14U/16U/Junior Duals - updates

bucksman

14U
Ohio finished 11th in Greco - lost to Utah (prelim bracket) and Minnesota (bronze pool)
Ohio advances to the championship pool tomorrow, losing only 40-37 (9-8) to PA today. That means top 8 finish for sure

16U
Ohio primary team wins it all. Notable wins were over Iowa (prelim final); Illinois, Oklahoma, and California (championship pool); and Wisconsin (final match). Those over IA, CA, and WI came 9-8 in terms of match count, WI match was 35-35 decided on criteria. Dominque, J.R. Miller, and Ries went undefeated
Ohio's backups lost to IL and NJ in prelim bracket, those teams finished 5th and 9th overall. The backups took five matches (of 17) against Illinois and 9/17 against New Jersey. They went 5-0 in their consolation pool between yesterday and today, featuring teams that did not finish top eight in the preliminary brackets

Junior
that event is next week in Oklahoma City.

the championship 16U lineup:
88 - Justin Winter (Kettering Fairmont)
94 - Lincoln Rohr
100 - Emeric McBurney (Massillon Perry)
106 - Mason Rohr (Massillon Perry, incoming 9th)
113 - Cole Evans (Perrysburg)
120 - Adam Butler (St. Edward)
126 - Phoenix Contos (Genoa)
132 - Joseph Sandefer, Jr (St. Edward)
138 - Grayson Woodcock (Dublin Coffman, incoming 9th)
145 - Ty Wilson (Dublin Scioto)
152 - Brodie Dominique (Archbold)
160 - Tyrel Miller (St. Edward)
170 - J.R. Miller (St. Edward)
182 - Matt Kowalski (Springboro)
195 - Aidan Weimer (Springboro)
220 - Will Adkins (Moeller)
285 - Aaron Ries (Wadsworth)

From Intermat

"Team Ohio took top honors at Cadet Freestyle Duals in Illinois on Saturday, edging out Wisconsin in a final dual between the 5th and 6th seeds.
5th-seeded Wisconsin won their pool by beating (4) Minnesota and advanced to the Gold match by knocking off (1) PA, 37-34, by winning five of the last six bouts.
Ohio came in as the 6th seed and won Pool C by beating (3) Iowa, 41-30. They then made the tournament finals by ousting (2) California, 39-33.

In a wild final featuring three lead changes, Ohio won 35-35 on criteria over the Badger State.
PA beat Cali 46-29 in the 3rd place dual.

Gold Medal Dual: Ohio 35-Wisconsin 35
88: Caleb Noble (Wisconsin Red) over Justin Winter (Ohio) Fall 1:36
94: Haakon Peterson (Wisconsin Red) over Lincoln Rohr (Ohio) Dec 5-2
100: Emeric McBurney (Ohio) over Aidan Gruenenfelder (Wisconsin Red) Dec 7-0
106: Mason Rohr (Ohio) over Liam Neitzel (Wisconsin Red) TF 10-0
113: Cole Evans (Ohio) over Declan Koch (Wisconsin Red) Dec 8-5
120: Lucas Peters (Wisconsin Red) over Adam Butler (Ohio) TF 11-0
126: Dawson Johnson (Wisconsin Red) over Phoenix Contos (Ohio) TF 10-0
132: Daniel Heiser (Wisconsin Red) over Joseph Sanderfer Jr. (Ohio) TF 10-0
138: Owen Seffrood (Wisconsin Red) over Grayson Woodcock (Ohio) Dec 5-2
145: Ty Wilson (Ohio) over Caleb Cady (Wisconsin Red) Dec 7-6
152: Brodie Dominique (Ohio) over Tanner Halopka (Wisconsin Red) TF 10-0
160: Tyrel Miller (Ohio) over Owen Wasley (Wisconsin Red) TF 10-0
170: Jarrel Miller Jr (Ohio) over Toren Vandenbush (Wisconsin Red) TF 13-2
182: Aeoden Sinclair (Wisconsin Red) over Matthew Kowalski (Ohio) TF 10-0
195: Chase Matthias (Wisconsin Red) over Aidan Weimer (Ohio) Dec 6-4
220: William Adkins (Ohio) over Henry Vander Heiden (Wisconsin Red) TF 12-2
285: Aaron Ries (Ohio) over Evan Gratz (Wisconsin Red) Dec 11-8"

Ohio ends 14U in 5th, flipping the earlier loss to PA in the medal bout.
They lost to Illinois and Iowa while beating Oklahoma in championship pool action.

New Jersey swept titles at the 14U level.

Junior FS Duals
Ohio "A" into champ pool with sweep of matches against Indiana, winning all but one vs. Tennessee, then a 42-21 (10-5) win over Oklahoma
Ohio "B" right now in a true 2nd, lost 12/15 to defending champions Iowa in the prelim round and now have dominated way to wins against Arkansas and Kentucky where they swept the matches, took 11/15 vs. Colorado, and then took 12/15 vs. Nebraska. Currently wrestling Washington to see if they finish top eight.

