Division IV Region 16

Monday morning week #12 I’ve got:

Wyoming 35 Shawnee 7
Massie 28 Urbana 13
Taft 32 Alter 10
McNick 27 Eaton 21
You may be spot on with Wyoming/Shawnee but the Braves may have another score in there...maybe.
Massie, they may have another score in them as well but your pick looks good.
If Alter can control the clock, they can make it closer but the Taft speed puts this away 28ish to 17 but I wont go against your final.
McNix and Eaton, wildcard here. If Rockets have a good secondary and can shut down the Eagles passing game, they may put a running clock on the board. If Eaton can throw then and run as effectively as they did against Fenwick, you may have the lotto score pick.

All your picks IMO, are the winners.

You may be spot on with Wyoming/Shawnee but the Braves may have another score in there...maybe.
Massie, they may have another score in them as well but your pick looks good.
If Alter can control the clock, they can make it closer but the Taft speed puts this away 28ish to 17 but I wont go against your final.
McNix and Eaton, wildcard here. If Rockets have a good secondary and can shut down the Eagles passing game, they may put a running clock on the board. If Eaton can throw then and run as effectively as they did against Fenwick, you may have the lotto score pick.

All your picks IMO, are the winners.
McNick hasn’t played a team that wanted to pass first. In games where they jump in the lead and forced the opponent to pass their secondary has been very good. So if Eaton wants to pass I think they are playing to McNicks strength. Should be interesting.

Alter started 3 freshmen in the backfield on Friday, that should tell you something about the future of this football team. They may get beat this week, but this team will be more experienced for the future because of all they went through this season.

Also one thing that hasn't been mentioned on here about Fridays game at Reading is that Alters QB threw 2 INTs. If he wouldn't have thrown those picks alter would have won by more. And Alters, supposedly 4 star kicker, missed a chip shot FG at the end of the game too. Not making excuses just simply pointing out the facts.

Alter started 3 freshmen in the backfield on Friday, that should tell you something about the future of this football team. They may get beat this week, but this team will be more experienced for the future because of all they went through this season.

Also one thing that hasn't been mentioned on here about Fridays game at Reading is that Alters QB threw 2 INTs. If he wouldn't have thrown those picks alter would have won by more. And Alters, supposedly 4 star kicker, missed a chip shot FG at the end of the game too. Not making excuses just simply pointing out the facts.
Tough schedule you guys played and you may find out you're more competitive than you know. I bash on Alter, well....because, they are Alter, lol. I look for this to be a good game and an upset in the making. Good luck.

Taft, Cincy city public schools, has a really nice complex but the parking sucks!! There may be parking in a garage close by, not sure, but mostly it is street parking. Getting there early is better than late and I think they open their gates at 6. Just kind of thing you deal with in any Cincy downtown activity.

Alter starting 3 freshmen running backs is not necessarily a good sign for the future, but it is definitely a bad sign of the present.

Alter starting 3 freshmen running backs is not necessarily a good sign for the future, but it is definitely a bad sign of the present.
I may have to disagree with you to a certain extent. I agree starting Fr. is not a good sign...for the present; however, it should pay dividends when they are Jr. Sr. Having a continuous flow of starting Fr. for a couple or several years would not be good sign for the present or future. I was once told you can expect to lose two games for every Fr. you start but as a caveat I dont know if that is based on higher divisions/competition but in this case, the 6-5 record may support that hypothesis.
IMO, Alter has a solid coaching base and I am sure those Fr. are starting/playing because they have shown the athletic ability and work ethic to compete on a varsity level, though a 14 year old is much disadvantaged to a 17-18 year old. Now, I dont know if these are "red shirt" Fr, which is a different story but assuming the are true Fr. starting a week 12 game, they are essentially Sophs in their football experience. I guess, they/Alter are playing the hand they were dealt and making the best of it.

I just find it remarkable that a school like Alter has to start even one Fr. Curious to see how it pans out over the next several years.

Just because you start as a freshmen on a weak team doesn't necessarily translate to good things in the future. I am still waiting on the once freshman QB to pan out beyond just average.

And having only 6 seniors doesn't mean you start freshmen... unless all your juniors and sophomores can't beat out freshmen, which apparently they can't.

Sad state of affairs for Alter football.

Can anyone and tell me about taft? What kind of offense do they run? I heard they had a stud on defense that's going to ohio state is that true??

Just because you start as a freshmen on a weak team doesn't necessarily translate to good things in the future. I am still waiting on the once freshman QB to pan out beyond just average.

And having only 6 seniors doesn't mean you start freshmen... unless all your juniors and sophomores can't beat out freshmen, which apparently they can't.

Sad state of affairs for Alter football.
Keep your eye on soph QB at Alter. He started last year as freshman has been improving each game. Suspect he will be one that pans out.

Just observations not excuses.

