#1 Chardon Hilltoppers vs #2 Dover Tornadoes D3 Region 9 Regional Final

After seeing the result of this game, how would you guys rank all the region 9 teams at the end of the season. And how would you compare Dover and Canfield?

Going into the game I would have said:

1. (1) Chardon
2. (2) Dover
3. (7) Aurora
4. (4) Canfield
5. (15) SVSM
6. (5) Hubbard
7. (3) Kenston
8. (6) Steubenville
9. (11) Tallmadge
10. (16) East
11. (13) NDCL
12. (12) New Phila
13. (8) Streetsboro
14. (9) West Geauga
15. (10) Ravenna
16. (14) Harvey

But obviously Dover looked bad with all their dropped passes and failure to stop Chardon on 4th down. You could probably argue Canfield is number 2 now above Dover and Aurora.

Ultimately Chardon is double digits better than everyone in this region…

Last edited:
Looks like Chardon has at least twice as many dressed as Dover. Does Chardon dress freshman or something? Craziness.
They have been suiting up the freshmen. Get them on the sidelines and used to the environment. They actually took the final victory formation snap against Streetsboro.

coach doyle lives nearby here in mayfield hts .....or he used to ....have run into him a few times at restaurants .....good guy .....can listen to him for a long time on high school football ...........his son ...bob played slot back for navy .....pretty sure became a fighter pilot ........was that his grandkid who played D B last year for chardon ...??
I'm not sure about the DB from last year. Wondered myself but haven't actually tried to find out.

Going into the game I would have said...
But obviously Dover looked bad with all their dropped passes and failure to stop Chardon on 4th down. You could probably argue Canfield is number 2 now above Dover and Aurora.
Ultimately Chardon is double digits better than everyone in this region…
I would rank them now as follows:
1. Chardon
2. Canfield
3. Aurora
3. Dover
5. Saint Vincent-Saint Mary
6. Hubbard
7. Kenston
8. Tallmadge
9. East
10. Steubenville
11. Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin
12. New Philadelphia
13. Streetsboro
14. West Geauga
15. Louisville
16. Chaney
17. Ravenna
18. Howland
19. Niles
20. Alliance
21. Harvey
22. Buchtel
23. Marlington
24. East
25. Geneva
26. Coventry
27. Springfield

I would rank them now as follows:
1. Chardon
2. Canfield
3. Aurora
3. Dover
5. Saint Vincent-Saint Mary
6. Hubbard
7. Kenston
8. Tallmadge
9. East
10. Steubenville
11. Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin
12. New Philadelphia
13. Streetsboro
14. West Geauga
15. Louisville
16. Chaney
17. Ravenna
18. Howland
19. Niles
20. Alliance
21. Harvey
22. Buchtel
23. Marlington
24. East
25. Geneva
26. Coventry
27. Springfield
Dover beat Canfield.

They are a buzzsaw. Their offense is constantly in 2nd and 4 or 3rd and 1. They don’t commit turnovers. They didn’t have any penalties besides the 2 unsportsmanlike calls, so they are incredibly disciplined.

I’ll be pulling for them to win it all in D3. Guessing it will be Chardon vs Badin for the title this year.

Dover beat Canfield.
Dover also suffered a much worse loss against Chardon tonight. The outcome of the game was never in doubt. Canfield at least made Chardon nervous early in the 2md half when they were down only 14-7 and driving when they fumbled and lost all the momentum.
And Aurora. He’s just a troll (probably a middle schooler) trying to start crap.
I had Dover tied with Aurora because they are evenly matched, seeing as it took overtime to decide the outcome and Dover only won by 1 point due to the 2 point conversion. You can't say it was a decisive victory by any means.
And I think a lot of teams improved as the season went on, believe it or not, I think Chardon got better as well. Remember the year Ohio State won the national championship even though they suffered a bad loss to VT, this is the same concept.

After seeing the result of this game, how would you guys rank all the region 9 teams at the end of the season. And how would you compare Dover and Canfield?
Lmao who TF cares! Like Ricky Bobby says. If you ain't first you're last. Leave the who was second and third best to the old folks at McDonald's every morning. There are 4 teams remaining in D3. And one of them isn't Canfield. You lost to Dover and Chardon. Nice season but nobody will remember Canfield this year. Sorry. You return a lot next year but so does Chardon. Try again next year and let it go.

He’s just a troll (probably a middle schooler) trying to start crap.
Also I first started posting on JJ Huddle back in the 1990's, I have been posting on here since sometime in the 2000's. So your theory doesn't quite hold up, a middle schooler wouldn't have even been born until after 2010.
I am not trying to start anything, based off everything I saw tonight and last week, I honestly believe Canfield is a little better than Dover and Aurora. I call everything how it is, even if it isn't popular or politically correct, I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Lmao who TF cares! Like Ricky Bobby says. If you ain't first you're last. Leave the who was second and third best to the old folks at McDonald's every morning. There are 4 teams remaining in D3. And one of them isn't Canfield. You lost to Dover and Chardon. Nice season but nobody will remember Canfield this year. Sorry. You return a lot next year but so does Chardon. Try again next year and let it go.
Chardon will probably win state next year too for what it is worth.
And the four best teams aren't the four teams remaining in D-III. Dover, Aurora and Canfield are all better than the remaining teams from the other regions.

Chardon
Dover
Aurora
Canfield
SVSM
Kenston
Steubenville
Hubbard
NDCL
Streetsboro

I'll edit later

I think Dover’s team matches up better vs Canfield coaches and team.

Dover beat Canfield at Canfield.

