2015 State Meet

ZfishInMason

The District Meets are completed and the qualifiers for this year's State Swim and Dive Championship are set to clash over the next several days.

These boards have been unusually quiet this year but now is the time for chatter on the meet. It looks to be a VERY fast meet this year with some crazy fast district-level swims!

Have at it! :party:

Alter Knights divers for boys and girls should take 1st today

The Knights are half way home... Claire Schuermann took first place by a comfortable margin. On the boys' side Stuart Spanbauer of Summit Country Day leads after the prelims (the Knights' T. Hagenbuch currently in 4th place).

It is quiet due to the lack of drama. Last year, St. Francis had a legitimate chance to take down St. X. They battled mightily with 6 swimmers, but lost by 17 points. This year, no one has any chance to even put a scare into St. X. This year, the 500 is going to probably be the most exciting final individually, and the 200 free relay will be the tightest final of the relays.

Here is to an exciting few days of swimming and hopefully some teams knocking St. X off of the top step on the relays!!!!!!

After looking at the district meets it will be a surprise if many drop more time. The question is who can maintain their times. Generally if you maintain your district time you will move up in the standings. While X has a lock on the championship 2 through 7 is wide open. The teams that can maintain their times will move up.

The Knights are half way home... Claire Schuermann took first place by a comfortable margin. On the boys' side Stuart Spanbauer of Summit Country Day leads after the prelims (the Knights' T. Hagenbuch currently in 4th place).

Hagenback moved up to 2nd as Spanbauer captured gold by 4 pts.

Middie Swimmer Breaks State Record for 200IM

CONGRATS TO MIDDLETOWN MIDDIE SWIMMER MARK ANDREW FOR A GREAT CAREER

-2015 Swimming State Champion 200 IM. New State Record of 1:46.63!!
-He so came in 2nd in the 500M Freestyle. He led most of the race except touching the wall and lost by 0.09 second.
-Mark Andrew qualified for the Olympic trials in the 400 individual medley in the summer, was named the Most Outstanding Performer at the Greater Miami Conference meet and Saturday night at the C.T. Branin Natatorium in Canton, he concluded his high school career with a state title in the 200 IM in record time.

Last edited:
CONGRATS TO MIDDLETOWN MIDDIE SWIMMER MARK ANDREW FOR A GREAT CAREER

-2015 Swimming State Champion 200 IM. New State Record of 1:46.63!!
-He so came in 2nd in the 500M Freestyle. He led most of the race except touching the wall and lost by 0.09 second.
-Mark Andrew qualified for the Olympic trials in the 400 individual medley in the summer, was named the Most Outstanding Performer at the Greater Miami Conference meet and Saturday night at the C.T. Branin Natatorium in Canton, he concluded his high school career with a state title in the 200 IM in record time.

Absolutely correct Middie 85! I've had the privilege to watch Mark swim for the past 4 years and he's gotten better each year. He's now one of the top swimmers not only in Ohio, but in the U.S. I remember his freshman year in the district 500 free. He was swimming right next to another freshman from Mason and they went stroke-for-stroke for 500 yards, both cutting enormous time from the Sectional meet the week before. The announcer said "Wow! What a swim by two freshman... I think we'll be seeing alot more of those two over the next 4 years". And we did.

Best of luck to Mark at Penn where I'm sure he's going to be a huge positive impact on the swim team and the student community!

An Andrew fan.

The times are impressive, but the amount of time he's dropped over the years is more impressive. No one could predict that he would get the state record in the 200 I.M going into this year. The GMC represented the state and district meet well posting 3 out of the 4 top 500 times this year. Andrew, Mcdonald, Hove (House went a 4:25 untapered early this year.)

Kalvin Koethke's :20.20 in the 50 free is the fastest 50 since Hudepohl's :20.01 in 1992. Be interesting to see if Koethke, a junior, can take down one of the oldest record in the state.

Grant House got closer to the 200 free record, only tenths away now.
Also Tommy Cope will have a shot at Mark Andrews 200 I.M record as well.
Josh McDonald may even have a shot at the 500 free record although he'll have a better shot his senior year.

Kalvin Koethke's :20.20 in the 50 free is the fastest 50 since Hudepohl's :20.01 in 1992. Be interesting to see if Koethke, a junior, can take down one of the oldest record in the state.

Erik Risolvato's 19.62 is the fastest but it occurred in D2 meet.