Down year for Alter heading into 2nd round of playoffs. Think many teams would take a "down" year like that. Numbers (enrollment) in senior, junior, soph class down, hence move to D4. Coaches doing great job piecing this team together. Lost 1 of best players LB/RB in Carroll game. They have good skill players but O line & D line not as strong as usual. That is where I have concern. Freshman running backs are good and will get better, QB improving each week. His running skills are 5 fold better than start of season and he has strong arm. He needs to keep improving decision making in pass game. Freshman class very talented, incoming class behind them decent enrollment expected. I think the Knights to lose this week, but kids made this an interesting year when could have been a dumpster fire. GO KNIGHTS

Keep your eye on soph QB at Alter. He started last year as freshman has been improving each game. Suspect he will be one that pans out.

Just observations not excuses.

Down year for Alter heading into 2nd round of playoffs. Think many teams would take a "down" year like that. Numbers (enrollment) in senior, junior, soph class down, hence move to D4. Coaches doing great job piecing this team together. Lost 1 of best players LB/RB in Carroll game. They have good skill players but O line & D line not as strong as usual. That is where I have concern. Freshman running backs are good and will get better, QB improving each week. His running skills are 5 fold better than start of season and he has strong arm. He needs to keep improving decision making in pass game. Freshman class very talented, incoming class behind them decent enrollment expected. I think the Knights to lose this week, but kids made this an interesting year when could have been a dumpster fire. GO KNIGHTS
I appreciate your insight. Since I haven't seen them since week 1 and that dreadful 7 total turn over game. It looks like that may be on the right track. They may not win this week, though could pull the upset. Next year should fair better for them.

Hard to judge a QB at Alter. Zaire was a sure thing and a really good HS QB but ultimately he was just a really good HS QB.

Taft h
Can anyone and tell me about taft? What kind of offense do they run? I heard they had a stud on defense that's going to ohio state is that true??
Taft runs a single back offense (at least they did earlier this year). But they hang their hat on defense which is excellent. The player you're speaking of is Elias Rudolph. And yes, he is as good as advertised. About 6'4" edge rusher with over 20 D1 college offers. And while Wyoming beat them earlier in the year, they were the only team that I've seen stop Hester inside the 5 twice! (Hester eventually broke a 96 yard TD). But it wouldn't surprise me to see them make the regional finals.

Taft h

Taft runs a single back offense (at least they did earlier this year). But they hang their hat on defense which is excellent. The player you're speaking of is Elias Rudolph. And yes, he is as good as advertised. About 6'4" edge rusher with over 20 D1 college offers. And while Wyoming beat them earlier in the year, they were the only team that I've seen stop Hester inside the 5 twice! (Hester eventually broke a 96 yard TD). But it wouldn't surprise me to see them make the regional finals.
Looks like there is a change in QB from last year. This year is Ison a Sr. and last year was Canady was a Soph. Last years QB was fairly solid, what happened there? Looks like they are balanced with rush, four different runners and the pass. Didn't see any stats for Rudolph last week, was he out?

Looks like there is a change in QB from last year. This year is Ison a Sr. and last year was Canady was a Soph. Last years QB was fairly solid, what happened there? Looks like they are balanced with rush, four different runners and the pass. Didn't see any stats for Rudolph last week, was he out?
looks like Canady is on the roster but hasn’t accumulated any stats this season. this is according to the CMAC website. injury maybe?

Don't know about Rudolph from last week. I'm sure he played unless he was injured, which I haven't heard. The starting quarterback from last year (Canady) tore hus ACL and is out for the season.

Just shows how fraudulent they were all year long. Won some big games but at the end of the day they were frauds
Seems to me they were pretty one dimensional on offense. Some HS teams can get away with 95% run offense but they better be really, really good. Otherwise fall behind or need a 70 yard TD drive in under 2 minutes..not likely to happen. (See Eaton and McNick)
I don’t think they were frauds. Their run D was top notch. Teams like Massie, who Fenwick beat early, that also don’t pass well were vulnerable. As a McNick fan I didn’t want to see them again at their place. I’d bet the coaches felt the same.
The Rockets beat Eaton (35-14?) at Eaton Last year..it appears that neither team is as good as they were in 2021. Should be an interesting game.

Last edited:
Seems to me they were pretty one dimensional on offense. Some HS teams can get away with 95% run offense but they better be really, really good. Otherwise fall behind or need a 70 yard TD drive in under 2 minutes..not likely to happen. (See Eaton and McNick)
I don’t think they were frauds. Their run D was top notch. Teams like Massie, who Fenwick beat early, that also don’t pass well were vulnerable. As a McNick fan I didn’t want to see them again at their place. I’d bet the coaches felt the same.
The Rockets beat Eaton (35-14?) at Eaton Last year..it appears that neither team is as good as they were in 2021. Should be an interesting game.
Eaton was up 14 - 7 at the half in last years game. McNick then came out and imposed their will in the second half. They were definitely the more physical team after halftime, and Eaton just folded. This will be the 3rd time that these two teams have butted heads in the playoffs over last 11 years. I'm looking forward to an entertaining and hopefully injury free gridiron clash between the two Friday night.

