2018 Football

How do you know this? It sounds like you're just making stuff up

I don’t make stuff up- never have. They have been asking for input about facilities development and there is no current plan for a football field/stadium on that property.

I don’t make stuff up- never have. They have been asking for input about facilities development and there is no current plan for a football field/stadium on that property.

No plans for football today, however, if the money is raised, a football stadium will become reality.

That's actually a great idea, not sure which property in Madeira they convince to put the steps on but that's definitely feasible. Still not sure I see the seating capacity working out (but I don't actually know what attendance is at Moe games either to be fair) but if it does I don't see why they haven't pursued that more...

That parking lot is packed on Friday nights with restaurant business. Hard to get a spot so not sure this is viable option.

That parking lot is packed on Friday nights with restaurant business. Hard to get a spot so not sure this is viable option.

True. Talk of using Madeira was back before Cooper Hawk opened right there in Kenwood. I think they need to get the guys that raised the money for the renovation of the locker room to start a committee to raise money for a stadium. Those guys raised a lot of money in a few years to get that project done.

True. Talk of using Madeira was back before Cooper Hawk opened right there in Kenwood. I think they need to get the guys that raised the money for the renovation of the locker room to start a committee to raise money for a stadium. Those guys raised a lot of money in a few years to get that project done.

Not sure who's still around or involved beyond Dom at this point, but something the magnitude of a football facility is a significantly larger commitment then the renovation of the locker room, but I don't disagree.

I'd like to see a long term facilities plan put together by the school...maybe they are doing that, not sure. But...I can think of other facility priorities currently on campus that also need addressing.

I know they're a year away from finishing the academic upgrades to the classrooms and I can't tell you how lucky these kids are now to have a/c in those classrooms! Glad to see that finally accomplished.

They never fully finished the auditorium and old gym. The Gallenstein Center is really starting to show it's age and...to me...need a major face lift or a replacement.

Let me conclude this by saying I'm not complaining, but the two things I would love the school to address at this point are: tuition costs and facilities.

Whether there's a football stadium put on that property or not, a more permanent solution for football needs to finally be addressed.

How do you know this? It sounds like you're just making stuff up

He’s not. I’ve heard the same thing. It would be similar to Elder’s PAC facility. The reason for not placing a football stadium there is it would take an immense infrastructure project that Moe is not in position to engage. It’s not just the cost of the field, seats, & locker rooms. You’re talking about major sub-terranean drainage, sewage system for restrooms, and large parking accommodations. The cost difference between a permanent baseball (and possibly other sports) facility compared to a football stadium is significant.

Where does the baseball team practice?

As far as Moeller having their own stadium for football....I just do not see it happening. As most have eluded to the cost of such a project would be astronomical. They only play five home games a year. Soccer crowds can be accommodated with the current back field so they do not “need” another place to play. The only way I could see it happening is if the school transplants to another location. Someone mentioned in one of these threads that there was once some talk of Moeller and one of the girl schools combining and moving to a big school. Cool idea but obviously nothing came out of it.

Not sure who's still around or involved beyond Dom at this point, but something the magnitude of a football facility is a significantly larger commitment then the renovation of the locker room, but I don't disagree.

I'd like to see a long term facilities plan put together by the school...maybe they are doing that, not sure. But...I can think of other facility priorities currently on campus that also need addressing.

I know they're a year away from finishing the academic upgrades to the classrooms and I can't tell you how lucky these kids are now to have a/c in those classrooms! Glad to see that finally accomplished.

They never fully finished the auditorium and old gym. The Gallenstein Center is really starting to show it's age and...to me...need a major face lift or a replacement.

Let me conclude this by saying I'm not complaining, but the two things I would love the school to address at this point are: tuition costs and facilities.

Whether there's a football stadium put on that property or not, a more permanent solution for football needs to finally be addressed.

