2022 Elder Football

No, I’ll just add him to ignore list. However, since nothing important is going on right now, I can indulge him a bit.

It’s naive to think there’s diamonds hidden in the rough buried in the depth chart. This isn’t college, there’s no cuts, anyone can sign up. You’re going to know after the first practice, which kids can hold their own and which can’t. The hard part at the freshmen level, is getting the kids that can hold their own, into the right position.

That’s why a kid who started at corner in the A game, but takes reps at RB in the B game, adds more value than just a backup RB getting those reps.
I'm not being naive. I get what you're saying.

I'm saying his philosophy for development for all of the B and C kids at younger levels can and will have a depth impact once they get to varsity. And as you mentioned, since he has 100+ kids to work with, he really doesn't have to do this. I think that's pretty cool that he does it anyway.

I would say with Elder, Moe and X, they don't have 11 "studs" starting for them. They maybe have 3-4 studs and the others need competent back-ups because the talent level isn't all that different. If you can develop 10-12 solid back-ups to where the team doesn't skip much of a beat if a starter goes down, that is hugely important.

For a school like Elder where rosters are much smaller and depth has been an issue in the last 5 years, I find it odd that people are so against it. Just seems like the smart thing to do. Would they still have to play guys both ways if they developed a deeper bench when the kids were freshman/sophomores?

Last edited:
I'm not being naive. I get what you're saying.

I'm saying his philosophy for development for all of the B and C kids at younger levels can and will have a depth impact once they get to varsity. And as you mentioned, since he has 100+ kids to work with, he really doesn't have to do this. I think that's pretty cool that he does it anyway.

I would say with Elder, Moe and X, they don't have 11 "studs" starting for them. They maybe have 3-4 studs and the others need competent back-ups because the talent level isn't all that different. If you can develop 10-12 solid back-ups to where the team doesn't skip much of a beat if a starter goes down, that is hugely important.

For a school like Elder where rosters are much smaller and depth has been an issue in the last 5 years, I find it odd that people are so against it. Just seems like the smart thing to do. Would they still have to play guys both ways if they developed a deeper bench when the kids were freshman/sophomores?
To answer your question, yes. At this level, raw athleticism will prevail over avg athleticism and solid technique.

To answer your question, yes. At this level, raw athleticism will prevail over avg athleticism and solid technique.
I would argue that most players on all three teams I mention, even the starters, have average athleticism. Like I said, there's only a few that truly stand out on all 3 teams. Everyone else has someone gunning for their spot. And of the 3, Elder has the least athleticism this year.

We're not going to agree on this. I think it would help Elder more than it would hurt it to embrace this philosophy. And regardless of how non-impactful you think it is, it has produced many contributors at X at the Varsity level (not saying studs that went D1, but important contributors that helped them win). That's undeniable. You need depth in Ohio D1.

Last edited:
Didn’t realize OTL85 was Trey until now. Now that I back read his posts I realize it’s the lyrics to the same tired song he sings endlessly all season long. I haven’t been stopping by Yappi much these days and I guess I’ll stay away a little longer until Trey “leaves for good” again.

I would argue that most players on all three teams I mention, even the starters, have average athleticism. Like I said, there's only a few that truly stand out on all 3 teams. Everyone else has someone gunning for their spot. And of the 3, Elder has the least athleticism this year.

We're not going to agree on this. I think it would help Elder more than it would hurt it to embrace this philosophy. And regardless of how non-impactful you think it is, it has produced many contributors at X at the Varsity level (not saying studs that went D1, but important contributors that helped them win). That's undeniable. You need depth in Ohio D1.
Athleticism relative to an average HS football player, not National Recruits.

Didn’t realize OTL85 was Trey until now. Now that I back read his posts I realize it’s the lyrics to the same tired song he sings endlessly all season long. I haven’t been stopping by Yappi much these days and I guess I’ll stay away a little longer until Trey “leaves for good” again.
What are you even talking about? I am completely respectful and alot of times complimentary when I visit this board.

