11-year-old who saved up money for a lemonade stand was scammed by a man who gave him fake $100 bill and asked for exact change

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
An 11-year-old boy in Everett, Washington was scammed by a man who bought a drink from the boy's lemonade stand with a counterfeit $100 bill.

Jeremy, 11, spent his allowance money to set up a lemonade stand to earn extra cash during the summer when a man approached the boy with a fake $100 bill, according to a Facebook post by the Everett Police Department.

If the story is true, then obviously that is terrible. As mentioned above, lots of people suck.

However, it seems odd to me that a lemonade stand would have $99 on hand to make change. Kind of makes me wonder if a parent cooked up the story just to get sympathy for the kid. The GoFundMe raised $9000! Wonder where that money is going? Could be the parents suck.

So while lots of people suck, there are a lot of really decent, charitable people out there.

I can tell who read the story, and who didn’t.

JMO, the parents bear some blame on this situation. An 11-year old doesn’t have the sensibility to reject bills larger than $20 for trivial goods like poured lemonade. They also don’t think to not carry a bunch of bills on them in the first place. Lazy/inattentive/clueless parenting.

If the story is true, then obviously that is terrible. As mentioned above, lots of people suck.

However, it seems odd to me that a lemonade stand would have $99 on hand to make change. Kind of makes me wonder if a parent cooked up the story just to get sympathy for the kid. The GoFundMe raised $9000! Wonder where that money is going? Could be the parents suck.

So while lots of people suck, there are a lot of really decent, charitable people out there.
That would buy a lot of crack.

That would buy a lot of crack.
Story said:
counterfeit money
1659984298338.gif

Don't get me wrong, cash is so much better than credit cards or digital transactions, but it is also purely counterfeit, as it is backed by nothing. It only cost a few cents more to produce a $100 bill than a $1dollar bill or a penny and it is all done through our faith in debt. Whether "real" or not it is a good lesson on currency vrs money.

I can tell who read the story, and who didn’t.

JMO, the parents bear some blame on this situation. An 11-year old doesn’t have the sensibility to reject bills larger than $20 for trivial goods like poured lemonade. They also don’t think to not carry a bunch of bills on them in the first place. Lazy/inattentive/clueless parenting.

Yeah, terrible parents raised the kid doing several jobs around the neighborhood with plans to start a business. Of course you would predict every possible means in which something bad could happen and have a plan in place to prevent them. You even would have been able to prevent the fall of the romain empire, caught the guy on the sandy knoll before he fired and purchased Apple and Amazon at the IPO but you're autistic to think most parents could or should be expected to. So, you're less than perfect. :D

The thing about naivete is it makes life liveable. People cannot survive living in the fear pf every possible thing. They do not expect nor should they expect danger in every corner, for there to be some azzhat who is going to cheat a kid at a lemonade stand.

Now all that said, I agree something smells because likewise, who would expect a kid to have that kind of change at a lemonade stand? This sounds cooperatively planned out. But $9000 worth of people disagree, who am I to tell them.

It also doesn’t make sense for the kid to hold onto so many bills in the first place. Have him come in and put it in the piggy bank, then go back out.

They are letting him get away with his crime?

Most likely he is violating at least one law. Most states require a vendor's license or permit to set up within a city limits.

And even if none of that is required, there are labeling laws for cottage food industry that requires list of ingredients and potential allergens which yellow food coloring can be a potential allergen and is in most powdered lemonade.

Last, has he had his water source verified to be free of bacteria? What about heavy metals? The cups that he uses, where are they stored when not at the stand. Are they in a rodent proof box ? What about his insect and rodent report? How is he dealing with ants that may climb up on the table and "walk" disease and pestilence from one person to another? Has he been tested for socially transmitted disease such as hepatitis?
Last, does he have his contact information clearly marked on the product label in the unlikely event someone needs to contact him for an insurance claim?

I could go on, but these kind of shoe string startups are a menace to society.