NFL considering dropping Pro Bowl after lowest viewership in 16 years

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
The NFL could do away with the Pro Bowl.

According to multiple reports, team officials and owners discussed eliminating the annual all-star game at a meeting in Atlanta on Monday.

While no decision has been made official, the Washington Post reported that a seven-on-seven competition is being considered to take the place of the Pro Bowl, that would not include a full game with tackling.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported the NFL could use Pro Bowl Sunday to showcase players who are voted to the Pro Bowl, without holding an actual game. A flag football game could be a possible alternative solution, among others, per Rapoport.

If they’re going to play it like they did last year, touch football, good riddance.

If they at least take it a little seriously, like attaching something to it to sweeten the pot, keep it.

Good idea. Having this game and playing touch makes no sense. Name the team and leave it at that.

Who on this board watches the Pro Bowl?
I haven't watched it from beginning to end in decades. Football is probably the worst of the 4 major sports in North America for an all star game, with hockey 2nd. The actual nature of the game is physical.
I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of competition comparable to yesteryear Superstars on ABC. The big guys can have a weightlifting competition and/or shot put and discus. AFC VS NFC with a scoring system similar to track and field
The speedsters can have the short sprints and the 4x100/200/400 relays. There would be significant interest in seeing the Tyreke Hills, DK Metcalfs and Dionte Johnsons in this format. And the bragging rights between the players would bleed over to their social media accounts. If there is enough interest in the players you can extend it to some medium/long distance runs
Keep the QB set up with their throwing competition

I'm shocked the NFL network wouldn't pick this game up if the networks don't want it. What a better way for them to close out the season.

Unfortunately we live in a era now where players make too much money to do anything for either fear of getting hurt, or needing extra compensation. If the pro bowl went away, I don't think many would care, including football people. I just thought the NFL Network would make a great home for this.

I also have not watched the Pro Bowl for a couple decades. It just isn't football. I'm on board with the "cancel" decision.

I'm shocked the NFL network wouldn't pick this game up if the networks don't want it. What a better way for them to close out the season.

Unfortunately we live in a era now where players make too much money to do anything for either fear of getting hurt, or needing extra compensation. If the pro bowl went away, I don't think many would care, including football people. I just thought the NFL Network would make a great home for this.
Its not necessarily that the other networks done want it....its the fact that the product is absolute garbage and a bad look for the NFL.

Its not necessarily that the other networks done want it....its the fact that the product is absolute garbage and a bad look for the NFL.
Have you seen what else passes for television viewing these days??? The bar is as low as ever. There is no such thing as a bad look for the NFL. Any publicity, good or bad, is good for the league.

Have you seen what else passes for television viewing these days??? The bar is as low as ever. There is no such thing as a bad look for the NFL. Any publicity, good or bad, is good for the league.
You must be part of Watson's legal team!

Get what you are saying, but in reality nothing good comes out of the game. Nothing. Although people still watch it. I may tune in for a few plays if I remember it is on but quickly back to something else as it is a bastarization of the game.

I know they kicked around doing more of a skills thing and other events. All it takes is one guy to get seriously hurt and that will be gone, too. Rmember that Edwards who tore his knew in beach football and ended his career?

Just name the teams and let it go from there.

You must be part of Watson's legal team!

Get what you are saying, but in reality nothing good comes out of the game. Nothing. Although people still watch it. I may tune in for a few plays if I remember it is on but quickly back to something else as it is a bastarization of the game.

I know they kicked around doing more of a skills thing and other events. All it takes is one guy to get seriously hurt and that will be gone, too. Rmember that Edwards who tore his knew in beach football and ended his career?

Just name the teams and let it go from there.
Here's the thing about the Watson thing....it looks really bad for the Browns, and the Texans. for the other 30 teams, no one gives a flip. Actually, the Ravens/ Steelers and Bengals hopes this drags out all preseason and then he gets suspended. It was the same with Baker Mayfield. It was a circus and the NFL loves that publicity. Have the Browns got more publicity since they left Cleveland and came back??? Of course not.

Hey don't bad-mouth TV in general just because the Pro Bowl is unwatchable.

You just need to choose your options better, this is the golden age of television: Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Yellowstone, Peaky Blinders, Ted Lasso, etc, etc. etc. There are so many really well-made shows now. Just need to avoid the garbage channels on cable. And avoid the Pro Bowl.

You want to crank up the ratings, have a NFL run NCAA all star game of draft eligible and guys thinking about declaring for the draft with the angle being SEC vs. the B1G or SEC vs everyone else. All those yahoos in the south will tune in and crank up the ratings.

You want to crank up the ratings, have a NFL run NCAA all star game of draft eligible and guys thinking about declaring for the draft with the angle being SEC vs. the B1G or SEC vs everyone else. All those yahoos in the south will tune in and crank up the ratings.
They already have these. Mainly played by late round or guys that will be undrafted FAs. Top guys don’t risk injury. Kinda like top players sitting out bowl games.

They already have these. Mainly played by late round or guys that will be undrafted FAs. Top guys don’t risk injury. Kinda like top players sitting out bowl games.
yeah, that was pretty pisspoor suggestion on his part.
Aint no way anyone of interest would play in that game and only blowhards who have zero life like lickingcountyfan would watch.

I’d personally rather see a slate of challenges and skills competitions than the “Pro Bowl” game itself.