2022 Senior World Championships

Rei Higuchi beats Seth Gross 14-7. Super scrambles in this match, Higuchi one of the few guys in the world who can go with Gross. Gross will go for bronze tomorrow

While Yianni isn't facing a stretch like Zain, this could be his first world medal since a Cadet gold in 2016.
And just like that Yianni moves to the finals w/ a 10-0 win over Seabass in under a minute. And a clinch for Team USA!

Anyone talked about the horns yet? I personal love them. Makes me laugh.

Also nice win Yianni.

Update: i looked back and saw comments. Still makes me laugh.

For the first time in 16 years, the USA will medal at 65kg!!! Yianni makes quick work of SeaBass with a 10-0 tech. Will either face Aliyev or Amouzad in the finals, two great wrestlers on opposite ends of their career

Abakarov shuts down Thomas Gilman, winning 7-2 and leaving the American with a silver medal. An excellently wrestled match from the Russian turned Albanian, got a quick five points and then played good defense. Gilman wins his second world silver to go along with world gold and Olympic bronze.

Dake going for the gold. Hard to believe he was once wrestling Jaden Cox as he was trying to find his place on a World team.

Dake looks huge compared to his opponent.. Must be hollow

Kyle Dake is a world champ for the fourth time! Four NCAA championships to go along with four world titles. He wins 3-1 over Salkazanov with some patented Dake defense. The old man gets younger every year!

Dake gets the win, early lead then tough defense for the Russian/Slovakian to penetrate. Wish he would have wrestled for more points, but he got the win the way he likely planned it

So the first 92kg match for bronze was interesting. takedown and 4 turns gets the Georgian a lead in the match at 10-2. The Bulgarian rips off 8 straight points to tie it at 10-10 - and he has criteria. 12 seconds left and their starting neutral at center of mat, Georgian gets a push out with 0.3 seconds left. Wins the challenge so final score is 12-10. Had it won, lost it, got it back...

Dake gets the win, early lead then tough defense for the Russian/Slovakian to penetrate. Wish he would have wrestled for more points, but he got the win the way he likely planned it
Well we might see more offense from Dake, as he mentioned in a post-match interview he is moving to train at Penn State. Interested to see if Nolf moves on somewhere with Dake now in the building. Penn State will have half the world team (Gilman, Zain, Dake, DT, Snyder) training in their facility in a month.

1 minute in - no score
Iranian on the clock starting 4:26

And the Iranian gets a takedown before the clock hits 0 Up 2-0

Iranian up 2-0 at the end of the 1st period. Iranian looks stupid strong. Will he get gassed - we'll see

2 minutes left still 2-0 big scramble but no score for Cox.

Time called for gash to head of Iranian with 1:42 left. Didn't want to see him get time to catch his breath. Looks more likely to run out of gas sooner than Cox.

Ghasempour beats J'Den 2-0 in a one takedown match. Dude has some unreal defense- wonder if we see him start to transition up to 97kg for next year with the Olympics right around the corner. That Yazdani/Ghasempour/Mohammadian log jam should be interesting to watch the next 20 months.

Not sure how many of you read this on Flo, but a great article on JB.

In part:
"Burroughs has stacked up his seven titles in 12 years. In the 12 years prior to his Senior-level debut, the United States won a total of five men’s freestyle World and Olympic titles — Stephen Neal (1999), Brandon Slay (2000), Cael Sanderson (2004), Bill Zadick (2006) and Henry Cejudo (2008)."

For the whole article (worth the read):

Snyder looks improved, wish Saduelev were there. Dake defense and very high intelligence for positioning gets him #4 . JB hanging in there for #6 Too bad DT was in-between weight classes for a few cycles, he was the most impressive EASILY basically dominating the best P4P anyone faced.

DT was great this tourney.
FWIW, he may have been "in between weight classes for a few cycles" but he was also behind JB, Dake and Cox whom he couldn't beat.
FWIW The reason Taylor lost to Cox, besides a controversial match was he was giving up basically a weight class when they last competed. Taylor would own Cox now ...believe what you want ;) Pretty sure JB also had about 3 year jump training FS full time, and Taylor had a very difficult cut. As I said earlier ...between weight classes on his way to growing into the weight he is at. Yazdani better than anyone JB has beaten, only Snyder against Saduelev is comparible in the legacy they bring. Taylor is the best we have right now P4P......Congrats to JB however on quite an achievement after the 2016 result. Cox was enormous next to Taylor the last time they competed, and Snyder proved he's also better P4P.

believe what you want
Not what I want, just what the results were. There's nothing to twist there.
I also believe DT is the best we have right now P4P.
For someone who doesn't ever condone/make excuses it's interesting you did that for DT.
🇺🇸

For those that have trouble getting into FloArena in the future, my problem was with AdBlocker Plus. Contacted Flo tech service and after trying about 8 other solutions, the one that worked was disabling ABP - in fact, I just deleted it for now. That took care of it.

Not what I want, just what the results were. There's nothing to twist there.
I also believe DT is the best we have right now P4P.
For someone who doesn't ever condone/make excuses it's interesting you did that for DT.
🇺🇸
"
Both reason and excuse are defined as an explanation put forward to defend or justify a fault or offense.

What do you say we put an end to that nonsense, right here…right now?

The fact is…there’s a HUGE difference between a reason and an excuse.

This one health related example perfectly illustrates the difference between the two.

A reason for not going for a run is, “I have a broken leg.”

An excuse is, “I don’t have the time.”

Competing 50 pounds heavier in just 3 years after the age of 18 likely takes some adjustments. Excuse or tangible reality?

The match against Cox was an embarrassment the way Cox slid all over the place, ridiculous he wasn't wiped down repeatedly if necessary. The ummm errr "injury" was never mentioned again either, amazing how he went like gangbusters after it occasionally. Excuse or fact the sweating was profuse and effected the ability to mount an offense?

Dake just won his fourth world title at 74 kg , and lost to Cox at 86 kg. Excuse? Or size likely a factor.

BOTH have since beaten Burroughs, who is easily better credentialed than Cox.

BOTH Taylor and Dake gave up 2-3 years of FS development against JB initially. Excuse or legitimate tangible ?

As good as JB has been, he's either the 3rd or 4th best P4P on the current USA team. He pats himself on his back often, but still has been a good representative for the United sates.

Cox will never attempt to take on Taylor at 86kg again. He has little chance against Snyder either. IMO.

These are all opinions, some based on valid tangibles, some not, some based on OLD results, some based on MORE RECENT results...even your mostly opining "Member extraordinaire" :)

Cox gave up 3 years of FS development to Taylor.
Taylor wasn't 18 when he wrestled Cox, he was 26.
Taylor seemed to adjust to the higher weights pretty well, winning 2 NCAA titles and 3 world/OLY titles.
Taylor lost to JB & Cox for spots on the World team.

That doesn't take away from DT's tremendous accomplishments. He is part of a foursome that has propelled USA into perhaps their greatest wrestling on the world stage. I don't think that USA has ever had 5 multi X champs in the lineup prior to this group - Dake 3, JB 7, Taylor 3, Cox 2, & Snyder 3/4. When they added 79kg & 92kg that opened the door to put all 5 in the lineup and strengthen USA's lineup. We're still not as good as RUS but we're pretty close.

Taylor is a great wrestler and arguably the best P4P in USA, maybe only 2nd behind Sad in the World. And I say arguably because P4P is not as verifiable as winning world titles. I'm hoping for 1 more world title for this group today (and #1 for Yianni and a bronze for Gross) Go Team USA.

I won't get the last word here, and don't really care. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.