Search results

1. S

2024 St. Edward Football

I know football has changed after 25 years, but I remember playing Cardinal Mooney for the first time in 1999 and they came up to Lakewood and absolutely took it to us, something like 42-28 and it was not that close. Don't hate going out of state like this, especially early, for an opponent...
  2. S

2024 St. Edward Football

I thought this would be the state championship game the past two years, I'd love to see it happen this year!
  3. S

2024 St. Edward Football

Not quite as sure about the Cincinnati part of the equation but yes, I'd say in general Ed's throughout its history was more about a running game with a physical o-line. Ignatius found their success with a spread offense and throwing it around with a very well developed quarterback for high...
  4. S

2024 St. Edward Football

Yes, I meant to add them and just missed it, good call. In a "what if scenario" I wish that team would have been in 2007 or 2008 and watched them play in that Division 1. I think their best wins were over Glenville in the playoffs, Whitmer and of course Huber Heights Wayne in the title game...
  5. S

2024 St. Edward Football

I agree with 2003. Probably the best defense in that stretch of years but their offense and overall talent was a little down compared to the seasons around them. Their style helped them and I credit Gibbons to just putting his best athletes in a lot of different positions. Nakamura was the...
  6. S

2024 St. Edward Football

Great start to the schedule! I think having North on there makes a lot of sense and I commend them for wanting to play us. St. Joe's Prep is a powerhouse, glad they are coming here. Would like to keep Massillon and Hoban on the schedule. For open dates, I wonder if Cathedral from...
  7. S

2024 St. Edward Football

I think there are two big changes from the early 2000s to now. First is that the offense has modernized compared to what it was back then. Ed's will always have an emphasis on the running game with a big o-line but we can throw the ball much better than we could back then too. Shaun Carney...
  8. S

Steve Arnold steps down as Warren G Harding head coach

I hope WGH nails this hire and gets back to being a consistent contender. Life is more fun when they are challenging in Northeast Ohio.
  9. S

2023 St. Edward Football

If memory serves right, Stover was maybe a finalist his senior year but Maurice Clarett won it (deservedly so).
  10. S

2023 St. Edward Football

Joe Portale and Steve Schmitz were great running backs in the mid 70s. The 80s had a revolving door of great backs! Farmer, Mobley, Andrews, Williams. Barile and Lepore were on the '96 team together and pretty good. Stover and Edmonds highlight the 2000s but Adkins was a tough runner on the...
  11. S

2023 St. Edward Football

First off, incredible run by the class of 2024! Springfield gave us some fits and they hung tough and kept their composure to win #7. The St. Ed's football program should now be counted with Moeller and Ignatius as a dynasty in Division 1 and one with a track record we haven't seen since St...
  12. S

Massillon Tigers 2023 State Champions

I am happy Massillon got this off of their backs. Having went to and supported a school that had a great reputation as a "football power" but only runners up at state before 2010, I understand the feeling and the absolute joy you have now. You earned this one and had a great season, downing...
  13. S

Region 1: #1 Lakewood St. Edward vs #6 Medina

I am interested to see the Eagle defense defend the pass. McKinley was finding some success with short middle of the field passes and Moeller got back into our game with them doing that.
  14. S

2023 St. Edward Football

The Eagle defense has been a strong element in recent weeks. I think the offense will continue to work on things with their quarterback but it was pretty windy last week and he made some ok throws, I felt Mason did a great job of looking back and making a play on balls that were caught up in...
  15. S

2023 St. Edward Football

I thought St. Ed's had an efficient win on Friday. Great reps for Csyani and a lot of playing time for back ups in general. Hopefully we see more of the same this Friday. I don't know much about Glenoak but every week will get harder and the Eagles will need to be ready. It looks like the...
  16. S

2023 St. Ignatius Football

Agreed. Making that 7th division helped the lower divisions out but screwed Division 1. It also has to be said that the state of football programs at some of these big public schools have gotten pretty bad. I know the drum will beat about recruiting but schools the size of Elyria, Euclid, or...
  17. S

Moeller Vs. St. Ed's

I would think the difficulty with addressing it is that it's just extremely difficult to stop. It requires a ton of discipline with regards to your linebackers and d-lineman and many teens will over pursue on plays that they feel they've correctly identified. I think a big difference are...
  18. S

Solon/Euclid week 8 will not be played.

I think it is hard to fault either side in this without the details of what is going on. Euclid last week obviously felt it could not control the crowd. Does that mean outsiders coming in? Does that mean adults? Does that mean their students? I read somewhere that they've taken a lot of...
  19. S

2023 St. Ignatius Football

I agree with this completely. The school is one of the largest boys schools in the state with talent seemingly in all their other athletic programs. The football problem is a program problem. Great weight room, a fieldhouse right? plenty of athletic fields, with more plans to add onto their...
  20. S

2023 St. Edward Football

Depending on how the playoffs end up, the series could be tied this year. For fun, Ed's won 8 straight games against the Cats in the 70s. Ignatius' longest unbeaten streak against the Eagles is 4. Eagles are at 7 now and look to be in prime position to continue that.