Offense Totals
QB #10 junior Jack O’Malley 6 for 9 for 105 yards and 1 TD
QB #7 sophomore Chase Herbstreit 4 for 5 for 59 yards and 1 INT
RB #4 senior Steven Napier 8 carries for 36 yards and 1 TD
RB #21 junior Gage Patrick 6 carries for 14 yards and 1 TD
WR #20 junior Drew Weber 3 catches for 41 yards
WR #9 senior Kyle Fitzgerald 2 catches for 41 yards and 1 TD

The Bombers sputtered in the red zone.

The only significant rushing plays were Patrick’s 14 yard cutback TD vs Canal Winchester and Napier’s 26 yard gain vs Centerville’s 2nd team defense. Herbstreit did scramble for a couple of big gains.

O’Malley hit all 4 pass attempts for 66 yards in the opening 10 plays vs Centerville’s #1 defense highlighted by a 26 yard strike to #82 senior WR Jamaal Sharp on a crossing pattern (his only catch)

In the previous post I mentioned the emergence of former QBs Weber and Fitzgerald at the WR position

#88 senior TE Joey Wassler was targeted only once hauling in a 25 yard sideline grab from O’Malley.
The red zone trouble is concerning, and short yardage situations seem to be an Achilles heel of the Coverdale system. With the linemen they've had the past few years, this is even more worrisome.

The red zone trouble is concerning, and short yardage situations seem to be an Achilles heel of the Coverdale system. With the linemen they've had the past few years, this is even more worrisome.
They have plays designed to bang it in, or get some quick hits... not sure if they get too cute with the shifts and motions in red zone.

No changes to the OLine, offensive skill positions and defensive secondary since the Centerville scrimmage
Seeing some changes/shuffling in the defensive front 6.
Looking forward to the Colerain scrimmage this Friday on the new turf.
Freshmen at 5pm followed by the varsity at 7pm
GO X!

No changes to the OLine, offensive skill positions and defensive secondary since the Centerville scrimmage
Seeing some changes/shuffling in the defensive front 6.
Looking forward to the Colerain scrimmage this Friday on the new turf.
Freshmen at 5pm followed by the varsity at 7pm
GO X!
Thanks for the update, how's the QB race working out? That line is massive and watching the Kattus highlights on hudl reminds me a lot of watching Parker the past few years in terms of his attitude when finishing blocks. How does the line's mobility look?

Not surprised about the D front 6. Aside from Morris and Hammond, not sure how that was going to shake out. I could see some rotation on passing downs maybe, but seems like Specht likes a steady 6. Interested to see how Beck develops, looks to have that OLB build.

Thanks for the update, how's the QB race working out? That line is massive and watching the Kattus highlights on hudl reminds me a lot of watching Parker the past few years in terms of his attitude when finishing blocks. How does the line's mobility look?

Not surprised about the D front 6. Aside from Morris and Hammond, not sure how that was going to shake out. I could see some rotation on passing downs maybe, but seems like Specht likes a steady 6. Interested to see how Beck develops, looks to have that OLB build.
O'Malley is the guy...for now.

O'Malley is the guy...for now.
Glad X has 2 quality QBs on the varsity pushing each other.
Looking forward to seeing the frosh QB at 5pm on Friday after I heard about his dual threat performance in their scrimmage last Saturday

Glad X has 2 quality QBs on the varsity pushing each other.
Looking forward to seeing the frosh QB at 5pm on Friday after I heard about his dual threat performance in their scrimmage last Saturday
Kid is a really hard worker

The freshman team looked ok overall, you can tell they are still tinkering with some things. Didn't catch much of the jv game, but from what I saw they looked good until they got to the red zone. Varsity looked better than they did at Centerville, but they still need to clean up some things before next week. All of the running backs look like they can run the ball which they may need to rely on if the new qb's struggle. Sharp, Wassler, and Fitzgerald looked good catching the ball. They defense played well, but they have to kick it up a notch with these first two games. Colerain doesn't look good imo, will be interested in seeing how they fair in the GMC this year. All in all X did what they needed to do on all levels, and now its time to focus on beating West. Gonna be an interesting season.

Wassler took a big hit, hope is okay. O'Malley looks pretty good. Colerain's QB got some serious speed and I thought they looked better than last season. Still think LW has too much for anyone in the GMC.

Wassler took a big hit, hope is okay. O'Malley looks pretty good. Colerain's QB got some serious speed and I thought they looked better than last season. Still think LW has too much for anyone in the GMC.
From what I saw out there Colerain is bad… like real bad but the QB is an absolute dude. Bomber O line is huge, I am assuming X is young all around this year? The team doesn’t have the polish that you usually see so I’m assuming experience has a major part in that.

