‘Complete chaos’: School officials making changes after fights break out at Euclid football game

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
School officials said they are making the following changes:
  • Students must purchase pre-sale tickets and student ticket sales will be limited.
  • Home and Visiting Students must have an ID to enter the game. Only students from the participating schools will be permitted entry.
  • Students in elementary or middle school must be accompanied by a parent or guardian and must remain accompanied by a parent or guardian for the game’s duration.
  • Physical tickets/cash sales will not be available at the main gate. All tickets must be purchased online.
  • Visiting students who purchased pre-sale tickets must enter the Northeast Gate Only.
  • Home students who purchased pre-sale tickets must enter the Northwest Gate Only.

I attended the SI vs. Euclid game in Euclid in 2019. I was scared!

After the game the scene in the parking lot looked much like the lot in the video. I hurried to my car and locked door.

Even before the current video came out I had made up my mind to watch the game on the SIBN.

Not surprised. I used to go watch Robert Smith and Pepe Pearson play at Euclid. Haven't been back since and wont go back.

Have a feeling Euclid will go the way of the Cleveland Metropolitan School District and end up playing afternoon 3 o'clock games...

Rough stuff. I would consider insisting on a venue change for tomorrow if I were the Ignatius AD. Need to be able to ensure the safety of players, parents and fans and it seems Euclid failed at that last week.

That's horrible. Why does it seem like the first option at these schools is to fight?

My dad went to Euclid HS when Robert Smith was there. He said that they used to play St. Joe's every year in the 1980s, but had to stop because there were too many fights between fans. Nothing new. People got jumped in the hallways between classes all the time. I'm sure its even worse now. Not a good place to live.

A mix of a lot of things here. I don't understand why the first step for a lot of kids is to get in someone's face and fight. It also seems that there were a lot of young women fighting in the video. The fact that the video exists, and I'm sure it was not the only phone out recording it, is also a thing. Kids love to record themselves and they love to record drama or fights. Teachers, police, coaches, whoever can only do so much.

A mix of a lot of things here. I don't understand why the first step for a lot of kids is to get in someone's face and fight. It also seems that there were a lot of young women fighting in the video. The fact that the video exists, and I'm sure it was not the only phone out recording it, is also a thing. Kids love to record themselves and they love to record drama or fights. Teachers, police, coaches, whoever can only do so much.
Social media plays a major role in these types of fights, and it’s not just relegated to urban or transitioning communities, it’s happening everywhere. It’s a perfect storm of instantaneous mass audience for kids who don’t have a fully formed pre frontal cortex yet (doesn’t fully form until 25) who are societally taught to react with anger and aggression at the slightest insult or threat.

I just watched this as someone referenced it in another thread.

Unbelieveable. I agree with the Captain though that at some point the Parents need to be involved in helping to prevent things like this. However, I feel like our society just pushes it onto the school to handle these things. I guess that would be because it's hard to legislate parenting.

Unbelieveable. I agree with the Captain though that at some point the Parents need to be involved in helping to prevent things like this. However, I feel like our society just pushes it onto the school to handle these things. I guess that would be because it's hard to legislate parenting.
The parents are usually out of the equation, this is what you get when a disengaged village raises the kids.

It's standard practice for parents to offload responsibility to the schools, and then for those very same parents to be upset that the school didn't miraculously do what they hadn't.

Hey let's drop the kids off at the game. $6.00 for at least 4 hours of someone else watching the kids,and we can go out....and.....fill in the blank!!

A mix of a lot of things here. I don't understand why the first step for a lot of kids is to get in someone's face and fight.

When has it ever been different? I really don't recall disputes between kids ever being settled with reasoned discourse. I wouldn't even say the reasons are more petty now. Just more frequent and more Title IX compliant.

Is fighting at these Games considered a super spreader of the delta variant? If fighting without a Mask on do they have to quarantine?

When has it ever been different? I really don't recall disputes between kids ever being settled with reasoned discourse. I wouldn't even say the reasons are more petty now. Just more frequent and more Title IX compliant.
It's not believing they will be settled with reasoned discourse, it is about I don't understand why it needs to be a fight. Kids didn't go to a football game expecting and waiting to see if a fight breaks out. If you were going to fight, you set up a time and place and showed up, it wasn't about having an audience at an event like a game. Was there an audience? Sure there was buzz about the fight and kids would show up at a parking lot or park or something, but it wasn't happening at games from what I recall.

It's standard practice for parents to offload responsibility to the schools, and then for those very same parents to be upset that the school didn't miraculously do what they hadn't.
Welcome to the world of Educators! And it has been like that for quite a long time. Add to that: it's getting worse every year and I don't ever see it getting better.