here is what I saw after the 7 x 7 with a few updates

Here is my take based on what we saw at 7 x 7 which is mostly skilled position players.

QB: Rueve will start and it looks like Brogan and Max are battling for the back up spots. Wyche has moved to JV and Ryan has changed positions. Not sure if Clifford will get a wild cat package or not but thus far haven't seen him under center. The key is to find out what Rueve can do well and set him up for success, Coverdale seems to be doing this already. He threw some nice balls in the 7 x 7 but I will reserve judgement until we see how he performs in pads. So far based on what I have seen he is doing well and has a pretty good command of the offense. Overall the offensive scheme is leaps and bounds ahead of anything that we have seen in the past few years at X. Coverdale is a bad dude!!!

RB: Newman and Bracken will command most of the carries with a sprinkling of Vrsansky getting a few carries and lining up in the slot and catching some passes out of the backfield.

Receivers: Probably the most talented position on the team. Clifford has size and speed so they will look to get him the ball. Lucas Cates, Jalen Patterson Drew Britt and Owen Smith are all getting reps at the various receiver spots. Drew Maier and Marshall Lang are getting the reps at the TE spot. All of these guys can catch the ball and run solid routes, some better than others so it will be interesting to see how that shakes out when the pads go on. All of them have good height. Other than liam none of them are really blazing fast but if they all seem to have adequate speed and are able to catch it.

O Line I know that Keith, Kirby, and Uhl sp?? are running with the first team, not sure who the other starters are

Defense
DBs will be a young crew currently I saw Marquise running at one corner and Wiles at the other. Gabe is at safety. Hunley and Klaus will probably be the other safeties. The team we scrimmaged(1st scrimmage) was very athletic and got behind us quite a bit which is concerning but its only 7 x 7 so not to worried yet. Not sure what the O line (FOOLS ) will look like, we know Kirby is back and so is the center. I know Gio is on the D line this year at Nose Guard not sure of the names of the two ends yet.

Kids seem to be picking up the new offense, it is definitely more creative than what we have run in the past, it will be hard to stop if the running game has any measure of success. Get your popcorn ready. That's my 2 cents for early in the season.

Only thing I can add is that Sophs Collins (T) and Parker (G) running with the 1's on o-line and that there has been some rotation as the coaches determine who will play where. Heard that Eckert is going at one of the DE positions and that LB has some rotation with Taylor and O'Malley set.

Trying to confirm the intra-squad scrimmage start time on Saturday morning. Does is start at 0800 Hrs. ?

P.S. Go Bombers !!!

Trying to confirm the intra-squad scrimmage start time on Saturday morning. Does is start at 0800 Hrs. ?

P.S. Go Bombers !!!
on the schedule it shows practice from 8-12 but says actual scrimmage time is TBD, a bigger question is will the joint practice with Anderson and Lakota West that takes place tomorrow be open to the public???

on the schedule it shows practice from 8-12 but says actual scrimmage time is TBD, a bigger question is will the joint practice with Anderson and Lakota West that takes place tomorrow be open to the public???
6pm Friday 8/9 joint practice with Anderson and Lakota west

Well the first scrimmage is in the books and based on what I saw I would rate our overall performance as a B

Offense

QB
Rueve played solid made good decisions his accuracy improved as the day went on. He took what the defense gave him and didn’t try to be a hero.

O-line
This group is young two sophomores appear to be starting. Overall they did well but they will need to grow up quick. Pass blocking I would rate at B- run block C

RB
Newman is the starter seemed to run it well Bracken also looked solid. Vrsansky is the 3rd option All seem to be versatile. Newman had several nice runs and a nice catch. Bracken ran it hard when he got touches

Receivers

Clifford didn’t play. Jalen Patterson could be in store for a big season if teams double Clifford. Britt did a nice job in the slot he had a lot of catches. Lang also looked solid he is a big target. Overall B- too many dropped balls from some of the receivers we have to execute you can’t drop easy passes when u are wide open.

Defense

Overall B-

DLine isn’t huge but Gio will cause problems in the middle. Ends were solid

Safety and linebacker

Gabe, Hunley , Klaus ,O’Malley and Taylor all played solid. This group will pick some balls off this year. I apologize for the names I didn’t have a roster. I know some first names and some last names

CB
Overall C-
This position worries me most. They aren’t smooth in the hips when turning and running they didn’t do a good job of getting their heads around when the ball was in the air. Neither one of the starters look like natural corners. This position will need to be coached up or there will be problems

Kicking game

I was pleasantly surprised here. He drilled the extra points and was accurate on his field goal attempts Doesn’t have a huge leg but seems reliable from 25-30 yards in and I will take that all day

Punter

Noah Taylor was solid here

That’s my 2 cents

Last edited:
Well the first scrimmage is in the books and based on what I saw I would rate our overall performance as a B

Offense

QB
Rueve played solid made good decisions his accuracy improved as the day went on. He took what the defense gave him and didn’t try to be a hero.

O-line
This group is young two sophomores appear to be starting. Overall they did well but they will need to grow up quick. Pass blocking I would rate at B- run block C

RB
Newman is the starter seemed to run it well Bracken also looked solid. Vrsansky is the 3rd option All seem to be versatile. Newman had several nice runs and a nice catch. Bracken ran it hard when he got touches

Receivers

Clifford didn’t play. Jalen Patterson could be in store for a big season if teams double Clifford. Britt did a nice job in the slot he had a lot of catches. Lang also looked solid he is a big target. Overall B- too many dropped balls from some of the receivers we have to execute you can’t drop easy passes when u are wide open.

Defense

Overall B-

DLine isn’t huge but Gio will cause problems in the middle. Ends were solid

Safety and linebacker

Gabe, Hunley , Klaus ,O’Malley and Taylor all played solid. This group will pick some balls off this year. I apologize for the names I didn’t have a roster. I know some first names and some last names

CB
Overall C-
This position worries me most. They aren’t smooth in the hips when turning and running they didn’t do a good job of getting their heads around when the ball was in the air. Neither one of the starters look like natural corners. This position will need to be coached up or there will be problems

Kicking game

I was pleasantly surprised here. He drilled the extra points and was accurate on his field goal attempts Doesn’t have a huge leg but seems reliable from 25-30 yards in and I will take that all day

Punter

Noah Taylor was solid here

That’s my 2 cents
Thanks as always - hard to believe we are a little more than 2.5 weeks away!

Is Reload really retired. Inquiring minds want to know.

P.S. Go Bombers !!!
His last post, as far as I can tell, was June 7. However, if you click on his icon, it says "last seen" on Monday at 2:34pm. So he at least appears to be lurking. Reload, you going to tell us what's up?