Pages 1 and 2 of the Trey playbook are happening before our eyes - pretend you’re a new person who coincidentally repeats the same talking points Trey repeats annually, go out of your way to mention you’re here for respectful discussion, act like you aren’t Trey when called out on it.

On page 3 is the finally admit to being Trey, page 4 is posts devolve into the standard annual s*itposting.

Call me whoever you want. I grew up in Mason, went to Mason High School, currently live in Sycamore. Have nephews that have played football for Moeller and X over the past 5 years. I highly respect Elder and always have.

I used to be an assistant JV coach in the GMC (basketball) about 10 years ago. Do you want my resume too?

Call me whoever you want. I grew up in Mason, went to Mason High School, currently live in Sycamore. Have nephews that have played football for Moeller and X over the past 5 years. I highly respect Elder and always have.

I used to be an assistant JV coach in the GMC (basketball) about 10 years ago. Do you want my resume too?
Congratulations

So respectful and complimentary you’re on your 4th (5th? 6th?) username! Just your standard respectful guy stuff.

This can't be the same guy. OnTheLine85 went to Mason HS and has friends at X/Moeller. He really respects the way X goes about the program. He's here to guide Elder football to learn the Bomber Way.

UCArch/Trey on the other hand was not from the area at all. I think he was from Columbus, but he moved to the area and has friends at Elder that know people that know people so he knew a lot. It was disappointing to see UCArch go, because he knew so many 2nd and 3rd hand stories. He dropped a lot of knowledge on us.

Doug Ramsey will be on with Mike Dyer's High School Insider Podcast today at 2pm. Oak Hills and West Hi head coaches will be on to talk about the new season also.

Congrats Justin Re on his Division 1 offer from Valpo. Fastest Panther in many years. Will be fun to watch.
Agree. Congrats and let's hope Elder can find a way to get this kid the ball in space.

Also, not that it matters but Div 1 (I know its called something else now) should really just be the 115+ schools technically eligible for a national title. On the low end it's the Mid-American Conference, Conference USA, etc. and on the high end its the Big10 and SEC.

Also, not that it matters but Div 1 (I know its called something else now) should really just be the 115+ schools technically eligible for a national title. On the low end it's the Mid-American Conference, Conference USA, etc. and on the high end its the Big10 and SEC.
It's "Division I Football Championship Subdivision" a.k.a. "FCS" formerly "Division I-AA"

No, I’ll just add him to ignore list. However, since nothing important is going on right now, I can indulge him a bit.

It’s naive to think there’s diamonds hidden in the rough buried in the depth chart. This isn’t college, there’s no cuts, anyone can sign up. You’re going to know after the first practice, which kids can hold their own and which can’t. The hard part at the freshmen level, is getting the kids that can hold their own, into the right position.

That’s why a kid who started at corner in the A game, but takes reps at RB in the B game, adds more value than just a backup RB getting those reps.
I think you're way off base with this. There are plenty of kids, especially at the frosh and JV levels, that haven't developed completely physically, are adjusting to new systems and surroundings, and the overall speed of the next level of competition. The kid who may be two steps slow the first couple weeks can make the adjustment once he's able to stop thinking and just play. There are plenty of kids who are late bloomers as well, or outwork others in the film room or off-season and become better players than those with just raw athletic skill. X's Marque Cummings was a great example of this last year... only saw the field in blowouts the first three years, leads the GCL in sacks and earns a scholarship as a senior because he kept developing himself and getting coached.

Let's be real, freshman season is all about development, not identifying studs, and for the most part, records are irrelevant. Plenty of "stud" 8th graders get physically caught up to in high school, and other than a handful of kids (unless you have a really special class) you don't quite know what you have physically until junior year. The kids who have been getting coaching and doing the off the field work are going to continue to get better as players overall, and can equal or better those who may be more physically gifted.

