#15, 2-6, "Control Own Destiny"...THE PLAYOFFS KINDA SUCK.

No worthy team was left out at 8. You should've won more games/beat someone decent to qualify.
There enough 8 win teams who were left out. As stated, one can only to so much with a schedule . I did a rundown when the 12 was announced and it did show 8 win teams, some 9 and so, who missed it. I know
.beef up the schedule right but that's esiset said than done..
12 easily got all 7 plus win trams in and would been the sweet spot.

16 is too many Yea, yes it is but to go back to my original point.....16 has done nothing to hurt whom actually contend with title so yea it sucks but to continually crap on it is poiness

With the technology we have today:

Pretty simple, do Top 8.

Anyone else wants one more game? Have a coach e-mail thread looking for “Week 11” games to end season.

You know who hates an unnecessary extra games? School districts paying for busses, etc for an unnecessary game and/or beatdown (especially long distance) Have coach friends who have been the 14-16 seed…they just want the season to end. Ready for next season.

There enough 8 win teams who were left out. As stated, one can only to so much with a schedule . I did a rundown when the 12 was announced and it did show 8 win teams, some 9 and so, who missed it. I know
.beef up the schedule right but that's esiset said than done..
12 easily got all 7 plus win trams in and would been the sweet spot.

16 is too many Yea, yes it is but to go back to my original point.....16 has done nothing to hurt whom actually contend with title so yea it sucks but to continually crap on it is poiness
You can rack up 8 wins beating tomato cans, so what? Teams with winning records get left home in the NFL all the time. Teams with 9 10 11 wins are on the outside looking in at the NCAA level all the time. Sometimes things don't break your way, that's life. Pack it up and try again next year.

Here’s and idea———Starting week 11, if you don’t like the current format, just stop watching until it makes you feel better. Every year you people complain about this and 90% of highschool fans think it’s fine. You're in the minority complaining
90% of football fans think it's a joke.

You can rack up 8 wins beating tomato cans, so what? Teams with winning records get left home in the NFL all the time. Teams with 9 10 11 wins are on the outside looking in at the NCAA level all the time. Sometimes things don't break your way, that's life. Pack it up and try again next year.
Your league is your league. Most only have a couple of OOC games and changing of conferences just to.help get into the playoffs is not an option for most nor should it be.

Again...I ask....what has going to 16 teams done to HURT teams who have had a legit shot?

Remember.....I think the fact that 9+ seeds sre winning playoff games, even some 13+, is proof positive adding some was warranted.

If going to 12, or 16, was the absolute wrong move and a nothing burger than we would not see 8+ seeds winning.

Now that I have won this argument with actual facts of the additional seeds winning....take care my friends

How do you feel about spring football like Texas has?
Please don't open that can of worms. It's been discussed on roughly a gazillion threads already, and it brings out the crazies. Though I do have a theory that part of the reasoning for the push to let everyone into the playoffs is so that the very small minority that wants spring football can make a stronger case for it.

Your league is your league. Most only have a couple of OOC games and changing of conferences just to.help get into the playoffs is not an option for most nor should it be.

Again...I ask....what has going to 16 teams done to HURT teams who have had a legit shot?

Remember.....I think the fact that 9+ seeds sre winning playoff games, even some 13+, is proof positive adding some was warranted.

If going to 12, or 16, was the absolute wrong move and a nothing burger than we would not see 8+ seeds winning.

Now that I have won this argument with actual facts of the additional seeds winning....take care my friends
You haven't come close to winning this argument. Because if you read through the thread, we've gone through all the data gymnastics so show that, in general, the state title contenders fall into the top 8 seeds of a region. At 16, all you're doing is risking injury, strain officiating crews, and incurring cost involving mostly teams that don't want to be there so that... the OHSAA can pad their bottom line? Sure a few 9-16 seeds have beaten a 1-8 in round 1; we've also seen that in the NCAA tournament, and the teams that do that usually lose in the next round. But you can do that in basketball because you can play more than once a week and it does not have near the level of time/financial commitment, or injury risk that football does. I'm sorry, but 16 is asinine and all-in would be a catastrophe. I don't love 12, but would accept it; 8 is the way to go.

