2014 FAB 50 Added to MH FAB 50 Database

There is almost never anybody from Ohio on this list. What do you guys think it'll take to get players to be good enough to get on the list?

Also what players in the next few years could get on the list?

The only player going D1 next year is Pieper from Moeller, and not to take anything away from him, but Rutgers is not that great of a program. Honestly, this website will almost never look at D3 kids because in their eyes how could you compare a D3 kid to a Cali kid going to USC. There are a few kids playing D3 next year which is great but if your not going D1 its going to be hard for you to get on the list. I am not sure of any upcoming studs though

But in our defense, Middle Hitter doesn't know anything. Half of these kids on this list won't play. Mike Stefani from OSU was on the list and never saw the court..

The only player going D1 next year is Pieper from Moeller, and not to take anything away from him, but Rutgers is not that great of a program.

Actually Rutgers is moving to DIII next year, Pieper is not a DI recruit.
Ironically, his older brother made a fab 50 list.

Vanguard has a couple guys going D2 (which plays in same division as D1, see Lewis).
Both to conference Carolina. Print & McManaway

There are 2 potential DI/II players in Columbus next year in Eichel and Feltz.
Both are being recruited by MIVA & EIVA schools.

When did his brother(Casey im assuming is who you're thinking of) make the list I didn't see his name.. He was an All-American and top notch player!

Eichel and Feltz and both top players

Also Dejon Clark(2016) is also a solid player, heard he made the A1 Roster for this summer!

In addition I've heard some of the younger players in central Ohio made the A2 and A3 Rosters for USA volleyball as well as HP for OVR this summer.. Any hidden gems in there?

So the only players we have had make the list the last many years have been

Owen McAndrews 2012
Rhett Cash 2009
Mark Shipp 2008
John Tholen 2008
Max Holt 2005
Andy Pompeii 2005

Their are many players that have been better in high school and then in college better than a lot of the guys that got this recognition. Steve Kehoe, Lee Meyer, Derek Kues, Greg Herceg, and Jarrod Kelso to name a few.

The only way to make this list as a player from Ohio is to sign with a high level college early on in the signing period, and have your club team perform well at nationals. Honestly, even then Ohio players rarely get recognized.

If you are a high level Ohio player and feel shafted because you aren't on this list I would not sweat it at all and worry more about what college coaches think and work towards impressing them if that is your goal

Ohio has an MIVA player(Anthony Winter), two conference Carolina's(Jesse Print, Matt Mcmanaway), a handful of DIII(Randolph, Storc, Herdeman, Pieper, Evans, Renneker)

My opinion(and see if you agree) is that the Ohio talent is spread out throughout three/four major city areas. Chicago(which has more talent anyway) is all in one major city. Also with Rochester in New York is the major hub along with N.Y.C.

Do you think it'd be better if all the Ohio talent was focused in one area?

I wouldn't necessarily say that, but for the club season if Ohio had one all star team go to nationals they would likely perform better than just Cinci Attack or Vanguard would pulling only local players. Placing higher at these tournaments would be the best way to further the reputation of Ohio volleyball as a whole and get more individual recognition. That's just my opinion though

Ohio has an MIVA player(Anthony Winter), two conference Carolina's(Jesse Print, Matt Mcmanaway), a handful of DIII(Randolph, Storc, Herdeman, Pieper, Evans, Renneker)

My opinion(and see if you agree) is that the Ohio talent is spread out throughout three/four major city areas. Chicago(which has more talent anyway) is all in one major city. Also with Rochester in New York is the major hub along with N.Y.C.

Do you think it'd be better if all the Ohio talent was focused in one area?

That is a great point you bring up. Think about it Chicago is full of great teams, Rochester, Wisconsin, Yorketown. All these states/cities/club are great every year because there is really only 1 maybe 2 clubs to play for. While Ohio teams are good every year but not on these levels. Is does help Wisconsin and NY that they have the same season as girls so they go year round. And everybody knows with Cali's weather thats year round. I have wondered if we should move our season. Then we wouldn't have to compete with lacrosse and baseball. Just my opinion..