It is impressive to note that 14/15 kids on the Ohio "B team were state medalists, 7 of them made either a state final or National Prep final during the 2022 season -- especially given the significant organization issues with Indiana, PA, and NJ.

Motivating to see Ohio with solid A &B teams. We seems to do so well at the Cadet level and then drop at the Junior level in past years overall. I don’t know if we have ever done well in Junior Greco

Ohio "B" team did beat Washington to end up in the championship pool/flight.

OH "A", OH "B", Wisconsin and California are one side of the championship flight.

IA, MN, IL, and OK are the other.

Ohio "A" and "B" were scheduled to meet tonight, "B" forfeited to "A"; Wisconsin upset California 37-30 (9-6) in the other pool match. The Ohio teams will face both Wisconsin & California tomorrow.

Iowa took 13/15 from Illinois, while Minnesota beat Oklahoma 35-33 (8-7) in the first matches for the other side of the championship flight.

All signs are pointing to an Ohio ("A") v Iowa title match.

'Ohio Pool C beats Indiana (63-1), Tennessee (56-6), Oklahoma Blue (42-21).
Setting up a first-round Gold/Silver matchup against Ohio Scarlet. The Scarlet squad forfeited all 15 matches.'

Thank you for the updates Bucksman and MPhillips - but there are no letters attached at the end of these teams. I'm not sure why adults have to make the separation. It is Ohio and Ohio Scarlet. That's it. I understand what you are doing, but honestly, it is very disrespectful to those boys who have sacrificed so much and who leave it all on the mat.

'Ohio Pool C beats Indiana (63-1), Tennessee (56-6), Oklahoma Blue (42-21).
Setting up a first-round Gold/Silver matchup against Ohio Scarletu
Thank you for the updates Bucksman and MPhillips - but there are no letters attached at the end of these teams. I'm not sure why adults have to make the separation. It is Ohio and Ohio Scarlet. That's it. I understand what you are doing, but honestly, it is very disrespectful to those boys who have sacrificed so much and who leave it all on the mat.

. The Scarlet squad forfeited all 15 matches.'
?really

There is a Pool C though, yes?
I wasn't talking to you, but yes, there is a pool C. My grammar was off - so I get why you think I was. I was thanking you for the updates and saying to Buckman (and really everyone else on social media who have been calling the teams A and B) that the teams are called Ohio and Ohio Scarlet. Make sense?

no idea if this is the same tourny that I overheard people taking about today.....but they were saying the a team is likely the 1 seed and they likely have to forfeit tomorrow as their flight are already booked and they will be gone.....

I wasn't talking to you, but yes, there is a pool C. My grammar was off - so I get why you think I was. I was thanking you for the updates and saying to Buckman (and really everyone else on social media who have been calling the teams A and B) that the teams are called Ohio and Ohio Scarlet. Make sense?
You are arguing over semantics. Ohio/Ohio Scarlet, Ohio A/Ohio B, Ohio 1st Team/Ohio 2nd Team are all the same. We all know the difference no matter what you call them. Don’t be so sensitive sorry.

Congratulations to both teams on a very impressive weekend. Ohio is STILL elite!

I don't agree that it is disrespectful. Everyone here knows that both teams are filled with very good wrestlers. You don't get on one of them without being very, very good. To say that one is the first team and one is the second is just stating the truth - those wrestlers can handle it. They go through it every time that they lose a match. There may even be guys in the "2nd" team that beat guys in the "1st," but the composition of the teams is meant for one to be stronger.

I'm sure everyone here is proud of both teams.

There are some wrestlers on these teams that are very, very good and there are guys on the team that are good but not our best representatives.
. How do you get on one of these teams

LOL. I'll let you guys think it is semantics. It is sad your response just couldn't be oh I understand that (I'll bet you have never asked one of the kids on the "B" team how they felt - yeah, I have - as a matter of fact my son was initially offered a spot on the B team). I'm also sure that the coaches who named and entered the teams in the system had the option of saying A or B and they didn't (hmmmm). You can default to calling it sensitive (that is a YOU problem) or you can call the team what the coaches had in mind when they put them names in track. Just a suggestion for the future.

As for how you get on one of the teams, I'll let you guys argue that one until the cows come home. For the record, my son is a 160 lb and was asked to go 170 because they have seen him bump up before. In my former state (whew that is funny, I have 2 other former states) of Georgia, we went on placement at the regional and state tournaments.

Good luck to all of those competing at Fargo. I'm confident Ohio will do well.

True, I haven't ever asked any of the B team kids how it feels to be in that team, but I've talked to plenty of kids that were never invited to be on either and wanted to be.

LOL. I'll let you guys think it is semantics. It is sad your response just couldn't be oh I understand that (I'll bet you have never asked one of the kids on the "B" team how they felt - yeah, I have - as a matter of fact my son was initially offered a spot on the B team). I'm also sure that the coaches who named and entered the teams in the system had the option of saying A or B and they didn't (hmmmm). You can default to calling it sensitive (that is a YOU problem) or you can call the team what the coaches had in mind when they put them names in track. Just a suggestion for the future.

