“Blacks only” “Whites only” signs posted on water fountains at Colerain High School

the_big_toe

I saw this story in my news feed all the way out here in California. Thought I would check Yappi to get the inside scoop on the details that the “news” writers invariably leave out, but I didn’t see a thread on the subject. What is the real story on this?

Ohio students suspended for posting racist signs

Students at an Ohio high school have been disciplined after hanging racist signs in the school's hallway and posting images on social media. Administrators at Colerain High School near Cincinnati say the signs were posted above water fountains for about 30 seconds on May 5, before being removed by the students who put them there.

If they can have BET and NCAAP and divide shooting victims by skin tone, I don't see a problem.

Is that what matters?
scared shower GIF by ADWEEK

If they can have BET and NCAAP and divide shooting victims by skin tone, I don't see a problem.
I've explained this IRL to people, but here goes it....
BET was established 40 plus years ago as alternative programming to MTV. MTV was de facto WET. No persons of color the 1st few years of MTV existence. Just like NBA vs WNBA, or PGA vs LPGA- you don't need to add 'white' or 'men' when it's presumed by the general public who the intended audience is

I've explained this IRL to people, but here goes it....
BET was established 40 plus years ago as alternative programming to MTV. MTV was de facto WET. No persons of color the 1st few years of MTV existence. Just like NBA vs WNBA, or PGA vs LPGA- you don't need to add 'white' or 'men' when it's presumed by the general public who the intended audience is
Michael Jackson wasn't on MTV the first few years?

I stand corrected. Michael, prince and a couple others WERE in rotation. However the ratio of people of color and white artists was extremely low. I'm not saying there needed to he some type of equal representation. I'm saying BET was created because of all the black artist during this time of the video exploring, very few were shown on MTV. Hence BET was born

Michael Jackson wasn't on MTV the first few years?
Not until the Thriller era. He had to become the biggest star on the planet, practically re-invent the music video, and have the best-selling album of all time to be put in heavy rotation there

The “no blacks on MTV in its first few years” argument doesn’t hold up. The third video played the very first day MTV aired had a black bass player. Not to mention MTV had a black VJ on the very first day it aired in JJ Jackson who was a black musician. Going further, MTV was started as a rock music TV channel. Take a look at the Rock Top 100 chart in 1981 and count the number of black artists on the list. There will be very few, if any. Sorry, but there weren’t any black rock artists with music videos produced by their label for MTV to choose from. None,

The “no blacks on MTV in its first few years” argument doesn’t hold up. The third video played the very first day MTV aired had a black bass player. Not to mention MTV had a black VJ on the very first day it aired in JJ Jackson who was a black musician. Going further, MTV was started as a rock music TV channel. Take a look at the Rock Top 100 chart in 1981 and count the number of black artists on the list. There will be very few, if any. Sorry, but there weren’t any black rock artists with music videos produced by their label for MTV to choose from. None,
There is always more to the story isn’t there? Some People love to run with the racist angle.

I stand corrected. Michael, prince and a couple others WERE in rotation. However the ratio of people of color and white artists was extremely low. I'm not saying there needed to he some type of equal representation. I'm saying BET was created because of all the black artist during this time of the video exploring, very few were shown on MTV. Hence BET was born
BET exists to pander to blacks. It apparently is profitable enough in its basic cable niche, where it is paid for by people that always skip right by it and never watch it