Search results

1. C

2 coaches - 6 parents tossed down ten...

Some of the tournaments I work have a disclaimer that if an ejection is deemed “malicious” it could result in a suspension for the teams next game in the tournament. if it is the last game of the tournament, I highly doubt anyone would carry that over to the next tournament for the same tourney...
  2. C

Ask The Ump?

I just saw the video, R2 definitely did not touch third and based on HPU standing there long after run scored, it was obvious he saw it and was waiting for a possible appeal. That would have been a heck of a money call if they had appealed it.
  3. C

Ask The Ump?

AS12, you know your stuff but passing and being put out are two very different things. I know this is from NCAA but read this rule about being “put out” during a base award Passing would fall under the “other runner out before reaching their base they are awarded”
  4. C

Ask The Ump?

When a batter commits INT, they are ALWAYS the person who is out unless the runner is thrown out despite the INT. Batter out, runner returns. In this case, since it was third out, obviously the runner need not return. If the batter commits INT on strike 3, he is already out so the penalty for...
  5. C

Ask The Ump?

What a fantastic scenario!! Honestly, that’s a barn burner, never heard this scenario before. First, a walk is a base award. It is the right to advance legally to the next base without being put out. Second, a runner commits INT when they impede a fielder from fielding a batted ball or when...
  6. C

Ask The Ump?

To add my 2 cents... 1) The key word in AS12's post and rule cite is "COMPLETELY"...many people do not realize this, if even one cleat is still on the outer edge of the chalk line of the box, they are not out of the box at contact 2) Your best bet of an umpire seeing this are on bunts, as...
  7. C

Youth parents get forfeit for their team after arguing with umpire

I actually just had an interesting conversation with a colleague about this very video. He asked me what I thought the solution was...I said that the answer, while impossible to do, is for the adults/parents/coaches realize that umpires at every level are just as mistake prone and learning as...
  8. C

Ask The Ump?

I hope I don’t upset AS12, bc this isn’t a question, but here is a thought/idea for people who love baseball and care about not having games cancelled for no umpire…thank an umpire when they are done. About a week ago, my sons freshman game had a kid, literally a kid (he is in HS) working solo...
  9. C

Ask The Ump?

My son (freshman) has had 2 games cancelled for no umpire. May not sound like a ton but they’ve had about 746 cancelled due to weather/cold, so it’s 2 out of about 8 games, not 2 out of 30
  10. C

Ask The Ump?

No, you’re only getting the batter-runner if he deviated his path to initiate contact. A runner must avoid a fielder who is fielding the batted ball, not avoid touching first bc a fielder is racing him to it
  11. C

Ask The Ump?

It is unusual and doesn’t happen often, but it is possible to have RLI on a ball hit to SS or 3B. Consider a throw by F5/6 that is to the first baseman’s left but reachable. F3 stretches to catch ball and ball hits runner, or glove hits runner, which would not happen if runner was running in...
  12. C

Ask The Ump?

I agree with you, I too was speaking about arguing/disputing calls. Early in my college umpiring career, someone told me “those d3 and d2 assistants might be the head coach at one of your games down the road, and if they remember you as professional and approachable, it can only benefit you”
  13. C

Ask The Ump?

1. No, we do not “have to” move. Good umpires are astute to the situation and while 95% of the time, I will move, I will not move out of position . For example i once was in C with R1 and R2, fast R2, and SS asked me to move to my left, I took a step left and he asked for more, I said “I’m...
  14. C

Ask The Ump?

Oops, sorry AS, I replied before reading your response to him
  15. C

Ask The Ump?

It was a 10u game man, who cares if they got run ruled. If those kids are playing for anything other than having fun and some basic fundamentals, they need a new team. How about playing in his honor ? Or just forfeit and go to hospital to be with him bc that’s more important than winning a 10u...
  16. C

Ask The Ump?

Don’t have an official rule cite but the P who last pitched when your team took the lead for good is winning pitcher. So whoever finished the 8th gets win, whoever pitched 9th gets save
  17. C

Ask The Ump?

No, if an umpires ruling puts a team at a disadvantage, by rule, we are to correct said disadvantage. The runner vacated the bag because he was declared out. If he was in fact safe bc fielder doesn’t have possession of the ball as thought, runner returns to 2nd safely. If he called out...
  18. C

Ask The Ump?

Forfeits do count; the suspensions are for 2 games, the forfeits are merely a product of the fact that they don’t have enough players to field a team. Its 2 games off their schedule each suspended player lost the ability to participate in. They count
  19. C

Ask The Ump?

I am not speaking about your play, I am speaking about the rule, and as such, am done with this conversation. You want to talk about how dumb a rule is, then have at it. As an umpire (and former D1 player), I only care about the rule. I am happy you were a minor league pitcher, you're talking...
  20. C

Ask The Ump?

More power to you...your point about the P would be valid IF the pitcher knew ahead of time the batter would do that. If I told a P, "hey, the batter is going to be unable to swing at this pitch, so just groove the pitch and get a free strike", then yes, your point is valid and he has an...