They are addressing the facilities in the near future. Football stadium does not seem to be a priority, likely because it is the hardest to achieve and the least utilized.

They are addressing the facilities in the near future. Football stadium does not seem to be a priority, likely because it is the hardest to achieve and the least utilized.

Thank you for that update, much appreciated.

I’m fine with not having a stadium, but there has got to be a better, long term solution. Very disappointing that relations seem so bad with Sycamore that there can’t seem to be an adult conversation about renting.

I think I’m still in the crowd of using Madeira for sparsely attended games and Nippert for others, but man is that sad.

I’m fine with not having a stadium, but there has got to be a better, long term solution. Very disappointing that relations seem so bad with Sycamore that there can’t seem to be an adult conversation about renting.

Makes ripping their heart out in the 21 point, come from behind victory in the first round of the playoffs at Sycamore in 07' (hard to believe that was 12 years ago) even sweeter :)

:party:

Makes ripping their heart out in the 21 point, come from behind victory in the first round of the playoffs at Sycamore in 07' (hard to believe that was 12 years ago) even sweeter :)

What a game that was. Heck of a win.

youtube.com/watch?v=k0DJXFnqJmY

That block M...

Some more chatter this week on the class of 2019- several have received offers or went on visits. Gabe Duffy committed to Dayton; Stone Dixon to Valparaiso; Choi, Junker, Bradfish and Boggs got offers from D3 schools. Did Moeller change their policy regarding “signing day”- a few years back Asbeck decided D3 commits would not be a part of Moeller’s signing day. Which is justifiable considering there is no NLI as there are no athletic scholarships. Still, most if not all area schools do include all levels of college commitments to honor the student athletes that are going on to play.

Some more chatter this week on the class of 2019- several have received offers or went on visits. Gabe Duffy committed to Dayton; Stone Dixon to Valparaiso; Choi, Junker, Bradfish and Boggs got offers from D3 schools. Did Moeller change their policy regarding “signing day”- a few years back Asbeck decided D3 commits would not be a part of Moeller’s signing day. Which is justifiable considering there is no NLI as there are no athletic scholarships. Still, most if not all area schools do include all levels of college commitments to honor the student athletes that are going on to play.

While I think the signing day is overblown I’m not sure I would single out the kids signing DIII. The entire things is a ceremonial process as the kids with scholarship could sign and fax from home or the AD office I wonder how they would treat kids going to UD or Valpo as those schools while FCS don’t offer athletic scholarships

While I think the signing day is overblown I’m not sure I would single out the kids signing DIII. The entire things is a ceremonial process as the kids with scholarship could sign and fax from home or the AD office I wonder how they would treat kids going to UD or Valpo as those schools while FCS don’t offer athletic scholarships

Agreed. Why would you exclude the d3 kids? Extremely small minded, what is there to gain by doing so?

They did have this rule at least one year a few years back- some parents were upset especially from other sports where so few go on to play in college and it would have been a nice moment for their Moeller programs to celebrate.. Just an example- lacrosse had a very small number of D1 college programs so even getting to play D3 is a big deal from a non- traditional recruiting area like Ohio was a few years back. Why would you not celebrate that?

Also Patriot (some) & Ivy League- no schalships, but if a kid like Raga at Princeton did not get to sign that would be silly. pWhat about a preferred walk on at say Notre Dame or Ohio State? I just remember hearing about it from some of the then senior parents (maybe 2015?) who had expected their kids to be a part of the signing day and weren’t.

Well, Sycamore’s starting QB transferred into Moeller a few weeks ago, it probably left a bad taste in The Ave’s mouth. Im sure they aren’t in the mood to negotiate a plan to help a Moe out with their stadium problems

This is disappointing seeing that only 6.9% of all high school football players go on to play college football at one of the three different levels. Here's an interesting chart from the NCAA:

Probability of playing sports in college

Someone playing DIII should get just as much recognition because they still have to be accepted and in most DIII schools put in as much or more time to play football as DIs.