Dover ended up with 1 loss.

Head to Head match ups are a pretty good decider of which team was better.
So are teams records.
How team (A)matches up with team (B) is what decides the game.
Not Team A lost to Team B but team B gave Team D a better game than Team A. So Team B must be better.

It still amazes me that football fans don’t realize this and reference scores of other games to justify there delusions.
Dover out played Canfield and went on a 12 game run before crossing paths with a team they didn’t match up vs very well.

In other words. Chardon’s strengths where Dovers weaknesses.
Just like Canfield didn’t match up well with Dovers players.
I doubt Canfield beats Aurora. Plus Canfield has had the advantage of playing Chardon a few times. That counts for a tiny bit.

I think Canfield matches up well with Run oriented teams. Chardon-Hubbard-Fitch
Canfield matches up well there. Physicality. I don’t think Canfield matched up well vs Teams with outside speed or good passing games.

I think Dover’s team matches up better vs Canfield coaches and team.
Dover beat Canfield at Canfield.
Dover ended up with 1 loss.
Head to Head match ups are a pretty good decider of which team was better.
So are teams records.
How team (A)matches up with team (B) is what decides the game.
Not Team A lost to Team B but team B gave Team D a better game than Team A. So Team B must be better.
It still amazes me that football fans don’t realize this and reference scores of other games to justify there delusions.
Dover out played Canfield and went on a 12 game run before crossing paths with a team they didn’t match up vs very well.
In other words. Chardon’s strengths where Dovers weaknesses.
Just like Canfield didn’t match up well with Dovers players.
I doubt Canfield beats Aurora. Plus Canfield has had the advantage of playing Chardon a few times. That counts for a tiny bit.
I think Canfield matches up well with Run oriented teams. Chardon-Hubbard-Fitch
Canfield matches up well there. Physicality. I don’t think Canfield matched up well vs Teams with outside speed or good passing games.
I certainly can see what you are saying. At the end of the day each of us has his own opinion of who is best for various reasons.
The one thing we are all in agreement on is Chardon will be tough to beat this year and next year.
I respect your opinion and reasoning.
The problem is none of us can say with a high degree of certainty that Canfield, Dover and Aurora is better or worse than the other since the outcome of both games as well as the SV-SM game could have easily gone the other way.
If it weren't for Chardon, Dover or Canfield probably would have won the state championship this year.

Congratulations to the toppers. Your team was everything your fans said it was.
I think if it had been utilized more the passing lanes on shorter routes were available. Critical series was when the score was 17-3 and Dover was stopped about mid field,get a TD on that drive and we may have had a ball game.
Best of luck to Chardon finding the space in your trophy case for that state champ trophy.

Dover also suffered a much worse loss against Chardon tonight. The outcome of the game was never in doubt. Canfield at least made Chardon nervous early in the 2md half when they were down only 14-7 and driving when they fumbled and lost all the momentum.
As a Chardon fan I can honestly say I was never even slightly nervous in the Canfield game. I could show you the texts to my brother from the game. I always felt like Chardon was about to pull away. All those 4-5 yd runs. Its exactly what Chardon does. The misdirection kicks in, the kid that had the ball the last few times doesn't have it this time. Wears you down , the misdirection set up gets completed, then later the runs get bigger. Canfield kept stepping up on D. Got some big stops and didn't allow them to pull away. If you knew Chardon football you would know how close it was to being worse than it was.

As a Chardon fan I can honestly say I was never even slightly nervous in the Canfield game. I could show you the texts to my brother from the game. I always felt like Chardon was about to pull away.
Did you mean to say you DIDN'T feel nervous or that you DID feel nervous?

DID NOT, already edited after I reread it right after I posted lol
So would you have been nervous if Canfield would have scored a TD instead of fumbling when it was 14-7?
Mind you Chardon didn't exactly cause the fumble, it was a read option and the QB changed his mind at the last second.
Despite you not being worried, I think it isn't unreasonable to think the game could have been decided by one score or less, one play could have changed the outcome of the game potentially. Canfield's WR dropped a TD pass (he was wide open), and they had several other key drops when they were wide open, not to mention if the fumble doesn't happen.
Ultimately Canfield didn't execute like they needed to, but they had the potential to win or make it much tighter than it ended up.

So would you have been nervous if Canfield would have scored a TD instead of fumbling when it was 14-7?
Mind you Chardon didn't exactly cause the fumble, it was a read option and the QB changed his mind at the last second.
Despite you not being worried, I think it isn't unreasonable to think the game could have been decided by one score or less, one play could have changed the outcome of the game potentially. Canfield's WR dropped a TD pass (he was wide open), and they had several other key drops when they were wide open, not to mention if the fumble doesn't happen.
Ultimately Canfield didn't execute like they needed to, but they had the potential to win or make it much tighter than it ended up.
Are you done yet

Yes I remember during your commentary the one wide open for a TD that the DB was one or 2 steps behind, and he still had the safety deep to beat. Keep telling yourself all of that and we can agree to disagree. They also had the potential of a few plays going differently and it being ugly! I gave them credit for a good game and good season. Shame one of their fans can't

Yes I remember during your commentary the one wide open for a TD that the DB was one or 2 steps behind, and he still had the safety deep to beat. Keep telling yourself all of that and we can agree to disagree. They also had the potential of a few plays going differently and it being ugly! I gave them credit for a good game and good season. Shame one of their fans can't
You are definitely right in that there was the potential of several plays going the other way, in fact Chardon was cheated by the refs when Canfield clearly fumbled the kickoff return, had the refs made the correct call Chardon may have won by another score.