Last edited:
Eaton was up 14 - 7 at the half in last years game. McNick then came out and imposed their will in the second half. They were definitely the more physical team after halftime, and Eaton just folded. This will be the 3rd time that these two teams have butted heads in the payoffs over last 11 years. I'm looking forward to an entertaining and hopefully injury free gridiron clash between the two Friday night.
You coming down for the game? Can we expect a big crowd from Eaton? McNick has a very nice facility, looking forward as well.

You coming down for the game? Can we expect a big crowd from Eaton? McNick has a very nice facility, looking forward as well.
I wish Irwin. Unfortunately I'll be resigned to watching it on NFHS this go around. I'm not sure how well the Eaton faithful will travel to beautiful Mt. Washington. I was a little disappointed in the turnout we had for last years playoff game, and that one was in Monroe. Although the weather for last years tilt was a bit nasty. Friday night looks gorgeous.

Haven't really seen much on the top half of the bracket...
Can Springfield Shawnee give Wyoming a game?
Has Clinton Massie turned the corner and are locked into playoff move?

Wyoming should beat Shawnee by 3 scores.

Clinton Massie @ Urbana has to be the biggest wild card game in the region. Clinton Massie hasn’t truly been tested since Western Brown, so it’s hard to tell how good they really are.

Massie has the playoff experience that Urbana doesn't and that gives them the edge. I think Massie wins this game and some may call it an upset but Urbana, IMO, doesn't have the horses to grind out a 48 minute game and the real upset would be Urbana winning...as odd as that may sound. Urbana does have some kids that can play but they probably have a lot two way players and that could or would be to Massie benefit. I hope its a good game and Climbers can find a way to win but I am not counting on it.

Shawnee and Wyoming. The last time they met would have been 2009 timeframe and Wyoming won that one by a score, 21-14??? Shawnee was up and coming at the time and had a good underclassmen group to build on, eventually losing to Mooney in 2011 finals. This year, well that is a different story. Shawnee has a lot of talent, they are fast and have a wide open offense but sometimes their defense struggles with bigger and faster teams, Bellefontaine and London and maybe Tecumseh (size wise). If their defense struggles early, this can be a blow out. If they can contain Hester while putting a couple of scores on the board, they could, though slightly could, pull an unprecedented upset. I think the Braves are 23 point underdogs and that may well be accurate.

IMHO, I take Wyoming to win this region.

I wish Irwin. Unfortunately I'll be resigned to watching it on NFHS this go around. I'm not sure how well the Eaton faithful will travel to beautiful Mt. Washington. I was a little disappointed in the turnout we had for last years playoff game, and that one was in Monroe. Although the weather for last years tilt was a bit nasty. Friday night looks gorgeous.
You mentioned weather and I know this is the kiss of death for mentioning it but the year's weather has been incredible. There may have been a team or two with delays because of lightening but overall, not too hot and definitely not too cold. I guess we shall see when la Nina takes hold.

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

You mentioned weather and I know this is the kiss of death for mentioning it but the year's weather has been incredible. There may have been a team or two with delays because of lightening but overall, not too hot and definitely not too cold. I guess we shall see when la Nina takes hold.

🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞
Yep, could be as high as 70 on Friday . Makes for a pleasant evening at the Penn.

Massie has the playoff experience that Urbana doesn't and that gives them the edge. I think Massie wins this game and some may call it an upset but Urbana, IMO, doesn't have the horses to grind out a 48 minute game and the real upset would be Urbana winning...as odd as that may sound. Urbana does have some kids that can play but they probably have a lot two way players and that could or would be to Massie benefit. I hope its a good game and Climbers can find a way to win but I am not counting on it.

Shawnee and Wyoming. The last time they met would have been 2009 timeframe and Wyoming won that one by a score, 21-14??? Shawnee was up and coming at the time and had a good underclassmen group to build on, eventually losing to Mooney in 2011 finals. This year, well that is a different story. Shawnee has a lot of talent, they are fast and have a wide open offense but sometimes their defense struggles with bigger and faster teams, Bellefontaine and London and maybe Tecumseh (size wise). If their defense struggles early, this can be a blow out. If they can contain Hester while putting a couple of scores on the board, they could, though slightly could, pull an unprecedented upset. I think the Braves are 23 point underdogs and that may well be accurate.

IMHO, I take Wyoming to win this region.
I think we'll see both Wyoming and CM win handily, and rather easily this weekend. Both will be led by their defenses. I feel like each wins by 21+. The Alter/Taft game could be interesting but I do think Taft is the better overall football team. The game that's the most up in the air has to be the Eaton/McNich game. When Eaton plays well, they can be a very good football team. They're also very balanced on offense.