I think you're way off base with this. There are plenty of kids, especially at the frosh and JV levels, that haven't developed completely physically, are adjusting to new systems and surroundings, and the overall speed of the next level of competition. The kid who may be two steps slow the first couple weeks can make the adjustment once he's able to stop thinking and just play. There are plenty of kids who are late bloomers as well, or outwork others in the film room or off-season and become better players than those with just raw athletic skill. X's Marque Cummings was a great example of this last year... only saw the field in blowouts the first three years, leads the GCL in sacks and earns a scholarship as a senior because he kept developing himself and getting coached.

Let's be real, freshman season is all about development, not identifying studs, and for the most part, records are irrelevant. Plenty of "stud" 8th graders get physically caught up to in high school, and other than a handful of kids (unless you have a really special class) you don't quite know what you have physically until junior year. The kids who have been getting coaching and doing the off the field work are going to continue to get better as players overall, and can equal or better those who may be more physically gifted.
But is his success as a senior more about the coaches or about the work he put in individually? I don’t care what sport jt is but in these scenarios it’s usually more about the work the kid put in.

Again, you only hear about/notice the success stories. The vast majority of Varsity studs were starters at the lower level.

Marque Cummings did not play his junior season, he was injured the entire season. And for the record he played a lot on JV as a sophomore, they just switched his position for varsity which is pretty common at a lot high schools.

interested to hear about Elder - LW scrimmage this Saturday. One of LW starting DBs (Junior) tore his ACL.

LW probably has the best starting 22 players in the Region, but I don't know if they have the depth

interested to hear about Elder - LW scrimmage this Saturday. One of LW starting DBs (Junior) tore his ACL.

LW probably has the best starting 22 players in the Region, but I don't know if they have the depth

I would expect LW to dominate the scrimmage, but I think that's fine. Elder has a lot of talent, but they are breaking in a new QB and it will take time for the offense to develop and new players to step up. I'm hoping the Elder defense looks solid since that the defense has more Varsity experience than the offense.

The freshman and JV also scrimmage Saturday. I'm hearing good things about the freshman class even though 66 players is a little on the low side for a Elder freshman team.

But is his success as a senior more about the coaches or about the work he put in individually? I don’t care what sport jt is but in these scenarios it’s usually more about the work the kid put in.
It's definitely both. You are vastly under-estimating the importance of confidence and leadership on a 15 year old kid. The key is to continually coach these kids up when you know they have some maturing to do. Make them feel wanted and engaged even when they're not playing much. Because, as he said, a ton of kids don't develop physically until junior year. You can't just give up on those kids because there's alot of them.

St X does a GREAT job at this and it starts with Specht's culture of ongoing development for everyone that puts in the time. Obviously, the kid needs to work to improve, but it takes it to another level when your coaches continue to believe in your upside. Alot of places simply give up on kids, especially the ones that haven't matured, after freshman season. Programs that have half their team quit after freshman year should be looking in the mirror.

A coach's confidence can do wonders for engagement and culture. These are the type of things that set St X apart as being the premier high school in the area (and no, I did not go there).

Last edited:
St X does a GREAT job at this and it starts with Specht's culture of ongoing development for everyone that puts in the time. Obviously, the kid needs to work to improve, but it takes it to another level when your coaches continue to believe in your upside. Alot of places simply give up on kids, especially the ones that haven't matured, after freshman season. Programs that have half their team quit after freshman year should be looking in the mirror.

A coach's confidence can do wonders for engagement and culture. These are the type of things that set St X apart as being the premier high school in the area (and no, I did not go there).

I thought this was the Elder forum and the Elder Football thread for this season. St. Xavier has a school forum to discuss Bomber football.

I thought this was the Elder forum and the Elder Football thread for this season. St. Xavier has a school forum to discuss Bomber football.
Development of football players doesn't apply to Elder football? Well, according to some on here (Omar, Mad Dogg) it apparently doesn't nor is it important. Might be a solution to the depth issue everyone here talks about.

It's funny that people think developing kids is telling them what to do and hoping they get to work. That's a very lazy approach to coaching, mentoring and developing. Both coach and athlete should have considerable skin in the game.

Last edited: