1940 Massillon vs McKinley

That was Horace Gillom high stepping it for one touchdown after catching A pass. Horace also punted and kicked off and played middle line backer. Tommy James at one of the running backs. Pokey Blunt at full back. Herman Robinson at left end and Horace at right end on offense. These were the guys that I knew.

Garrison was McKinley's star running back that scored their only touchdown. That was the only touchdown scored on the tigers during the 40 season.

You have QBs doing pirouettes in the backfield faking hand offs and then running the ball. The pulling that is going on is awesome. And after the play no celebrating just lining up for the next play. There is art in this. Thanks for sharing!

Very interesting watching this game. First of all, the teams were integrated. I know MLB and professional football wasn't integrated at that time. Second observation, the way these guys protect their heads. The linemen use the sides of their bodies to protect their heads, and no one uses the helmet as a weapon because it's non-existent. Take the helmet away and concussions will go down. No body is fat. These guys are big, but they are lean. They are gentlemanly. You don't see any taunting or show boating. It's amazing how far we have declined.

I've seen these types of plays on paper, but is cool to watch them.

I'm diggin' the officials' white knickers and caps.

That's awesome to watch. No penalties, backyard rules. I can't believe the size of the crowd either, standing room only.

I’ve coached teams where we mastered half the line taking off before the ball is snapped like in the video. Too bad its a penalty nowadays.

Great video. Thanks for sharing!

Lol. Awesome. Saw a pic the other day of the 1934 annual Toledo Scott/Waite Thanksgiving day game. 26,000. Those 2 wouldn't draw 300 people today.
The 1940 Toledo Waite-Massillon game had almost 22,000 in attendance with a heavy downpour.

Last edited:
Watched this earlier, truly awesome the difference of today’s game to how it was way back then. The shifting on offense is amazing to watch. Thanks to @ MassillonProud for posting it. And thanks to the McKinley people who provided the video. No penalty flags back then.

Did you record this while you were at the game?

I'm interested in how the motion rules worked back then. Lots of shifting and it seems as though there was no offsides for the offense. This is so cool to watch. I'd love if there were more of these posted.