Division IV Region 16

35 0 final for Wyoming. Shawnee couldn't score on them but they did move the ball. Final offensive outputs were within 50 yards of each other
Wyoming out gained Shawnee by about 100 yards and Shawnee had 38 passing attempts. Wyoming hit some pass plays early against a stacked box and forced SS to drop a safety ..

Really??? Can you share some details. The score indicates a blowout but your stated yardage would indicate not so much. Curious to hear what happened and your opinion of Wyoming.

Looks like:
Wyoming (2 playoff shutouts) and Clinton Massie (struggle with Urbana)
McNicholas (shut out Eaton) and Taft (struggle with Alter)

I'm thinking Wyoming and McNick in the regional finals. Wyoming in the state semis.
Wyoming would beat McNick by 7 TDs because of their running game. I know nothing about Taft's squad this year but I hope they just try to throw.

Let's just cut to the chase and sum up R16 in one word; Hester.
Hester is a good kid great player I totally agree with you on that But if you want to win this region you need a whole team So the word for Region 16 is Hungry. Who wants it the most Who is the most prepared Which team is ready to take advantage of any given situation That’s this years winner

Wyoming would beat McNick by 7 TDs because of their running game. I know nothing about Taft's squad this year but I hope they just try to throw.
I just posted this in the GCL Co-ed thread and I'll share it here;
Wasn't blown away with the Taft people described them as. At the end of the day they just overpowered the smaller alter team. They ran up the middle a bunch of times because they had bigger guys and knew the smaller alter team wouldn't be able to stop it. They would go on long drives eating up the clock and if they ever got in a 3 or 4 and short situation they would put one of their big guys in the backfield direct snap it to him and go up the middle. They didn't pass the ball much other than a jump which resulted in a blown coverage touchdown. I may be incorrect but Alter scored on all but 3 drives and one was a missed FG, so Taft's defense wasn't too impressive either.

Wyoming out gained Shawnee by about 100 yards and Shawnee had 38 passing attempts. Wyoming hit some pass plays early against a stacked box and forced SS to drop a safety ..
So I had the stats guy send them to me. Final yardage: 308 for Wyoming to 241 for Shawnee so 67 yards difference. Wyoming had 17 first downs and Shawnee 16.

So I had the stats guy send them to me. Final yardage: 308 for Wyoming to 241 for Shawnee so 67 yards difference. Wyoming had 17 first downs and Shawnee 16.
This is what the paper published: Either way..it wasn't much of a game

[TD]Total Yards[/TD]
[TD]222[/TD]
[TD]315[/TD]

This is what the paper published: Either way..it wasn't much of a game

[TD]Total Yards[/TD]
[TD]222[/TD]
[TD]315[/TD]
Outside of the score that was not nearly as dominant of a game as I expected from Wyoming. That is all I am trying to say.

Calpreps has:

Taft 28 McNick 21
Wyoming 28 Massie 14

sounds about right. I’m thinking another TD for Wyoming and Massie 35-21.

I have to go with my GCL brethren and take the Rockets. Coach Orlando gets the best out of his guys. The Wyoming Cowboys seem destined for the state finals so have to think they get it done. However if anyone watched last year's Massie state final game its hard counting those dudes out in spite of an sub par season.

From what I saw out of McNick last week, I think they take a double digit win vs Taft.

I see CM being in another track meet with Wyoming, with Wyoming pulling away late. The only way I see CM winning is if they can limit Wyoming's possessions with their offense, and by generating a couple of turnovers.

This will be the 10th all time matchup against
@TaftNation for McNick From Twitter:
this Saturday when we square off in the regional semifinals. The first match up was a win in 84. After a long layoff between the 2 schools we split the last 2 meetings in 17-18 seasons. All time record is 4-5

This will be the 10th all time matchup against
@TaftNation for McNick From Twitter:
this Saturday when we square off in the regional semifinals. The first match up was a win in 84. After a long layoff between the 2 schools we split the last 2 meetings in 17-18 seasons. All time record is 4-5
I don't worry about the McNick O vs the Taft D but I do worry about the opposite...I still think the fightin Orlando's find a way...McNick 27 Taft 21

I don't worry about the McNick O vs the Taft D but I do worry about the opposite...I still think the fightin Orlando's find a way...McNick 27 Taft 21
Bingo. Taft wants to run the ball. McNick struggles to stop the run (exception being the last two games). I can see a scenario where McNick wins in a shootout type 38-35 game especially if Taft gets sloppy. It should be interesting. Pretty sure whomever wins will be done next week.

Wyoming Massie is very interesting game. Go with the Cowboys by a score 28-21
Rootin hard for the Rockets. They can do it 28-23

From what I saw out of McNick last week, I think they take a double digit win vs Taft.

I see CM being in another track meet with Wyoming, with Wyoming pulling away late. The only way I see CM winning is if they can limit Wyoming's possessions with their offense, and by generating a couple of turnovers.
in the 2020 game, wyoming won, CM did not score a TD, and wyoming had 12 offensive play going into the 4q.

And the 2017 game went…….. And the 2021 game went…….. None of that matters now. Always a good game. Wyoming and CM are two great programs going at it tonight. Tonight is all that matters. It will be a slug fest.

Wyoming put a running clock on Clinton Massie tonight. The final score was 40 to 7. Hester had 4 touchdowns and I'm pretty sure over 300 yards rushing. Taft blew out McNicholas too. The Wyoming and Taft game next week should be a real dandy.

