“Blacks only” “Whites only” signs posted on water fountains at Colerain High School

True, limited catalog for all musicians. However practically every young artist starting making videos during this phase due to the MTV explosion. Very few black acts still weren't featured despite this. There were other shows that weren't BET or MTV that showed videos by black artists. USA network showed an eclectic array of videos after hours on weekends. I recall a little start up cable network called SPN that have a half hour show that featured black artists.
My initial post doesn't accuse MTV of racism. It states that it's incorrect to call BET racist because the B stands for black.
I can tell you're no whippersnapper, lol. Wow, had forgotten about SPN. That was on our Warner Cable box when we first got cable over 40 years ago, and the box had the plastic sliding arrow moving left and right to change channels. I don't remember the show, but it wouldn't surprise me at all. People were trying new things all the time back then.

Last edited:
I started the MTV/WET and BET comparison when Tesoro implied calling a network B(lack) ET was racist ( a claim I've heard multiple times before). I merely stated it was alternative programming to cater to black kids that felt underrepresented on MTV.
Sadly in 2022, we like to look at history and label things using our current understanding without any context for the time period. Much the same way we attack many of our leaders and history makers from the past.

It really is a terrible way to view history but it is how we have chosen to diminish the accomplishments of our Forefathers and Foremothers.

Do you watch BET? Why or why not?
I was 15 in 1981. I and the other black kids in school/neighborhood watched MTV for one reason. To catch the occasional Michael Jackson or Prince video. Now in the meantime we started listening, and liking other artists that we normally wouldn't listen to. Devo, Men at Work, Culture Club to name a few. When BET went nationwide to urban areas in the mid 80s we watched and watched and watched.
Today I don't pay attention to what network I'm watching. If there is an old TV show or movie that I want to watch, for example My Wife and Kids I'll watch it. I don't pay attention if it's BET,VH1 or something else
But BET programming in the 80s was over 80 percent music. Now its a bunch of stuff except music. But I'll estimate I watch it 1-2 tines a month, if that

There were plenty, including Jackson's own videos for Rock With You and Don't Stop Till You Get Enough, the latter of which was massive. And yet MTV wouldn't play it ?‍♂️
There really wasn't plenty in the early days of mtv.

With so few Black rockers, adding African Americans to MTV’s roster proved difficult, according to the network’s co-founder Les Garland, whom Jet also interviewed.L “We had nothing to pick from,” Garland explained. “Fifty percent of my time was spent in the early days of MTV convincing artists to make music videos and convincing record labels to put up money to make those videos…”“We“We had nothing to pick from,” Garland explained. “Fifty percent of my time was spent in the early days of MTV convincing artists to make music videos and convincing record labels to put up money to make those videos…”

I was 15 in 1981. I and the other black kids in school/neighborhood watched MTV for one reason. To catch the occasional Michael Jackson or Prince video. Now in the meantime we started listening, and liking other artists that we normally wouldn't listen to. Devo, Men at Work, Culture Club to name a few. When BET went nationwide to urban areas in the mid 80s we watched and watched and watched.
Today I don't pay attention to what network I'm watching. If there is an old TV show or movie that I want to watch, for example My Wife and Kids I'll watch it. I don't pay attention if it's BET,VH1 or something else
But BET programming in the 80s was over 80 percent music. Now its a bunch of stuff except music. But I'll estimate I watch it 1-2 tines a month, if that
Video Soul hosted by Donny Simpson was a God send!! MTV played nothing kids in my neighborhood listened to or very rarely did. Heck at that time NBC, CBS, and ABC could have all been considered WET also. The percentage of Blacks on those networks were no higher than the percentage of Whites you would find on BET.

Sadly in 2022, we like to look at history and label things using our current understanding without any context for the time period. Much the same way we attack many of our leaders and history makers from the past.

It really is a terrible way to view history but it is how we have chosen to diminish the accomplishments of our Forefathers and Foremothers.
I'm still not giving a pass to Confederate "heroes" of the past!

I'm still not giving a pass to Confederate "heroes" of the past!
Definitely not asking for that. But we are spending too much time looking into the flaws of our heroes just to have a "gotcha" moment. When I was growing up, infidelity was one of those gotchas. Now that is no big deal...

God, My Wife and Kids was funny. I remember watching it with my parents when I was younger

Reactions: y2h
Video Soul hosted by Donny Simpson was a God send!! MTV played nothing kids in my neighborhood listened to or very rarely did. Heck at that time NBC, CBS, and ABC could have all been considered WET also. The percentage of Blacks on those networks were no higher than the percentage of Whites you would find on BET.
Yep 2 hours of Video Soul followed by 2 hours of Video Vibrations with the unseen VJ. That was the whole programming in the mid 80s.
Did you watch MTV in that time period? They played Eddie Grant's Electric Avenue and Musical Youth Pass the Dutchie to death. You would think they were as big as Prince or MJ as much air time MRV gave them

USA Network had a rock program called Night Flight that played much harder rock videos than MTV. To my recollection, they didn’t play any black artists on Night Flight. CMT didn’t play music videos by black artists. Are both CMT and Night Flight racist for not playing black artists? Of course they’re not. MTV essentially changed their format from the early days so they could have more black artists. Basically, they gave in because of unfounded cries of racism. It’s been said that black people ruin everything. I’m not sure about that.

