10:00am - E1 Hilliard Darby def. S2 St Xavier 22-25, 25-23, 25-23, 23-25, 15-10
11:45am - S1 Archbishop Moeller def. E2 Olentangy 23-25, 31-29, 25-22, 25-21
1:30pm - W2 Northmont def. N1 St Ignatius 25-22, 25-19, 25-21
3:15pm - W1 Beavercreek def. N2 Jackson 28-26, 25-16, 25-22

Division II Semifinals
5:00pm - W1 Archbishop Alter def. N1 Archbishop Hoban 25-17, 25-13, 25-20
6:45pm - E1 St Charles def. S1 LaSalle 25-15, 25-23, 25-22

Sunday, June 3:

10:00am - Division I Semifinal - Hilliard Darby def. Northmont 25-20, 21-25, 21-25, 27-25, 15-13
12:00pm - Division I Semifinal - Archbishop Moeller def. Beavercreek 27-25, 23-25, 25-18, 25-14

2:00pm - Division II State Final - St Charles def. Archbishop Alter 25-19, 14-25, 25-16, 28-26

4:00pm - Division I State Final - Archbishop Moeller def. Hilliard Darby 25-22, 25-22, 25-18

Last edited:

Saturday, June 2:

Division I Quarterfinals

10:00am - E1 Hilliard Darby vs. S2 St Xavier

11:45am - S1 Archbishop Moeller vs. E2 Olentangy

1:30pm - N1 St Ignatius vs. W2 Beavercreek

3:15pm - W1 Northmont vs. N2 Jackson

Division II Semifinals

5:00pm - N1 Archbishop Hoban vs. W1 Archbishop Alter

6:45pm - S1 LaSalle vs. E1 St Charles

Sunday, June 3:

10:00am - Division I Semifinal - E1/S2 vs. W1/N2

12:00pm - Division I Semifinal - S1/E2 vs. N1/W2

2:00pm - Division II State Final - N1/W1 vs. S1/E1

4:00pm - Division I State Final - N1/E2/W1/N2 vs. S1/E2/N1/W2

Corrected D1 matchups
http://www.ohioboysvolleyball.com/docs/brackets/D1State.php?season=2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X over Darby in 4
Moeller over Olentangy in 3
Beavercreek over Jackson in 3
Northmont over Ignatius in 4

X over Northmont in 3
Moeller over Beavercreek in 4

X over Moeller in 4

Alter over Hoban in 3
St Charles over Lasalle in 4

Alter over St Charles in 3

No one else wants to jump in with predictions?
My feeling is that in both D1 and D2 there are not going to be many upsets. The talent gap seems pretty wide this year.

So I'll add a little twist to the predictions by assigning % chance of each team winning the championship.

D1
St Xavier - 40%
Moeller - 30%
Darby - 15%
Beavercreek - 5%
Olentangy - 5%
Northmont - 2%
Ignatius - 2%
Jackson - 1%

D2
Alter - 80%
St. Charles - 10%
Hoban - 8%
LaSalle - 2%

Was waiting to see if there were other predictions as well, here are mine:

St X over Darby in 4
Moeller over Olentangy in 4
Beavercreek over Jackson in 3
Northmont over St Ignatius in 4

St Xavier over Northmont in 4
Moeller over Beavercreek in 3

Moeller over St Xavier in 4

Alter over Hoban in 3
St Charles over LaSalle in 5

Alter over St Charles in 4

Moeller takes out Darby in straight sets 25-22, 25-22, 25-18. Second runner-up finish in a row for the Panthers. Crusaders with their first title since 2012.

Last edited:
Congrats to Moeller! Best team all year from start to finish.

Congrats to Panthers as well. That’s 5 State title game appearances in last 7 years. Keep it rollin!

Congrats to Moeller! Best team all year from start to finish.

Congrats to Panthers as well. That’s 5 State title game appearances in last 7 years. Keep it rollin!

Moeller is a class act and deserved it. I have a feeling you haven't heard the last from this group @ Darby. Some nice talent returning.

That Semifinal match against Northmont didn't help Darby, nothing like fighting for your playoff life in a 5-set thriller, only to face the best and most consistent team all year.

Congratulations to Moeller! I was definitely a skeptic at the beginning of the year, but the two sophomore starters filled the most glaring needs exceptionally. Devolve, Peed, and Kiser all had FANTASTIC years for Moeller carrying the team to quite a few of their victories. Lastly, well done to the Moeller coaching staff

On the D1 side you could make an argument that 6 of the 8 could have won the final. Officiating definitely had an impact in some of the critical situations. Late in the second set of the Olentangy/ Moeller match there was a critical touch call that could have changed that match. If Olentangy goes up 2-0 we could be talking about a different final. If Beavercreek takes set 1 against Moeller same thing. What we saw with Moeller and Darby is both teams earned the points that mattered when it was close to advance to the final.

Overall, the officiating was an embarrassment. Someone told me that they thought one of the line judges was a spouse of a coach. There was only one line judge that I felt was even half way decent. We were better off having the kids line judge. The R1 in the Darby-Northmont match should never do a match again. Very arrogant giving cards out like candy in a very heated match. How many actual calls did he make?

Overall, some great matches. Semifinal games were championship caliber. Moeller definitely was the class of D1. Never saw Alter losing as a possibility. Thought St. Charles had better overall defense and were more aggressive with their shot selection/execution. Congrats to all of the state participants on a great season.

The officiating all year was pretty bad from what I saw. Extremely inconsistent from ref to ref (some variance I understand, but it was crazy how differently games were called, and that has an effect on how players play).

I was pretty surprised to see St. X lose to Darby - I figured St. X would be around on Sunday. Anyone know what went wrong for X or right for Darby?

I know Darby loses Beulow - but is Darby a strong favorite for next year?

Congrats to Moe on a really great year - they have some big shoes to fill, but Moe usually reloads well.

And Congrats to St Charles for knocking of Alter - finally someone was able to do it :)

The officiating all year was pretty bad from what I saw. Extremely inconsistent from ref to ref (some variance I understand, but it was crazy how differently games were called, and that has an effect on how players play).

I was pretty surprised to see St. X lose to Darby - I figured St. X would be around on Sunday. Anyone know what went wrong for X or right for Darby?

Congrats to Moe on a really great year - they have some big shoes to fill, but Moe usually reloads well.

And Congrats to St Charles for knocking of Alter - finally someone was able to do it :)

Didn’t Darby setter have hamstring injury much of the season? Some of the Darby scores you saw this season were misleading with the injury. I didn’t make it to any games this year like I normally do. But pretty sure this was at least part of the reason.

To answer your questions: Darby just matched up well with St X. Darby's strength seemed to be running through the middle, while blocking in the middle was St X's biggest weakness this year. Another observation I have is inconsistencies in the St X starting lineup. In the Darby 5 set match St X ran out 3 different starting lineups. I understand if things aren't working, but if you lose a game 23-25 is it really worth changing what position kids are playing? Maybe it is, maybe it isn't but at the high school level I'd imagine the players want to get into some sort of groove playing the same position.

Darby is more than likely the front runner for next year. In the South, a lot of the players on the 17-1 team are from outside of the GCL. Moeller, X, and Elder will all be top 5 teams in the state, but I don't think any of them will be as good as they were this year (Elder the only possible exception). I believe Darby brings back all starters outside of Buelow?