Across the GCL, I think you're going to see alot of smash-mouth football this year. Back to the basics of establishing the run while new QBs learn the ropes.

LaSalle has an experienced QB that can sling it. Hearing Elder also has a QB that can sling it. I tend to think it is all about matchups and will change game to game. I also think StX will sling it when needed.

LaSalle has an experienced QB that can sling it. Hearing Elder also has a QB that can sling it. I tend to think it is all about matchups and will change game to game. I also think StX will sling it when needed.
Moe, X, and Elder are inexperienced at QB. How these QBs develop over the course of the season will likely separate the success.

Moe, X, and Elder are inexperienced at QB. How these QBs develop over the course of the season will likely separate the success.
You could of said the same thing about Brogan his junior season and we all know he came out slinging it. These QBs including O'Malley are well coached and are getting great reps in practice.

From what I saw out there Colerain is bad… like real bad but the QB is an absolute dude. Bomber O line is huge, I am assuming X is young all around this year? The team doesn’t have the polish that you usually see so I’m assuming experience has a major part in that.
My take from the stands: Graduated 17 starters so lots of new guys in key roles. Also No D1 receivers (TE does have offers), so there isn't a guy who is going to win 1v1 coverage matchup regardless of the Defense. I think they'll need to rely on the system more this year on both sides of the ball. . The Leadership roles are still evolving and emerging, once games start for real the guys that in addition to the cptn's grab ahold and pull everyone along. With so many new faces it will be work in progress. As Reload or someone else noted in a prior post, expect them to be a lot better end of season that earlier in the year.
I've heard some new starters after the last scrimmage, so coaches still tinkering where to plug guys in for max effect.

2 really tough ones out of the gate, reminds me of 2016 with CA St. John Bosco & Colerain (#1 in state ranking)

My take from the stands: Graduated 17 starters so lots of new guys in key roles. Also No D1 receivers (TE does have offers), so there isn't a guy who is going to win 1v1 coverage matchup regardless of the Defense. I think they'll need to rely on the system more this year on both sides of the ball. . The Leadership roles are still evolving and emerging, once games start for real the guys that in addition to the cptn's grab ahold and pull everyone along. With so many new faces it will be work in progress. As Reload or someone else noted in a prior post, expect them to be a lot better end of season that earlier in the year.
I've heard some new starters after the last scrimmage, so coaches still tinkering where to plug guys in for max effect.

2 really tough ones out of the gate, reminds me of 2016 with CA St. John Bosco & Colerain (#1 in state ranking)
Yeah, they don't have a great WR1 that can stretch everything out, and not sure if the QB has a big enough arm. Napier looked good in the last scrimmage, especially with the line creating holes on the inside. So many juniors on the roster.

Yeah, they don't have a great WR1 that can stretch everything out, and not sure if the QB has a big enough arm. Napier looked good in the last scrimmage, especially with the line creating holes on the inside. So many juniors on the roster.
I think Fitzgerald is going to emerge as the WR1. He's a big target and he's sneaky fast because he's so tall and long. O'Malley can sling it, he hasn't really had to air it out like that yet. The qb's and receiver won't hit their stride until mid to late season. They'll have to lean in on the run game early and often I believe.

I think Fitzgerald is going to emerge as the WR1. He's a big target and he's sneaky fast because he's so tall and long. O'Malley can sling it, he hasn't really had to air it out like that yet. The qb's and receiver won't hit their stride until mid to late season. They'll have to lean in on the run game early and often I believe.
I could see that with Fitzgerald, kind of wish they would have made that move last year after O'Malley emergency as the #2 QB. I'm happy with them grinding games out for now though.

Congrats to WR Jamal Sharp (3rd team) and S Robert Houston (Honorable Mention) for making the AP All Ohio Team

Bombers on AP All Ohio past 4 years

2019 (4)
2nd Team QB Matt Rueve, WR Liam Clifford
3rd Team TE Marshall Lang, SS Tucker Hundley

2020 (6)
1st Team QB Brogan McCaughey, WR Liam Clifford (Offense POY), NG Gio Albanese, LB Matt Devine
2nd Team OL Brian Parker
3rd Team FS Gabe DuBois

2021 (10)
1st Team QB Brogan McCaughey, RB Charles Kellom, WR Terrell McFarlin, LB Grant Lyons
2nd Team OL Brian Parker, S Eli Kirk
3rd Team DL Sam Buerkle
Hon Mention TE Max Klare, OL Cam Collins, CB Alex Kemper

2022 (2)
3rd Team WR Jamaal Sharp
Hon Mention S Robert Houston