Wyoming put a running clock on Clinton Massie tonight. The final score was 40 to 7. Hester had 4 touchdowns and I'm pretty sure over 300 yards rushing. Taft blew out McNicholas too. The Wyoming and Taft game next week should be a real dandy.
Wyoming won the first won against Taft handily-- unless something has changed, it will likely be the same again.

Last edited:
And the 2017 game went…….. And the 2021 game went…….. None of that matters now. Always a good game. Wyoming and CM are two great programs going at it tonight. Tonight is all that matters. It will be a slug fest.
Though the final may not reflect it-- this was a tough, hard-fought game tonight, until the second half-- similar to last year's game-- but with a different winner. When Massie scored (fairly easily) in the first 3 minutes, even despite a penalty, it looked like Wyoming might be in for a long night-- but Wyoming answered Massie's quick score with one of their own-- then the teams played it pretty even the rest of the first half-- with the difference being that Wyoming scored a touchdown the one other time the Cowboys got down inside the Massie 20-yard line-- whereas Massie missed two makable FGs in the first half-- else it would have been tied 13-13 at half...

Then, in the second half CJ Hester happened...

Once Massie got out of their comfort zone, they had no "Plan B" (as is generally true for "run only" teams)... they began to accumulate false-start penalties, then tried to throw the ball (poorly-- as you would expect)-- which led to an interception return for a touchdown--and the ballgame was over... But all of that was predicated on CJ Hester running for TWO 80+ yard touchdowns early in the second half-- of course, that changed the game, and put Massie behind the eight ball. Ultimately, Wyoming scored 40 straight unanswered, after Massie's opening touchdown in the first 3 minutes of the game.

Wyoming's placekicker appears to have a strong leg-- but maybe some accuracy issues-- he doinked TWO PATs high off the right upright.

372 yds on 27 carries. I can't believe that UC has not offered this kid.

I have heard that both UC and Kentucky, have a knock on the level of competition he plays against. Which is absurd if that's true. Corey Kiner was a D-5 player, and of course, Evan Prater was a D-4. Both were Ohio Mr. Football. It makes no sense to me. (BTW Hester is probably a D-1 safety as well. But nobody notices because it's overshadowed by his offense, and he's needed so bad on offense so they don't let him play there as much.....unless needed!)

Wyoming won the first won against Taft handily-- unless something has changed, it will likely be the same again.
While I believe Wyoming will win, that Taft defense is the best defense Wyoming played against all year. (They stopped Hester inside the 10 yard line twice). And like most teams, Taft has gotten better. Heck, I didnt expect them to beat McNicholas like they did! So this game will not be a cakewalk for Wyoming! IMO.

Though the final may not reflect it-- this was a tough, hard-fought game tonight, until the second half-- similar to last year's game-- but with a different winner. When Massie scored (fairly easily) in the first 3 minutes, even despite a penalty, it looked like Wyoming might be in for a long night-- but Wyoming answered Massie's quick score with one of their own-- then the teams played it pretty even the rest of the first half-- with the difference being that Wyoming scored a touchdown the one other time the Cowboys got down inside the Massie 20-yard line-- whereas Massie missed two makable FGs in the first half-- else it would have been tied 13-13 at half...

Then, in the second half CJ Hester happened...

Once Massie got out of their comfort zone, they had no "Plan B" (as is generally true for "run only" teams)... they began to accumulate false-start penalties, then tried to throw the ball (poorly-- as you would expect)-- which led to an interception return for a touchdown--and the ballgame was over... But all of that was predicated on CJ Hester running for TWO 80+ yard touchdowns early in the second half-- of course, that changed the game, and put Massie behind the eight ball. Ultimately, Wyoming scored 40 straight unanswered, after Massie's opening touchdown in the first 3 minutes of the game.

Wyoming's placekicker appears to have a strong leg-- but maybe some accuracy issues-- he doinked TWO PATs high off the right upright.
This is a great assessment! Nice job.

I have heard that both UC and Kentucky, have a knock on the level of competition he plays against. Which is absurd if that's true. Corey Kiner was a D-5 player, and of course, Evan Prater was a D-4. Both were Ohio Mr. Football. It makes no sense to me. (BTW Hester is probably a D-1 safety as well. But nobody notices because it's overshadowed by his offense, and he's needed so bad on offense so they don't let him play there as much.....unless needed!)
If he keeps putting up performances similar to tonight straight throught the state championship game, he will start garnering interest from schools bigger than Western Michigan.

The kind of plays that he makes against this level (e.g.- tonight) would not really be feasible against Division I (HS or college) athletes-- he often sits back in the backfield, picking and choosing his spot(s), then bursts through for huge gains (or 80+ yard touchdown runs), well after the play has developed-- he would NOT have the luxury of doing that, against (for example) the kind of athletes that Lakota West or St. Ed's or X (in a better year than this year) put on the field-- he would get buried and swamped in the backfield if he kept trying that-- once in a while, maybe-- most of the time, he'd get tackled for losses on those kind of plays... I'm not saying that he can't play at the Division I level in college-- just that his results would be FAR more modest... tonight, at times, it was like watching an adult playing with small kids-- he was just waiting, and waiting, and waiting, and then doing what he wanted to do, on most plays-- because he knew his superior athleticism would allow him the luxury to pull that off-- he would NOT be able to do that against Lakota West's or Moeller's defense...

As a useful comparison, how is Evan Prater (who had a similar type of athletic advantage, while playing at Wyoming) doing so far in his career at UC?

I wonder what Hester‘s measurables are i.e 40 time? Maybe that is an issue. Just speculating. He’s obvious very good. As someone mentioned maybe a strong performance in the playoffs will cause more interest.