2016 Spike for Tykes

Moeller vs Alter championship game saw lots of energy from both sides, with both teams going crazy after each point they won. I'd say that's pretty good for volleyball, hopefully it continues throughout the state.

Moeller shows its dominance in a big win at this tourney. ANOTHA ONE, and ANOTHA ONE. David wernery for president, Chad mustard is the best setter in the state and Brad buller is the spark

Dominance? They had a very strong week and a half, but let's not get carried away. Werney is a difference maker for sure. Mustard may not even be the best setter in his own league, let alone the rest of the state.

Dominance? They had a very strong week and a half, but let's not get carried away. Werney is a difference maker for sure. Mustard may not even be the best setter in his own league, let alone the rest of the state.

They clearly look like the best team in the state right now. Wernery is up there with cowen for poty, and mustard is playing like first team all gcl. His height and length are crucial. He should be playing basketball with his height and athleticism also. Gifted athlete

They clearly look like the best team in the state right now. Wernery is up there with cowen for poty, and mustard is playing like first team all gcl. His height and length are crucial. He should be playing basketball with his height and athleticism also. Gifted athlete

Clearly? They just lost to Darby a week ago. I have them #1 and one of, if not the hottest team right now but others can and have made a case for Darby which are valid claims.

It will definitely be interesting at the Centerville Tournament with Moeller and Darby. If Moeller keeps playing like they have, I believe they will win, but if the play like they did in their first two games of the season they won't.

It will definitely be interesting at the Centerville Tournament with Moeller and Darby. If Moeller keeps playing like they have, I believe they will win, but if the play like they did in their first two games of the season they won't.

What will be interesting is how the seeds fall. Here are the participants:

Archbishop Moeller
Centerville
Elder
Hilliard Darby
Pickerington North
St Edward
St Ignatius
St Xavier

Typically they seed based on the state rankings, which I would have as:

1. Moeller
2. Darby
3. St Xavier
4. Elder
5. Centerville
6. St Ignatius
7. Pickerington North
8. St Edward

Cowen best setter ever??? I mean let's not forget Dejon Clark is a setter(or at least was) and IMO was better than Cowen. I don't even think he's the best setter his high schools ever seen. I'd give that to Thane Fanfulik

Right now though, Cowen is the best and that's not even a question.

Darby is my No.1, but Moeller is darn good.

Although can somebody explain how Walsh beats X.. Then loses to Alter who was kicked to the curb by Moeller.

Seems like top to bottom the state is just on a roller coaster ride. No real team that will stake at the top like D2 last year.. Or Moeller/Darby 2013. Up and down ride this year

Congrats to Moeller on the tournament victory! Someone stated earlier one of Centerville's best players was missing. Who was it? (Schindler, Harrison?)

The most shocking scorelines for me, were Alter over Walsh and Westerville South taking Elder to 3 and down to the wire. After the beating Moe put on Alter, was not expecting them to be challenge Walsh for the Div 2 crown. Now looks to be a two horse race for the title there.

All of Westerville South's top players are juniors, they could realistically be one of the favorites next year. Still think they fall short this year, but could make it to the final 8 and give someone a very tough matchup.

I would still have Darby over Moeller at this point in the state rankings. Until Darby loses, the top spot is theirs.

To settle the debate about the best setter ever from Ohio, the answer is Steven Kehoe. There isn't even a debate. Won POY and a state championship in high school, then won NCAA tournament MVP and National championship as Ohio State's starting setter. Now he plays professionally overseas.

I agree with Brambleberry on Steven Kehoe, but he's mentioning a lot accolades after Kehoe graduated. I think Cowen has 2 state championship rings and is going for his 3rd(might not be better than Kehoe's high school resume, but definitely isn't worse.). Have to let Cowen's career, out of high school, play out to see what unfolds. Clarke is the best all around player in the state, but he's not the best player at his position. Cowen is the best player at his position IMO. Both are very good, and both going to major colleges.

Did Cowen play at all during the first state championship year? He would have only been a freshmen.