Right now four 2-win teams are projected to make the playoffs in Region 24 with two more teams having three wins and projected below the 2-win teams. Good gravy it’s getting bad.

Blowing someone out by 40, 50 points makes no one better.
"Shaking off a sluggish first quarter offensively, West Geauga went on to roll to an emotional 42-0 victory over visiting Riverside."

Quotes of the game “Watch out for them in the future. They’re very good coaches, they were all here last year, but I think it’s just the difference between us and them right now, where we are as a program. But next year, once they get things rolling, watch out.” West G coach Lou Cirino

First year for Riverside's coach Bors. He's helped rebuild the program by playing games like these and has received many coach of the year awards. Have you coached before?

"Shaking off a sluggish first quarter offensively, West Geauga went on to roll to an emotional 42-0 victory over visiting Riverside."

Quotes of the game “Watch out for them in the future. They’re very good coaches, they were all here last year, but I think it’s just the difference between us and them right now, where we are as a program. But next year, once they get things rolling, watch out.” West G coach Lou Cirino

First year for Riverside's coach Bors. He's helped rebuild the program by playing games like these and has received many coach of the year awards. Have you coached before?
This game is about the kids. It's not about the coaches, the parents, the AD's, or the OHSAA. It's about the kids. Period. Games like these don't help in that regard.

That’s really interesting. Also just a heads up that mean is average. The midpoint data point is the median, not the mean- so the regular season has a median of 30 and a mean of 25.12, and the playoffs have a median of 30 and a mean of 28.19. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. I always confuse those two.

With the technology we have today:

Pretty simple, do Top 8.

Anyone else wants one more game? Have a coach e-mail thread looking for “Week 11” games to end season.

You know who hates an unnecessary extra games? School districts paying for busses, etc for an unnecessary game and/or beatdown (especially long distance) Have coach friends who have been the 14-16 seed…they just want the season to end. Ready for next season.
New York and PA both allow these. They're called consolation games. Usually played on Wednesday or Thursday of the first week to not take away from the playoffs. Getting harder and harder to find teams playing them now.

We will have to agree to disagree. I bet 9/10 kids would want to play another football game regardless of the opponent.
The only way to settle this is to ask, and to put money on the line to make it worth my while to go around asking every kid what he would prefer. Until that point in time you need to realize that the boys on a 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 team that backs their way into the playoffs and has no chance at doing well and most likely loses 70-0 or the like have no desire to play another game. The only exception would be something like a 2-8 or 3-7 Mooney or Ursuline or whoever that is the rare exception that is actually a legitimate state title contender despite the poor record due to playing an extremely difficult schedule.

The only way to settle this is to ask, and to put money on the line to make it worth my while to go around asking every kid what he would prefer. Until that point in time you need to realize that the boys on a 0-10, 1-9, 2-8 team that backs their way into the playoffs and has no chance at doing well and most likely loses 70-0 or the like have no desire to play another game. The only exception would be something like a 2-8 or 3-7 Mooney or Ursuline or whoever that is the rare exception that is actually a legitimate state title contender despite the poor record due to playing an extremely difficult schedule.
This isn't how my family was raised. You couldn't get us off the field and we were by no means an elite program.

This isn't how my family was raised. You couldn't get us off the field and we were by no means an elite program.
I am not saying it is not the case for you or your family, but you are in the minority not the majority. So if you knew that you would lose 70-0 or worse and most of your friends would get injured and not be able to play basketball, you would want to play the game still?

I am not saying it is not the case for you or your family, but you are in the minority not the majority. So if you knew that you would lose 70-0 or worse and most of your friends would get injured and not be able to play basketball, you would want to play the game still?
I doubt it. Did you play sports? Yes because the risks are no different than the week before.