I started the MTV/WET and BET comparison when Tesoro implied calling a network B(lack) ET was racist ( a claim I've heard multiple times before). I merely stated it was alternative programming to cater to black kids that felt underrepresented on MTV.
I understand. I was being ironic. I wasn't even born in 1981. Kids today don't even watch TV they go on the internet on their phones

Show me one with a school named after them or a bridge or a road or a statue to honor them,,,,.
Show me anywhere in America that Blacks have honored Black slaveholders,,,, I'll wait,,,
What are your thoughts about Mosques and Islam knowing that Mohammad owned slaves?

Are you giving a pass to black slave owners of the past?

For starters, even if the number is accurate, it would still account for just a tiny percentage of all slaves held in the United States in 1860 -- specifically, one half of 1 percent. That runs contrary to the post’s framing.
In addition, the figure is almost certainly inflated by a legal quirk in most antebellum southern states.

It includes "many ‘owned’ family members whom they had purchased to become free," said Eric Foner, a Columbia University historian and the author of such books as The Fiery Trial: Abraham Lincoln and American Slavery. "You could not free a slave in most southern states without sending them out of the state."

As Woodson wrote in his 1924 book Free Negro Owners of Slaves in the United States in 1830, "In many instances the husband purchased the wife or vice versa. … Slaves of Negroes were in some cases the children of a free father who had purchased his wife. If he did not thereafter emancipate the mother, as so many such husbands failed to do, his own children were born his slaves and were thus reported to the numerators."

In other cases, Woodson wrote, "Benevolent Negroes often purchased slaves to make their lot easier by granting them their freedom for a nominal sum, or by permitting them to work it out on liberal terms."

Show me one with a school named after them or a bridge or a road or a statue to honor them,,,,.
Show me anywhere in America that Blacks have honored Black slaveholders,,,, I'll wait,,,

Your beef seems to be with the “confederate heroes”. Shouldn’t your beef be with the people that honored those confederate heroes and not with the heroes themselves? Those confederate heroes weren’t alive to name anything after themselves. They had nothing to do with any honoring of themselves.

The question here, my question, is whether those heroes were any worse in their actions when alive than the blacks who bought, owned, and sold their own people. People like Isaac Franklin and John Armfield who were among the wealthiest black slave owners in the US, regardless of race. Black people like slave owner William Ellison, who was known to be the most cruel and ruthless of any slave owner in the South, regardless of race. Ellison committed atrocities against black slaves that made the white slave owners shudder. Atrocities the white slave owners wouldn’t even think of doing. Ellison was also among the most successful and richest slave owners, regardless of race.

I want to know if you’re giving those three, and other black slave owners like them, a pass. I’ve already proven that people who were dead for decades or centuries had no part in honoring themselves, so it boils down to the actions of those “heroes” when they were alive. Those three black slave owners alone bought, sold, owned, maimed, raped, and killed more blacks than Robert E Lee ever did. I think it’s time you come clean here and check your historical perspective.

Didn't know Mohammad owned slaves, but isn't a Mosque built to honor Allah not Mohammad?

Regardless of Mohammad’s status as a slave owner, I’ve never seen you post here, up in arms, about the Muslim slave trade from Africa. It’s estimated that over 28 million Africans ended up as Muslim-owned slaves compared to around 450,000 Africans that ended up as slaves in the US. 28 million. That number is astonishing, but the liberal US education system paints the US slave owners as the main culprit in the history of African slaves. I certainly never learned about the TransSaharan slave trade in school, only the TransAtlantic slave trade. What’s worse is the fate of the slave descendants. In the US, most slaves were allowed to marry and have children and so millions of slave descendants exist in the US today, free to live and prosper. With the Muslim slave trade, most male slaves were castrated upon arrival and any children born to slave women were immediately killed at birth. This is why there are very few descendants of African slaves in the Muslim world currently. Reports show the TransAtlantic journey had about a 90% survival rate. The TransSaharan journey? 10% survival rate. That means as many as 300 million Africans could have died at the hands of Muslim slave traders over the past 15 centuries. Again, maybe it’s time for a change in perspective.

Regardless of Mohammad’s status as a slave owner, I’ve never seen you post here, up in arms, about the Muslim slave trade from Africa. It’s estimated that over 28 million Africans ended up as Muslim-owned slaves compared to around 450,000 Africans that ended up as slaves in the US. 28 million. That number is astonishing, but the liberal US education system paints the US slave owners as the main culprit in the history of African slaves. I certainly never learned about the TransSaharan slave trade in school, only the TransAtlantic slave trade. What’s worse is the fate of the slave descendants. In the US, most slaves were allowed to marry and have children and so millions of slave descendants exist in the US today, free to live and prosper. With the Muslim slave trade, most male slaves were castrated upon arrival and any children born to slave women were immediately killed at birth. This is why there are very few descendants of African slaves in the Muslim world currently. Reports show the TransAtlantic journey had about a 90% survival rate. The TransSaharan journey? 10% survival rate. That means as many as 300 million Africans could have died at the hands of Muslim slave traders over the past 15 centuries. Again, maybe it’s time for a change in perspective.
Does any of those Muslim countries founding documents claim "All men are created equal" ???
Do I or any of my children reside in one of those countries???