Craig Wessels is up there as one of the best as well. People tend to forget about him when talking about dominant setters.

I agree Kehoe is a stud. He is definitely a better volleyball player and leader than Cowen. I do think Cowen has better setting location than Kehoe. I've never seen a HS setter take a second ball that far out of system and bring the ball into the hitters pocket. I think Kehoe is the best leader Ohio boys volleyball has ever had!

I agree Kehoe is the best ever. But Than is the best in recent memory, and is extremely solid for Quincy. His connection with Kelso was unreal. I would love to see 2013 Darby vs 2008 Elder or any other top team Ohio has ever had.

For D2 I think Walsh/Alter are the favorites, but I think Fenwick and DeSales will have something to say about that. Fenwick lost 3 sets against Alter but a total of 6 points. DeSales also played a solid match against Walsh ... In their least favorite venue in the state(Mt Vernon)

I agree with Brambleberry on Steven Kehoe, but he's mentioning a lot accolades after Kehoe graduated. I think Cowen has 2 state championship rings and is going for his 3rd(might not be better than Kehoe's high school resume, but definitely isn't worse.). Have to let Cowen's career, out of high school, play out to see what unfolds. Clarke is the best all around player in the state, but he's not the best player at his position. Cowen is the best player at his position IMO. Both are very good, and both going to major colleges.

Kehoe was 1st team all state as a junior (when there was only one division and 6 players total from the state made 1st team), led his team to state runner up. Then as a senior, he was POY and St X was state champions. He was a 3 year varsity starter, and I believe started on Cinci Attack 18-1 from the time he was a 16 year old. He, along with Max Holt, had college coaches from every school in the nation watching the Attack matches.

I really like Ian and I think he will have a solid college career, I would have him right there with Wessels as the second best setter in Ohio history

I agree Kehoe is the best ever. But Than is the best in recent memory, and is extremely solid for Quincy. His connection with Kelso was unreal. I would love to see 2013 Darby vs 2008 Elder or any other top team Ohio has ever had.

For D2 I think Walsh/Alter are the favorites, but I think Fenwick and DeSales will have something to say about that. Fenwick lost 3 sets against Alter but a total of 6 points. DeSales also played a solid match against Walsh ... In their least favorite venue in the state(Mt Vernon)

I give 08 Elder the edge in this. Neiheisel/Harpaneau would give Kelso fits

Elder in 4 at worst, they only dropped 2-3 sets all year. That Darby team went to 4 against a young inexperienced Elder team in '13. Even had a chance to go to 5 as game 4 was close.

I think Fenwick can challenge Alter but not sold on SFDS.

Elder in 4 at worst, they only dropped 2-3 sets all year. That Darby team went to 4 against a young inexperienced Elder team in '13. Even had a chance to go to 5 as game 4 was close.

I think Fenwick can challenge Alter but not sold on SFDS.

That Darby team went four with Elder.. but Elder regularly takes it to another level when the state tournament comes around. That is well known. Darby also took 2nd at the Tiger Classic in Chicago. No other team since has even made Gold. Also that team had 5(Kelso, Thane, Brinkerhoff, Bowman, Print) that ended up playing D1 that regularly played on the team. Also Keubler was a key player and he is a stud at MSJ

As to D2.. Im not sold on DeSales... but in this roller coaster year.. with a couple of weapons in Hopson, Baird, and Warren... The team can be dangerous.

I'm speaking in regards to Elder teams on the whole, that 2013 runner-up team likely isn't a top 5 team from Elder in the last 10 years. The '08 is clearly #1. I understand what you mean though, that team took it to another level once they entered the Dome at Walsh.

That was Elder '09. '08 team would have been Malone and Neiheisel.

Of course of course.. How crazy is that? Matt Harpenau watching from the sidelines? Granted he was a sophomore, but that just sounds crazy knowing how great of a player he is now.

Alter is staring down a 3-peat in D2. DeSales won't be any match for them. It's going to come down to Fenwick and Walsh to knock off the Knights.