I doubt it. Did you play sports? Yes because the risks are no different than the week before.
The risks are highly variable, when I was in high school I played a lot of sports, I was never more than 100 lbs and 6'1" and I would have a lot greater chance of getting killed if going up against say someone like my cousin who is currently in the NFL compared to some other skinny kid who was only 100 lbs or less. Teams like Ed's have a lot of huge kids like my cousin, therefore I would most likely have been murdered in the process of losing 70-0.

The risks are highly variable, when I was in high school I played a lot of sports, I was never more than 100 lbs and 6'1" and I would have a lot greater chance of getting killed if going up against say someone like my cousin who is currently in the NFL compared to some other skinny kid who was only 100 lbs or less. Teams like Ed's have a lot of huge kids like my cousin, therefore I would most likely have been murdered in the process of losing 70-0.
The game is different, too.

When I was in school, so many teams did a Wing T or Single Wing, where they might throw once or a twice a game, if at all. There wasn't so much open field hitting, which I think has made the game more dangerous when paired with inexperienced or unprepared kids. Especially those with big size differences even just from being different grades.

Also, games just ended faster with a running game even. Because of a heavy run game, you had defenses bunched within a yard or two of the line. Once a back got through the line, they were generally going for a TD. These spread offenses throw a lot over the middle and out routes no more than 10-15 yards downfield. So, even high powered offenses are having a lot of offensive plays that see a lot more stoppages. Out of bounds and incompletes can really slow a game and add to the play count.

Playing backyard football against a cousin like that should have had you prepared. We also played backyard football against crazy kids who ended up on Sports Illustrated most scary NFL players. The same lopsided playoff games occurred in the 8-school setup as Riverside had to play St. Ed’s in 2006 as the smallest D1 school in the state. The only way to get better is to compete against teams that will challenge yours whether it’s regular season or post season.

Lacrosse is quickly catching on in Ohio. I think it would be difficult to play both at the same time.
Sure I get that. Lots of people have made the argument that we need spring football because Ohio football is "falling behind" other states. Others say football shouldn't be a year-round sport because what with weight training and probably other conditioning it probably almost is now. I personally feel HS football shouldn't be a year-round sport because kids should have the opportunity to experience other things & other spring sports while they are young and still have that chance.

Last edited:
Playing backyard football against a cousin like that should have had you prepared. We also played backyard football against crazy kids who ended up on Sports Illustrated most scary NFL players. The same lopsided playoff games occurred in the 8-school setup as Riverside had to play St. Ed’s in 2006 as the smallest D1 school in the state. The only way to get better is to compete against teams that will challenge yours whether it’s regular season or post season.
He is not around the same age as me, so we have never actually played with each other, but I was saying if I hypothetically were to have gone up against him or boys his side. Incidentally in high school my cousin was a 300+ pound lineman, I was a 100 pound Free Safety/Wide Receiver/Kicker. When I played my coach always told me to get out of bounds before I got killed, getting murdered by a boy that weighs 3 times as much as me wouldn't help make me or the team better, it would actually have the opposite effect.

Texas has a few weeks of practice and one game that some do or do not count as official. It's practice. That is all spring ball is.
I know it's not all that. I'm not in favor of it anyway. I don't see a need to keep pace with other states in a football war that would never end. But it could also be the thin edge of the wedge. I firmly believe that with the televising of Spring Games (glorified scrimmages) in the NCAA we will soon see a day when the NCAA powers-that-be have some sort of short spring schedule with actual competitive games with other schools, in the pursuit of ever more money. Might see the same here if it's thought to be a source of money, if OHSAA ever decides to open that very "can of worms".

I didn't bring it up to open a "can of worms" as poster ReganAustinJames suggested it would. It was a very idle question without much thought applied to it actually to BlackandGold because he expressed the thought that more football is a positive. From the tenor of his answer, I believe he thinks Lacrosse or other spring sport should take precedence and he is right about that in my eyes.

What we could do is reduce Divisions, reduce playoff participants (and reduced the length of the playoffs) and add a couple games on the regular season schedule. Ohio did allow 11 games in a few seasons very long ago. Plus, they allow for League championship games to be played. IOW, there are a lot of things we could do differently if we wanted to. I like your idea from PA. in allowing consolation games, too.