Search results

1. C

Ask The Ump?

This is a good example of why umpires are taught to be rule book experts without being rule book lawyers. In NFHS, a batter can not permit the pitch to hit them. Like any other judgment call, its umpire discretion. However; the spirit of the rule is not to reward pitchers for throwing 2 feet...
  2. C

Ask The Ump?

Interesting, touch of third is HPU responsibility, unless this was a playoff game with 4 umpires
  3. C

Ask The Ump?

This is a baseball forum, not sure if softball rules differ, but in baseball this is a “catch and carry”. Out on the batter, all runners advance one base (unless it’s the third out)
  4. C

Ask The Ump?

To answer the question “what is he supposed to do”, ask yourself, what benefit did the runner gain by staying off the base for so long? It’s not 9u where the fielder is likely going to drop the ball. The runner wasn’t going anywhere , so why did he stay off the base for so long? What he...
  5. C

Ask The Ump?

If any part of the ball is not over the plate, it’s a ball in the OP proposed/questioned scenario. That means it cuts off 3.8 inches of the plate on each side , 3.75 I guess, so it cuts off 7.5” of the plate.
  6. C

Ask The Ump?

A baseball has a diameter of about 2.5 inches (it’s closer to 2.625 but let’s make the math easier). Plate is 17” in diameter, so the strike zone is 22” wide . In softball, the diameter of the ball is about 3.8 inches but they have the same 17” plate. If the entire ball had to be on the...
  7. C

Ask The Ump?

Apparently I wasn’t clear, I did not say or imply we asked them to tell us the weather. We looked at it on their phones. They pulled up the radar, they pulled up the lightning app, and we viewed them. Also, if it’s downpouring I don’t want my phone in my pocket. When I walked off the field...
  8. C

Ask The Ump?

Umpire16, we’ve had some good convos but gonna disagree here, simply due to what you already said…everyone has phones and has them out, why does the umpire need one? I worked 3 games yesterday and the last was bereft with delays. Multiple rain and two lightning delays, neither myself nor my...
  9. C

Ask The Ump?

They got it right. A retired runner or batter advancing is not in of itself interference. Even at the HS level, players just run out of instinct. It’s on the defense to know the batter is already out, and play on an advancing runner (r1 for Ex) would require a tag out bc r1 was not forced to...
  10. C

Ask The Ump?

I forgot to add anything about that, you’re right, the umpire should not engage the fans at all. There’s a time to be humble with a coach, this would be one of them bc you know you didn’t see it, but there’s nothing to say to fans.
  11. C

Ask The Ump?

Couple things stand out here… First, a BU should always keep eyes on the ball that is trouble, even when it’s in HPU coverage area. Nothing more frustrating than going into a crew consult on a trap/catch or fair/foul or pole bender , or home run/fan int and partner says “idk, I was watching...
  12. C

Ask The Ump?

I know this is a HS forum but in NCAA and professional baseball, they always use first names, and for a reason, it’s professional. I don’t cringe and get bent out of shape at “blue” but it would behoove coaches to teach the players and themselves to use names or “sir” / “maam”, not “blue”
  13. C

Ask The Ump?

Most of the time yes. I’m not a fan of the mechanics manuals saying we revert back bc it’s not 100% correlation. For example, in 3 man, if u1 goes out with no one on, the HPU takes first and home, u3 has 2nd and 3rd. This of course is different than 2 man. With r1 and r3, if u1 goes out, HPU...
  14. C

Score Keeping Questions

It’s actually in the rulebook that touching the ball is not required to charge an error. Similar to infield fly, “ordinary effort” is the standard . If it should have been fielded using ordinary effort, and it isn’t, it’s an error.
  15. C

Ask The Ump?

Long story short, if the person who batted was an eligible substitute , it is just marked down as a substitution. Replaced player is out of game if they weren’t a starter or it’s their second time out of the game, otherwise eligible to re-enter. IF the person who batted in that place was...
  16. C

Ask The Ump?

I didn’t forget…he said that the out was called “on the force” (separate discussion) and the runner was out by 2 steps before contact occurred. Based on the writing, f3 clearly had the ball with foot on the base (since out wasn’t on a tag). I don’t see OBS here and I know you don’t approve of...
  17. C

Ask The Ump?

If he truly thought it was foul, it’s foul bc he called it so. Dont make up a foul call is the moral of the story. And don’t worry about being perfect…if a team is so self centered to argue a call that had to be made while HPU is laid out on the ground…
  18. C

Ask The Ump?

This is definitely a “had to be there” play, and it all boils down to judgment. To call INT on a non batted ball (this is a thrown ball) you need intent or an illegal action, such as a slide. Simply running to the base and being unaware of f3 coming into baseline is not INT. If you judge the...
  19. C

Ask The Ump?

Lots of unknowns here…were there runners on? I am assuming so or you could have taken time to gather yourself without a made up call. But If so, making up a foul call intentionally is not “handled properly”. There was a video making rounds from MLB last year of a walk off wild pitch that sent...
  20. C

Ask The Ump?

No run shall score when the third out is made on the batter before they reach first base safely (this includes batter missing first base on way to second and being properly appealed). Run doesn’t score, and batter is probably still running laps