That is a great point you bring up. Think about it Chicago is full of great teams, Rochester, Wisconsin, Yorketown. All these states/cities/club are great every year because there is really only 1 maybe 2 clubs to play for. While Ohio teams are good every year but not on these levels. Is does help Wisconsin and NY that they have the same season as girls so they go year round. And everybody knows with Cali's weather thats year round. I have wondered if we should move our season. Then we wouldn't have to compete with lacrosse and baseball. Just my opinion..

Would you rather compete with football or basketball instead? I think those are the two sports that correlate most to volleyball. Explosive athletes with jumping ability are seen more in those sports than baseball or lacrosse. The comparison to New York and Wisconsin are valid with Yorktowne and North Shore being premier club teams, but Chicago has Ultimate, Adversity, Sports Performance, and many other clubs. Not to mention Chicago is also a basketball hotbed.

I think Ohio is just playing catch up at this point and with no professional league to speak of in the States many premier athletes see better futures in other sports for now

Would you rather compete with football or basketball instead? I think those are the two sports that correlate most to volleyball. Explosive athletes with jumping ability are seen more in those sports than baseball or lacrosse. The comparison to New York and Wisconsin are valid with Yorktowne and North Shore being premier club teams, but Chicago has Ultimate, Adversity, Sports Performance, and many other clubs. Not to mention Chicago is also a basketball hotbed.

I think Ohio is just playing catch up at this point and with no professional league to speak of in the States many premier athletes see better futures in other sports for now

I dont know how I forgot about football...

I don't understand that because Ohio is a hotbed for college athletics and also has professonal sports teams.
Also at the high school level we have plenty of top talent basketball players and are one of the best states in the country in terms of football with the number of players that go to play in college.

I really believe Chicago, Wisconsin, NY, and other states have an advantage because they have volleyball hotbeds in one city. Ohio has four cities with good volleyball. If there were an Ohio All-Star team I think they'd do pretty well considering the talent we have in state.

You could consider last years vanguard 18's an all star group, combining the best players from Columbus with the two best from Cincinnati. The result was the best from an Ohio team. For teams from Ohio to break the top twenty in open consistently, "all star" teams need to be formed.

Ironically, last year at Nationals, AVC beat Vanguard in an early pool, but Vanguard was still able to move up with AVC. AVC was placed into a pool with 2 teams that finished in the top 4, where Vanguard was placed into a pool with 2 teams that did not win another set for the tournament. Last year both teams were very good and extremely competitive.

Yes, AVC was very good with St. Ignatius players, but what pushed them over the top was their addition of two international players that were training at Spire.

How long do you guys think it'll take for Ohio to be regularly competing at Nationals. I know there are more youth teams starting up in central ohio and talent in Vanguard and Attack always has talent. Will Ohio ever be a regular contender at the open level of nationals?

Contender? I doubt it. It's too hard to compete with kids who play close to every day year round and out on the beach from a very young age. Could there be a special year here or there when Ohio has two or three players capable of playing at an All American level all end up in the same class? I don't see why not.

If/when we have a year like that we could see a top five finish in open at nationals. Until that class comes I would be satisfied with top 20-25 finishes

Contender? I doubt it. It's too hard to compete with kids who play close to every day year round and out on the beach from a very young age. Could there be a special year here or there when Ohio has two or three players capable of playing at an All American level all end up in the same class? I don't see why not.

If/when we have a year like that we could see a top five finish in open at nationals. Until that class comes I would be satisfied with top 20-25 finishes

That's what I'm looking at though,. We have been decent with kids playing only 2 seasons. Now with the huge increase in beach volleyball, and the expanse in HP players and clubs and youth programs, could we become a bigger player.

Hey we now have a win in a qualifier as a state. Had an open team take 11th last year and took the eventual National Champions to 13-15 in the 3rd

I'm kind of confused as to what point you are trying to make.

You keep asking if we can become a national power as a state. Hypothetically, sure we could. Columbus volleyball has probably seen more improvement in the past 5-10 years than anywhere else in America. We are still behind Southern California and Illinois for sure. Then probably about even with Hawaii and Wisconsin.

Keep improving at this rate we will be able to beat any of those CLUB teams, but as far as depth in high school teams as a state we have a much longer way to go