Search results

1. G

Kentucky's 'Sweet 16'...It Works

Indiana did a "Tournament of Champions" for the first few years after the state went to class basketball, but it never really caught on. Rhode island, of all places, crowns their various state champions and then the winner & runner-up in each division play in a tournament the following week to...
  2. G

R4 Final Centerville vs Moeller

That was moments earlier, involving the Centerville point guard. He dribbled toward a screen and wound up colliding with his teammate and absolutely appeared to travel as he recovered the ball and got his bearings. No call, but I wouldn't blame/credit the final result to that no-call. At the...
  3. G

Centerville’s Gabe Cupps - Mr. Basketball

Mr. Basketball was actually first awarded in 1988. Jimmy Jackson was two-time winner. In other states such as Indiana and Kentucky, only seniors are eligible for Mr. Basketball.
  4. G

Centerville’s Gabe Cupps - Mr. Basketball

Players who've won Ohio's Mr. Basketball more than once include: Jimmy Jackson, Greg Simpson, LeBron James (x3), O.J. Mayo, Jared Sullinger, and Luke Kennard.
  5. G

competitive balance

California had/has an interesting solution to this ongoing issue for basketball & football (Maybe for other sports as well, I'm not sure). Starting in 2013 for basketball and 2015 for football, an Open Division was created for the superpowers & transfer magnets. I'm not sure of the particulars...
  6. G

State attendance yesterday

A few years ago, California went to an "open division" for the top football and basketball teams, regardless of class. Their setup is a bit different, in that teams can lose in their sectional round, yet still advance to the regionals, but maybe a similar method could be employed in Ohio? Lots...
  7. G

Best basketball programs from schools that no longer exist

For anybody who wants to learn more about the Waterloo Wonders: https://www.amazon.com/Fabulous-Waterloo-Wonders-Dick-Burdette/dp/1439223491
  8. G

Probably not the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, but not far from it. Debatable. I don't have a smart phone. What if I drove up from Cincinnati to UD Arena and found out I couldn't buy a ticket? I might definitely be so angry I would never return.
  9. G

Forgive my ignorance, as I haven't lived in Ohio for many years - you can't walk up and pay cash for a ticket at the state tournament???
  10. G

Dayton D1 Tournament..... no one talking?

Regarding the Lakota West - Centerville game: It was my first time seeing LW, and I was baffled by their offense. Dudukovich averaged 25+ PPG this season and dropped a school record 51 in a game back in December, but it seemed like West weren't even trying to get him the ball against...
  11. G

Public School Super Powers, Glenbard West And Centerville

On back to back nights I streamed the Centerville win over Lakota West and the Glenbard West victory over Larkin. Would absolutely LOVE to see GW & the Elks hook up, would be a great game. I'll assume anybody reading this is familiar with Centerville. Glenbard West has all kinds of length...
  12. G

Best Ohio Basketball Teams of All Time

The previous season (87-88) they had Robert Werdann (St. John's/brief NBA career), but that 88-89 team didn't have any high major players besides Kenny Anderson.
  13. G

Watched that team lose on the road to Middletown in a regular season game. The Middies had a decent team, but nobody approaching NBA quality. Something just didn't click for that McKinley team. Great pieces that just didn't fit together properly. Maybe needed a perimeter scoring threat (Neither...
  14. G

During roughly that same era (this was mid-'80s), Withrow had Tyrone Hill and Ricky Calloway, both future NBA players, on the same team, but likewise didn't advance past the districts. During Hill's senior season they reached the regional semis and lost to Dayton Dunbar.
  15. G

Very impressed, didn't expect anybody to get this, especially so quickly. 1943-44 Toledo Woodward Polar Bears. Lost in the state championship game to pre-Jerry Lucas Middletown, 50-47 in overtime. Starters on that Woodward team included: 6'1 JR Bob Harrison, who went on to platy at Michigan...
  16. G

When you get into teams like the great Roth and Belmont teams, plus the '87 Dunbar team, the top 5 fills up pretty quickly. If Centerville completes an unbeaten state championship run and they impressively handle potentially likewise undefeated Westerville South, Sylvania Northview, or Broadview...
  17. G

So close, buuuuuttttt....... although Nick Connor was drafted... he never played in a regular season or postseason NBA game. Great team and great player, but we're still searching for the correct response...
  18. G

Thanks... great info and love the picture. I didn't *think* that guess qualified, but it was close. The answer I have in mind is 100% correct. Will give it a day or so before revealing it if nobody gets it.
  19. G

Good guess, and if Turner was on the varsity as a FR, you might be correct, although he and Gus Johnson were born over 5 years apart. I'll give you half-credit, since I can't verify this one way or the other (I may be able to given time to research tomorrow), but the answer I'm searching for it...
  20. G

This thread seems like the perfect place to ask a trivia question - name the only Ohio high school basketball team (I'm looking for a single season team, not an all-time alumni list) to ever include 3 players who went on to play in the NBA. Several teams have included two future NBA players...