Are you a true West Sider??

The National Park Service awarded $34,694 to Price Hill Will for "Preservation Planning of Cincinnati Potter's Field" as part of the History of Equal Rights Grants. It was one of just 10 HER grants this year.

The condition of the Potter's Field is an absolute travesty. I think few people actually know it's there, otherwise it would have been cleared/better maintained a long time ago.

The National Park Service awarded $34,694 to Price Hill Will for "Preservation Planning of Cincinnati Potter's Field" as part of the History of Equal Rights Grants. It was one of just 10 HER grants this year.

Can't say that I've ever heard of Potters Field in Cincinnati, in Bedford Falls yes, but not Cincinnati.

The young men of Elder have done a lot in the past to help preserve this site. Unfortunately, incompetence in the City's administration eventually made the efforts of Elder students and other volunteers impossible to continue. Hopefully, the City will finally give Price Hill Will the greenlight to bring some honor and dignity to this site. The abuse and neglect of this property by the City is a disgrace.

For those not in the know, a "potter's field" is the common name of cemeteries used to bury the destitute, unknow or unclaimed persons. In Cincinnati, those individuals were originally buried where Music Hall is now and later in the lot in question on Guerley Road.

Last edited:

Potter's field is a "generic" term.​

Potter's field
A potter's field, paupers' grave or common grave is a place for the burial of unknown, unclaimed or indigent people. "Potter's field" is of Biblical origin, referring to Aceldama, stated to have been purchased after Judas Iscariot's suicide by the high priests of Jerusalem with the coins that had been paid to Judas for his identification of Jesus. The priests are stated to have acquired it for the burial of strangers, criminals, and the poor, the coins paid to Judas being considered blood money. Prior to Aceldama's use as a burial ground, it had been a site where potters collected high-quality, deeply red clay for the production of ceramics, thus the name potters' field.

Can't say that I've ever heard of Potters Field in Cincinnati, in Bedford Falls yes, but not Cincinnati.
There's up to 20,000 people buried there along Guerley Rd. The field hasn't been maintained in 40+ years and now; it's completely overgrown to the point that you'd have no idea it's there if you hadn't already heard of it.

There's up to 20,000 people buried there along Guerley Rd. The field hasn't been maintained in 40+ years and now; it's completely overgrown to the point that you'd have no idea it's there if you hadn't already heard of it.

20K? Wow!

I personally had no clue there was a potter's field there. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that as I used to be a member of the Cincinnati Historical Society and love local history, especially that of the west-side.

Hopefully the money will get that piece of property back to looking respectful.

Wikipedia page for Lincoln Park in Cincinnati --
History
Cincinnati Township first acquired the land in 1829, sold by J.D. Garrard and Sarah Bella Garrard for $2,000. The township exchanged the land to the city of Cincinnati for Out Lot No. 53 in two stages; the land is currently occupied by the Cincinnati Music Hall. The first exchange was for six acres in 1834, and its second was for four acres in 1837. The site had an asylum for orphans in its northwest corner. During the land exchange, the orphanage was relocated to the out lot, while the building itself began being used as a pest house. The land became known as Potter's Field, as it was made into a potter's field for about 20 years, a public burial ground for lower-income, abandoned, and unclaimed residents of Cincinnati. In 1857, upset property owner complaints resulted in the potter's field and pest house moving outside city limits and the space becoming a park.

Verge Brewing (which was originally planned to be located across Glenway from Elder and Seton) announced they're coming to Delhi Pike.

The building shown appears to be 4807 Delhi Pike which is/was the home of Valvano Flooring.

Update: https://www.vergebrewing.com/pr-vergebrewingdelhi-050622
According to their website, Verge Brewing plans to open by the end of 2022 and Valvano Flooring will move to the building next door.

Last edited:
I am not happy as the property across from Elder is key to development in that area. Price Hill Will needs to get off the dime.

The problem is a developer or development. The problem is the CIty slow walking development in West Price Hill. Permits and money, the City holds the key.
You can’t get your friends Pureval and Cramerding to pick up the pace? Do you feel that Pureval’s inclusive bs doesn’t include Price Hill? Last but not least, what in your opinion has the new Mayor and Council done for Price Hill in their short time?

You can’t get your friends Pureval and Cramerding to pick up the pace? Do you feel that Pureval’s inclusive bs doesn’t include Price Hill? Last but not least, what in your opinion has the new Mayor and Council done for Price Hill in their short time?
Declared Asian American, Pacific Islander Heritage Month:

I expect this to greatly improve the quality of life In Price Hill.

Declared Asian American, Pacific Islander Heritage Month:

I expect this to greatly improve the quality of life In Price Hill.
Hope you are kidding. You know these type of things while usually well deserved do nothing for the quality of life in any neighborhood most of the time.

Hope you are kidding. You know these type of things while usually well deserved do nothing for the quality of life in any neighborhood most of the time.
The declaration was BS and t6hey need to tend to the issues that really impact the City and our quality of life. I don't know of any bias or discrimination against Asians or Pacific Islanders in Cincinnati.

Anyone who has seen my posts in the past would know I was kidding. I don't use teen text abbreviations and I do not us emojis, so I can understand your confusion.

The declaration was BS and t6hey need to tend to the issues that really impact the City and our quality of life. I don't know of any bias or discrimination against Asians or Pacific Islanders in Cincinnati.

Anyone who has seen my posts in the past would know I was kidding. I don't use teen text abbreviations and I do not us emojis, so I can understand your confusion.

Pureval seems to say a lot of well intended things, but actions speak louder than words. He will do and say whatever is in the best interest of him getting re-elected and advancing his political career.

There has been numerous stories about Asian discrimination in Cincy since the pandemic hit. It has been pretty well documented.

There has been numerous stories about Asian discrimination in Cincy since the pandemic hit. It has been pretty well documented.
I have found two, one in April 14, 2021, in Pendleton, with no indication that it was anything more than a random robbery and one in August 18, 2021 up in Clifton. The other stories were based on asking Cincinnatians of Asian decent about the shootings in Atlanta.

I do not believe two amounts to "numerous" and one of those appear to have nothing to do with race.

The only real racial violence going on in Cincinnati is being perpetrated by young Blacks against Hispanics who they believe have a lot of cash on them.

I’m old school too sir. Pureval and this council aren’t going to do a damn thing but talk a good game in Price Hill and many other city neighborhoods.

We got word today that Menards is still in progress but they haven’t actually purchased the property yet. Jersey Mike is remodeling the former Esther Price candies at Harrison and Race. The sale of the property next to Lowes is pending. It will have multiple restaurants and a bank.

NO, no I am not. Born at Good Sam, grew up in Lourdes parish, went to Elder (duh), first apartment in Price Hill, moved up to Ralph Ave., then moved to Westerville, Ohio, then back to Loveland, Ohio for the last 28 years. I am a Lovelander, not a West sider.

NO, no I am not. Born at Good Sam, grew up in Lourdes parish, went to Elder (duh), first apartment in Price Hill, moved up to Ralph Ave., then moved to Westerville, Ohio, then back to Loveland, Ohio for the last 28 years. I am a Lovelander, not a West sider.
Thank you for clarifying