As for how you get on one of the teams, I'll let you guys argue that one until the cows come home. For the record, my son is a 160 lb and was asked to go 170 because they have seen him bump up before. In my former state (whew that is funny, I have 2 other former states) of Georgia, we went on placement at the regional and state tournaments.

Good luck to all of those competing at Fargo. I'm confident Ohio will do well.

We’re proud of both teams and the organizers/coaches. We should also appreciate Bucksman and others who take interest in the sport no matter what they choose to label them. I do agree they could simply say Team Ohio and Ohio Scarlet and we would know the difference, but it’s their choice.

Undefeated Ohio wrestlers.
From FLO.

Chloe Dearwester of Ohio Blue went 6-0
112 — Chloe Dearwester (Ohio Blue) over Bella Williams (Oklahoma) Fall 2:08
106 — Chloe Dearwester (Ohio Blue) over Ivory Truitt (Texas Red) Fall 0:46
106 — Chloe Dearwester (Ohio Blue) over jillian lackey (South Carolina) Fall 2:07
106 — Chloe Dearwester (Ohio Blue) over Clare Booe (Florida) Fall 1:42
106 — Chloe Dearwester (Ohio Blue) over Jayden Keller (Missouri 1) Fall 1:46
106 — Chloe Dearwester (Ohio Blue) over Maisie Shanahan (Georgia Red) TF 10-0

Josie Davis of Ohio Blue went 8-0
127 — Josie Davis (Ohio Blue) over Kylee Bingham (Georgia Red) Fall 0:09
127 — Josie Davis (Ohio Blue) over Kailin Ford (Texas Red) Fall 0:53
127 — Josie Davis (Ohio Blue) over Marissa Sanabria (Missouri 2) Fall 1:49
127 — Josie Davis (Ohio Blue) over Lillie Costilla (South Carolina) Fall 0:45
127 — Josie Davis (Ohio Blue) over Christina Turner (Florida) Fall 0:19
127 — Josie Davis (Ohio Blue) over Brenya Crahan (Missouri 1) Fall 0:27
127 — Josie Davis (Ohio Blue) over Zoe Furman (Pennsylvania Blue) Fall 0:17
127 — Josie Davis (Ohio Blue) over Ciara Franco-Shrum (Oklahoma) Fall 1:30

Savannah Isaac of Ohio Blue went 8-0
200 — Savannah Isaac (Ohio Blue) over Phoebe Melvin (Georgia Red) TF 10-0
200 — Savannah Isaac (Ohio Blue) over Eleanor Jukes (Texas Red) Fall 1:15
200 — Savannah Isaac (Ohio Blue) over Brooke Bennett (Missouri 2) TF 10-0
200 — Savannah Isaac (Ohio Blue) over Laney Rhodes (South Carolina) TF 11-0
200 — Savannah Isaac (Ohio Blue) over Cheyenne Cruce (Florida) TF 10-0
200 — Savannah Isaac (Ohio Blue) over Catherine Dutton (Missouri 1) Fall 2:04
200 — Savannah Isaac (Ohio Blue) over Trinity Monaghan (Pennsylvania Blue) TF 10-0
200 — Savannah Isaac (Ohio Blue) over Unknown (Unattached) by forfeit

Javaan Yarbrough of Ohio went 7-0
100 — Javaan Yarbrough (Ohio) over Jayden Rinken (Iowa) Fall 3:21
100 — Javaan Yarbrough (Ohio) over Sebron Colson (Tennessee) TF 10-0
100 — Javaan Yarbrough (Ohio) over Unknown (Unattached) by forfeit
100 — Javaan Yarbrough (Ohio) over Aydan Thomas (Oklahoma Blue) TF 12-2
100 — Javaan Yarbrough (Ohio) over Nathaniel Granados (California Gold) Inj 1:11
100 — Javaan Yarbrough (Ohio) over Evan Gill (Wisconsin) TF 12-0
100 — Javaan Yarbrough (Ohio) over Brady Byrd (Indiana) TF 10-0

Jaxon Joy of Ohio went 7-0
126 — Jaxon Joy (Ohio) over Carter Freeman (Iowa) Dec 9-6
126 — Jaxon Joy (Ohio) over Justin Bradford (Tennessee) TF 10-0
126 — Jaxon Joy (Ohio) over Unknown (Unattached) by forfeit
126 — Jaxon Joy (Ohio) over Jayce Caviness (Oklahoma Blue) Dec 14-11
126 — Jaxon Joy (Ohio) over Ryan Lobato (California Gold) TF 10-0
126 — Jaxon Joy (Ohio) over Brayden Sonnentag (Wisconsin) TF 12-1
126 — Jaxon Joy (Ohio) over Griffin Ingalls (Indiana) TF 10-0

Nolan Neves of Ohio Scarlet went 9-0
285 — Nolan Neves (Ohio Scarlet) over Leighton Jensen (Washington) Fall 0:25