What is funny about DIII is that they find other ways to provide money. I know of a young man who was big and strong and mean on the football field but did not have the height or speed for DI OL. So he went the DIII route. During the process it was almost comical the academic scholarships and aid this person was offered. :laugh: He still had room & board and tuition payments but it wasn't close to what he would have paid as a normal student.

Anyway just to get accepted and play Football at any level of college is an honor that should be recognized seeing as only 6.9% of all high school football players go on to the next level.

Last edited:
I totally agree. Again, it may have just been that one year- was asking if that policy was still in place. Someone told me one year they just had the D3 kids join another ceremony at the end of the school year- not sure if accurate.

This is disappointing seeing that only 6.9% of all high school football players go on to play college football at one of the three different levels. Here's an interesting chart from the NCAA:

Someone playing DIII should get just as much recognition because they still have to be accepted and in most DIII schools put in as much or more time to play football as DIs.

What is funny about DIII is that they find other ways to provide money. I know of a young man who was big and strong and mean on the football field but did not have the height or speed for DI OL. So he went the DIII route. During the process it was almost comical the academic scholarships and aid this person was offered. :laugh: He still had room & board and tuition payments but it wasn't close to what he would have paid as a normal student.

Anyway just to get accepted and play Football at any level of college is an honor that should be recognized seeing as only 6.9% of all high school football players go on to the next level.[/QUOTE

Yes and no. I get what you're saying but if that was totally true every non d1 qualifier would get full rides to MSJ, Wilmington, Denison, Wittenberg etc.

And academic money is great but the moment your gpa slips that $ is gone. New plenty of guys in college (d2-small liberal arts college) who lost that academic money after their freshman year.

These signing ceremonies are really for the players and their families. I really don't see the big deal in including kids going on to DIII. I would argue that the DIII kids have scored a bigger accomplishment than those signing with DII. DII school are only allowed to offer the equivalent of 36 full scholarships. That means that most every kid playing DII is only receiving a partial scholarship. The DIII schools are generally much better academically and much harder to get accepted to. Schools like Carnegie Mellon, U Chicago, Tufts etc usually accept less than 10% of the kids who apply. I know kids who have turned down DII money to attend a more prestigious DIII school.

Having said all that I think every athlete regardless of division should get their moment in the sun and be allowed to participate in signing day. Its a nice recognition that their hard work paid off.

Anyway just to get accepted and play Football at any level of college is an honor that should be recognized seeing as only 6.9% of all high school football players go on to the next level.[/QUOTE

Yes and no. I get what you're saying but if that was totally true every non d1 qualifier would get full rides to MSJ, Wilmington, Denison, Wittenberg etc.

And academic money is great but the moment your gpa slips that $ is gone. New plenty of guys in college (d2-small liberal arts college) who lost that academic money after their freshman year.

Every school has different requirements for retaining academic scholarships, up to the student to attain that standard whether you are an athlete or not. Athletic $ isn’t guaranteed either but at least with merit aid if you get hurt, the coach decides to cut you or decide not to play your sport anymore you CAN still keep your scholarship.

Every school has different requirements for retaining academic scholarships, up to the student to attain that standard whether you are an athlete or not. Athletic $ isn’t guaranteed either but at least with merit aid if you get hurt, the coach decides to cut you or decide not to play your sport anymore you CAN still keep your scholarship.

very true. flip side to everything.

Anyway just to get accepted and play Football at any level of college is an honor that should be recognized seeing as only 6.9% of all high school football players go on to the next level.

But isn't college about getting a degree?!?!? In fact, at the BCS schools that's partly what is being lost. There is so much money involved with the bowl games and 4 team playoff it's just another form of being a semi pro(with scholarships replacing a paycheck) . Whereas at the D2 and D3 level you still have more of an element of true student/athletes(that is unless you're the Mount Unions of the world :laugh: )

Last edited: