100+ Albums ....

vamp2syd

Growing up in the 70's and 80's I was around great music of that time. Huge Black Sabbath/Ozzy fan I progressed to the 80's thrash scene and made weekly visits to Newport Music Hall in Columbus, Hara Arena in Dayton, and Bogarts in Cincinnati to see great bands before they became huge.... Oh the great days...

I really have not been able to get into the metal bands of today though I do admit that I am way out of the loop... so I have decided to go back in time to rediscover greatness. To actually listen to albums for the first time and rediscover "new" old bands.

I've actually did this last year but did not document it on Yappi but I decided to share it this year and hopefully some can do the same or at least suggest albums for me to listen to.... I am into Classic Rock, Rock, Old school Thrash/Speed, Heavy Metal, Metal, Grunge, and that sort of thing.....

The albums must be studio albums so no Live, Best of, Greatest Hits, etc....

I usually stick to a trio of years and I am finishing up with the years.... 1976, 1986, and 1996 and then will move on to 1977, 1987, 1997 with some 1967's .... but sometimes I drift off.... My goal is to listen to 100+ albums that I have never listened to this year.....

Eagles-Hotel California 1976

My rating: 81.12

Never been a real fan of the Eagles overall but I love the song Hotel California, and though I've listened to the Eagles greatest hits album I have never listened to this one. The song "Hotel California" is just perfect despite possibly being a rip-off and definitely inspired by Jethro Tull's We Used to Know.

Last edited:
Steve Miller Band-Fly Like an Eagle 1976

My rating: 85.20

Fly Like an Eagle is what some call a "Weed" album... lol, Lot of great songs on this album!!!!

Last edited:
Therion-Theli 1996

My rating: 75.00

Symphonic metal

Never heard of this band before but the album was on a list of top metal albums for 1996 so why not.... Preludium and Cults of the Shadow were the two songs I like the best. They were definitely different than what I am used to and they use a choir for most of the vocals. Their songs tell a story of the ancient gods or something like that..... overall, I am glad that I heard them...

King Diamond-Fatal Portrait 1986

My rating: 73.56

Heavy Metal

King Diamond's vocals are definitely not for everyone. I was into his previous band Mercyful Fate but really have not liked his solo career. Fatal Portrait was King Diamond's debut album and most of the songs tell a continuous story. The Candle is my favorite on this album and I do like this one better than the other two King Diamond Albums I have heard... "Them" and "The Graveyard"

3 and 4

Eagles-Hotel California 1976

My rating: 81.12

Never been a real fan of the Eagles overall but I love the song Hotel California, and though I've listened to the Eagles greatest hits album I have never listened to this one. The song "Hotel California" is just perfect despite possibly being a rip-off and definitely inspired by Jethro Tull's We Used to Know.

Ian Anderson is headed to the Akron Civic Theatre this summer. I may just have to see what the wild-eyed old git is able to do on stage these days. The fossilized hippies in the audience should be quite amusing as well. Great venue for a show like his.

Ian Anderson is headed to the Akron Civic Theatre this summer. I may just have to see what the wild-eyed old git is able to do on stage these days. The fossilized hippies in the audience should be quite amusing as well. Great venue for a show like his.

I saw him awhile ago as a fossilized hippie and was disappointed as he insisted on playing his new songs at the time.... He was being Thick as a Brick....

Growing up in the 70's and 80's I was around great music of that time. Huge Black Sabbath/Ozzy fan I progressed to the 80's thrash scene and made weekly visits to Newport Music Hall in Columbus, Hara Arena in Dayton, and Bogarts in Cincinnati to see great bands before they became huge.... Oh the great days...

I really have not been able to get into the metal bands of today though I do admit that I am way out of the loop... so I have decided to go back in time to rediscover greatness. To actually listen to albums for the first time and rediscover "new" old bands.

I've actually did this last year but did not document it on Yappi but I decided to share it this year and hopefully some can do the same or at least suggest albums for me to listen to.... I am into Classic Rock, Rock, Old school Thrash/Speed, Heavy Metal, Metal, Grunge, and that sort of thing.....

The albums must be studio albums so no Live, Best of, Greatest Hits, etc....

I usually stick to a trio of years and I am finishing up with the years.... 1976, 1986, and 1996 and then will move on to 1977, 1987, 1997 with some 1967's .... but sometimes I drift off.... My goal is to listen to 100+ albums that I have never listened to this year.....

Sounds like a fun project.

1976 is when I started to get into music and the album that dominated that year was a live one, Frampton Comes Alive so I guess that rules that one out. Are you looking for popular albums or influential a head of their time type works? There was a lot of AOR fluff that came out that year you can listen to and probably like but also some really important albums that kind of went against this trend that were harbingers of future directions. Notably one of the 1st real punk albums, the Ramones debut album, came out in 1976. 1986 was nothing great, I would say give So by Peter Gabriel a listen. As for 1996 Beck's Odelay is pretty cool but nothing that year really got me going.

1967/77/87/97 will be much better listening. 1967 has one of the best albums of all time, Sgt Pepper's, plus the debuts from Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and Pink Floyd; but many critics put all of those debuts behind the Velvet Under Ground's VU + Nico. 1977 gives you the monster Rumors plus a slew of important punk/new wave releases like Never Mind the Bullocks, The Clash, and Heroes. 1987: Joshua Tree, Appetite for Destruction, and Document 1997: OK Computer & Time Out of Mind, big rap year and that is not my thing..

#5 .... suggested

Agalloch-Pale Folklore 1999

My Rating: 84.05

Black Metal

Wow... Agalloch in this album makes depression and gloom beautiful. Right from the start with "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline 1,2, and 3" with the opening lyrics

"Oh dismal mourning...
I open my weary eyes once again
My life has been left hollow and ashes have filled the gorge of my within
Last night I hoped and wished I'd die in my sleep but no catharsis was granted to me
Will this pain ever pass?"

and I was hooked....

I will definitely pick up this album if I see it and meditate to it to see where it takes me. Liked it better than "I's Between Two Worlds". I am usually not a fan of long songs but you do not notice time with this album. I would say my favorite song was "Hallways of Enchanted Ebony". .... thanks ronnie mund.

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun project.

1976 is when I started to get into music and the album that dominated that year was a live one, Frampton Comes Alive so I guess that rules that one out. Are you looking for popular albums or influential a head of their time type works? There was a lot of AOR fluff that came out that year you can listen to and probably like but also some really important albums that kind of went against this trend that were harbingers of future directions. Notably one of the 1st real punk albums, the Ramones debut album, came out in 1976. 1986 was nothing great, I would say give So by Peter Gabriel a listen. As for 1996 Beck's Odelay is pretty cool but nothing that year really got me going.

1967/77/87/97 will be much better listening. 1967 has one of the best albums of all time, Sgt Pepper's, plus the debuts from Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, and Pink Floyd; but many critics put all of those debuts behind the Velvet Under Ground's VU + Nico. 1977 gives you the monster Rumors plus a slew of important punk/new wave releases like Never Mind the Bullocks, The Clash, and Heroes. 1987: Joshua Tree, Appetite for Destruction, and Document 1997: OK Computer & Time Out of Mind, big rap year and that is not my thing..

I enjoyed Frampton Comes Alive but never have listened to a studio album of his. I am looking for both the popular as well as the less known ahead of their time stuff... I've already listened to the Ramones debut. 86 Gabriel is on my list but not 96 Beck... I have listened to Mellowgold though. I've listened to all the albums of Hendrix, the Doors with Morrison, Beatles, and Floyd.

I've also listened to 67 Velvet Underground and out of the 3 albums I've heard from them that one is my favorite to date. I do not like rap at all so I don't have to worry about that. I'm doing the years as a guide line but do not always stick to it....

From '76 of note:
Warren Zevon - 2nd album
Ramones - debut
Bob Seger - Night Moves
Boston - debut
2112 - Rush

Warren Zevon - 2nd album : have not heard
Ramones - debut : 65.68 rank 732 / not a real fan of punk
Bob Seger - Night Moves : 82.23 rank 121
Boston - debut : have not heard, is on my list
2112 - Rush : 70.20 rank 631 (Rush is one of those bands for me where I am either in the mood for them or not.. I really liked the first half of this album but did not care for the 2nd half)

1976...my freshman year at Miami U. ... "Frampton Comes Alive" blared from every dorm room window that year...I heard it so much at Miami that I don't really care for it. Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", The Stills-Young Band's "Long May You Run" and various Fleetwood Mac songs (incl. "Rhiannon") dominated the jukebox at the "Res" (MU's student union)...you couldn't spend an hour there without hearing one of those.

Warren Zevon - 2nd album : have not heard
Ramones - debut : 65.68 rank 732 / not a real fan of punk
Bob Seger - Night Moves : 82.23 rank 121
Boston - debut : have not heard, is on my list
2112 - Rush : 70.20 rank 631 (Rush is one of those bands for me where I am either in the mood for them or not.. I really liked the first half of this album but did not care for the 2nd half)

Never heard the 1st Boston?!? While almost the definition of over produced faceless '70s AOR I would have thought most classic rock fans would have heard this album at least once.

Never heard the 1st Boston?!? While almost the definition of over produced faceless '70s AOR I would have thought most classic rock fans would have heard this album at least once.

I do have Boston's greatest hits so I am sure I have heard most of it. I actually had to check to make sure I hadn't or that I did not already own the album... but there is no "record" of the record so I guess not.... :shrug:

Genesis-Invisible Touch 1986

My Rating: 75.30

Pop Rock

Throwing it All Away was the best song on it...

They probably were over-produced but I saw them in their prime and Brad Delp was the real deal on vocals, unlike many of that era. Don't agree with "faceless."

I saw him awhile ago as a fossilized hippie and was disappointed as he insisted on playing his new songs at the time.... He was being Thick as a Brick....

I hate it when they do that.

Nothing wrong with exposing the crowd to new music, and I'm sure after a few thousand performances an old song may feel stale to play again, but more than 4 or 5 new ones can be pushing it.

R.E.M. - New Adventures in HiFi (1996)

My rating: 66.68

Alternate Rock

This was my 4th R.E.M. album I listened to and I liked 2 others, another was OK, but this one I just did not like. "Low Desert" was the only song I really liked on it....

Boston - Boston (1976)

My Rating: 85.05

Classic Rock

I always thought that I had owned this album but when I recently checked it was gone. Either I never did or it got snagged like my Journey Escape album did... What a debut album by a band... is this whole album on their greatest hits CD? "More than a Feeling" is my favorite on this one.... love that riff....

Sepultura - Morbid Visions (1986)

My Rating: 73.30

Death Metal

Sepultura's debut album. Pretty raw album with some great riffs. Max could barely speak English but it didn't matter as he just grunted the vocals and you cannot understand what he has to say....

Psychotic Waltz - Bleeding (1996)

My Rating: 67.64

Progressive Metal

Never heard of this band before... only liked a couple of songs... could grow on me if I listened to it enough...

Well, that is it with the years that end with "6" for awhile... up next will be the "7's"

My favorites from 1977:

Pink Floyd - Animals
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Rush - A Farewell to Kings

I'll be definitely listening to Fleetwood and Rush, I already have Animals but I rated it many many years ago so I'll probably re-rate it as that album is in my CD changer and it has grown on me over the years....

My favorites from 1977:

Pink Floyd - Animals
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Rush - A Farewell to Kings

Great year for music. Love Animals and Rumors, not a Rush fan.

Mine>

Some others to consider:

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks
Bob Marley - Exodus
Elvis Costello - My Aim is True
David Bowie - Low/Heroes

Rush - A Farewell to Kings (1977)

My rating: 74.68

Progressive Rock

I am one of those 50/50 Rush fans. Depends on the mood. Farewell to Kings wasn't that bad and would of been my favorite Rush of that time but there are newer Rush albums that I've liked much better.... I liked the title song the best with the prologue part of the last track...