2013 State Tournament Favorite(s)

CatAlum

Don't know much about this sport other than how to read a scoreboard. It appears that the challengers are...

St. Ignatius
St. Ed's
US
Shaker
St. John
Northview
Olentangy Liberty

On an entire body of work, it looks like Ignatius should be favored, but it also appears they could lose to any one of these teams. Ignatius has lost to TSJ, St. Ed's and tied Liberty and US. Overall, Ignatius is 8-2-2 against this group (haven't played Northview). As usual, Ignatius will likely have to get by rival St. Ed's to get out of Brooklyn.

Anyone who watches this sport closely have any opinions?

P.s.: Ed's 4-5-2 against this group; Shaker 2-6; US 5-6-1; OL 0-2-3; TSJ 4-4; Northview 4-2

Last edited:

The winner of the Columbus district has never even won a game in the State final four since they were given their own district. Until that changes, I'll have a hard time agreeing that any team from that district is a true contender. Other than that your list looks pretty good.

I'm aware of that, but OL tied Ignatius and lost by one goal in another match (0-1-1). They tied St. Ed's twice. They were 1-0-1 vs. Lake Catholic.

The winner of the Columbus district has never even won a game in the State final four since they were given their own district. Until that changes, I'll have a hard time agreeing that any team from that district is a true contender. Other than that your list looks pretty good.
This feels like the kind of year that the Columbus district can break through with a semi-final win.

I'm aware of that, but OL tied Ignatius and lost by one goal in another match (0-1-1). They tied St. Ed's twice. They were 1-0-1 vs. Lake Catholic.

I wouldn't necessarily read too much into that. For various reasons, strange outcomes often occur in these holiday tournament games.

I've been to a ton of hockey games this season - lots of Padua's but also all of the ones in the storied Padua Christmas Tournament. Here's my take:

-It'll be between Ignatius and Ed's in Brooklyn, and I see the Wildcats winning. The 5OT win over University is the momentum builder they needed

-In Toledo, it's between St John and Northview. Northview is in a slump lately after edging St John 1-0 (Losses to Rocky River, HN, and Findlay). I see St John coming out of there

-Columbus could be very competitive, but I think the Patriots of Liberty will tie it together and head to States

-At Kent, it will be a dogfight. I can see US, Shaker, Walsh, or maybe even Lake Catholic (if they catch fire) coming out of there. I think it will come down to the winner of the Walsh/Shaker game, so I'm going with Shaker Hts

-State Semis - Ignatius over Shaker, St John over Liberty

State Final - Even though I've been saying St John all year, I've got a feeling about this St Ignatius team. It's coming together at the RIGHT time for them. They play disciplined hockey, have a phenomenal power play and some great defense. I've got the Wildcats bringing home the hardware

But hey, it's February. Anything can happen

Being from Cincinnati, does Moeller have a chance against these other teams? I've seen them play before but haven't see many of the other teams still in the tournament.

Being from Cincinnati, does Moeller have a chance against these other teams? I've seen them play before but haven't see many of the other teams still in the tournament.

If you look at Moeller's record this year, they've had no success against good Cleveland or Toledo teams or Olentangy Liberty. Cincy teams don't compete at the top level of this sport. Could change, but the history is poor.

St. John's now the prohibitive favorite to win the state championship?

Prohibitive?

Just looked at TSJ's record this year. What in that record suggests that TSJ is the "prohibitive" favorite? Losses and wins against US, Ignatius, Northview. Didn't play Shaker or Ed's.

Prohibitive?

Just looked at TSJ's record this year. What in that record suggests that TSJ is the "prohibitive" favorite? Losses and wins against US, Ignatius, Northview. Didn't play Shaker or Ed's.

They have a better chance than anyone else. They're favored against Northview and will be favored against any Columbus team they face while the teams that come out of the Northeast will have a tough game in the final 4.

Has to be the first time in a while neither Ed's or Ignatius were in the district final.

2001. Thast was before the east/west split in the two Cleveland Districts.

District Finals "Lower":
Padua 2 Lake Catholic 1

District Finals "Upper":
Shaker Heights 2 University School 1

2001. Thast was before the east/west split in the two Cleveland Districts.

District Finals "Lower":
Padua 2 Lake Catholic 1

District Finals "Upper":
Shaker Heights 2 University School 1

Ed's, Ignatius, Shaker, and US were all in the same district that year.

Never like to lose, but the silver lining is that the schools with the lesser size and histories will take note that winning is possible...even in a sport where big private schools win most of the titles. Good message with the separation vote coming up.

You also have to put yourself in the shoes of a Rocky River fan/parent/student or the same for Holy Name. I'm sure they're ecstatic...only the most devoted even thought it was remotely possible. It reminds me of football, 1996. Ignatius lost to Lima in the state title game after winning 7 of the previous 8. I drove to the game with a couple of Lima grads who lived in the Cleveland area. Their joy was beyond measure. For me, it made the losing VERY easy to take.

I was at that Lima game. I am not sure the fans in Lima realize what an upset that was. Thouroughly enjoyed that experience despite not having any rooting interest. ;)