Passing of a wrestling legend Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer was phenomenal! A great individual on and off the mats. A very amazing family..
Prayers and thoughts to Mark Zimmer and his family.

I saw Zimmer win his 3rd and fourth... what a buzz it was at St John’s on his fourth. He was a real superstar!!! I was in like 7th grade , and I still remember the audience and the standing ovation and purple. He did what no one had ever done before... we all were so impressed

I will retell the story of an actual conversation between my coach, a teammate, and me during the 1979 Catholic Invitation Tournament. We had seen a few Zimmer matches in the tournament (he would win the 119 pound weight class in dominating fashion), and we were watching St. Ed's 126 pounder Dan Foldesy take apart another wrestler in what was essentially a take-down clinic.

Teammate: "Man, that Foldesy is slick on his feet. God!"

Me: "Who do you think would win between him and Zimmer?"

Coach: "It would be a great match -- very competitive."

Teammate: "Zimmer and Foldesy?"

Coach: "No -- Zimmer and God."

Although I did not know him personally, I am glad I got to see him wrestle. By all accounts, he was also a very nice guy. R.I.P.

I just found this. So sorry to learn of it. Quick positive story remembering Mark.
It was his freshman year and we had a tri-meet with DeSales and Olentangy. After weigh-ins, I was warming up and was near to where our coach could be overheard talking to DeSales Coach Mike Stanley. Among other things they were discussing the matchup at 98. We had a pretty good sophomore and Coach Stanley was really excited to see his new freshman (Mr. Zimmer) face off. He was politely explaining how polished this kid was and that he truly felt that he'd be a state champion. Our Coach said, "You mean by the time he's through?" "No, Stanley said, I mean THIS year."
Needless to say Zimmer played with our kid. Literally. He was actually "smiling" during the match. Afterwood, we all hung out and chatted and you couldn't have asked to meet a nicer, more friendly and humble kid. Saw him wrestle twice in college and nothing had changed...A true class act...