Ak.Ellet job open

Ellet isn't a bad job. They have their own stadium, which is very nice, and good fan support. They could be winning league championships again if they find the right guy. There is no reason Ellet shouldn't be at least .500 every year.

Ellet isn't a bad job. They have their own stadium, which is very nice, and good fan support. They could be winning league championships again if they find the right guy. There is no reason Ellet shouldn't be at least .500 every year.
It would be a great job for a young, high energy, ambitious guy.
The youth program has been completely ignored forever. If someone makes it a priority to build a true feeder system like most of the suburban schools he could make Ellet consistently competitive.

Just takes someone who cares about winning and wants to put forth the effort.
Unfortunately the City Series values babysitting over coaching and program building.
Getting APS to hire the right person is the biggest challenge. For heavens sake they went with Shuman over Martin Poder (at Brecksville now) 5 years ago.

Last edited:
While I should not be surprised about this, I have to say that I am surprised about this. Seems the Yost era is officially over now. I wonder if Yost finally told Shuman that he was done, so Shuman decided the same. They are both good guys who I believe have hung around 5 years too long. They both should have gone out when Yost resigned the HC position. They have done much more damage since then than help.

I am interested in seeing who goes after this job. I have a few names in mind, but not sure if the timing is right for them due to family situations.I think there are some teachers in the building at Ellet that used to be coaches in the City and have a solid reputation. IT will be interesting to see. When is the deadline to apply for this?

While I should not be surprised about this, I have to say that I am surprised about this. Seems the Yost era is officially over now. I wonder if Yost finally told Shuman that he was done, so Shuman decided the same. They are both good guys who I believe have hung around 5 years too long. They both should have gone out when Yost resigned the HC position. They have done much more damage since then than help.

I am interested in seeing who goes after this job. I have a few names in mind, but not sure if the timing is right for them due to family situations.I think there are some teachers in the building at Ellet that used to be coaches in the City and have a solid reputation. IT will be interesting to see. When is the deadline to apply for this?
Posted 1/13, closes 1/24.

THanks, Orange. I find it weird they ope na job for resumes for 11 days. Not even 2 full business week, 11 freaking days. I guess they think the jobs are so fruitful and a financial windfall that they will get tons of applicants. I would think there would, or should be some interest in the job from some assistant coachs in the area, but if they require a teaching job, there isn't one opening due to Shuman's resignation. He has been retired from teaching for probably 15 years or more.I think the spot would attract a few decent resumes seeing that they have the only turf field in the city, lights, new building, and there are some kids there that they need to get out on the field to participate. I think that can be done. I think so much of the Yost/ Shuman regime was the same, nothing changed, kids were stale and didn't want to go through that same old thing. Someone new gets in there and an get some kids out, it will probably take 203 years, but I would think they could really compete, who knows. the state of the City Series and athletics is so non-chalant anymore. Downtown just doesn't care about it.

Anyone on here old enough like me to remember Akron Ellet being in the Metro League prior to rejoining the Akron City Series?? Believe it was early 70"s.

Someone was asking for names. I've been told APS has not been impressed with the applicant pool this go around. I guess only a handful of applicants and I've only heard a few names. AJ Sarbaugh from Fairless, Bob Manchester recently from Claymont but has APS ties, and Ryan Canavan from Ellet but only a couple years of Varsity coaching experience and has not coached the last few years.

Someone was asking for names. I've been told APS has not been impressed with the applicant pool this go around. I guess only a handful of applicants and I've only heard a few names. AJ Sarbaugh from Fairless, Bob Manchester recently from Claymont but has APS ties, and Ryan Canavan from Ellet but only a couple years of Varsity coaching experience and has not coached the last few years.
Not sure why Vass wouldn't be impressed with Sarbaugh. Off that short list he should be the no brain hire. Young guy, no Ellet ties, recognized importance of a youth program and won at a place that isnt really known for winning football.

Not sure why Vass wouldn't be impressed with Sarbaugh. Off that short list he should be the no brain hire. Young guy, no Ellet ties, recognized importance of a youth program and won at a place that isnt really known for winning football.
Not to knock him but one good year in a relatively weak conference that ended in an uncompetitive playoff loss doesn’t scream immediate hire. I am sure he is good coach though. I have heard at least a couple coordinators at other city schools without Ellet ties have applied.

Not to knock him but one good year in a relatively weak conference that ended in an uncompetitive playoff loss doesn’t scream immediate hire. I am sure he is good coach though. I have heard at least a couple coordinators at other city schools without Ellet ties have applied.

I understand.
I like that he's young, played and coached at both Hoover and Mount Union, his teams at Fairless got progressively better every year and he seems to take an interest in building from the youth program.
Just sounds like a complete breath of fresh air for a very stagnated program.

As an outsider, it seems like a breath of fresh air is definitely something that Ellet needs. I'm just curious, why haven't any Ellet guys applied other than Canavan? I thought they had some younger guys on staff with a lot of experience.

THanks, Orange. I find it weird they ope na job for resumes for 11 days. Not even 2 full business week, 11 freaking days. I guess they think the jobs are so fruitful and a financial windfall that they will get tons of applicants. I would think there would, or should be some interest in the job from some assistant coachs in the area, but if they require a teaching job, there isn't one opening due to Shuman's resignation. He has been retired from teaching for probably 15 years or more.I think the spot would attract a few decent resumes seeing that they have the only turf field in the city, lights, new building, and there are some kids there that they need to get out on the field to participate. I think that can be done. I think so much of the Yost/ Shuman regime was the same, nothing changed, kids were stale and didn't want to go through that same old thing. Someone new gets in there and an get some kids out, it will probably take 203 years, but I would think they could really compete, who knows. the state of the City Series and athletics is so non-chalant anymore. Downtown just doesn't care about it.
Pastor Pigskin or Money Ball should apply.

I understand.
I like that he's young, played and coached at both Hoover and Mount Union, his teams at Fairless got progressively better every year and he seems to take an interest in building from the youth program.
Just sounds like a complete breath of fresh air for a very stagnated program.
I hope they don’t hire from someone connected. I know at least one coordinator in another APS program has applied that has no connection to Ellet but played and coaches in the City. It’s such a hard place to win I think that experience may give someone an advantage.

Laktash apply?
Yeah that’s the guy. He was here at St-V for a year or two and has HC and coordinator experience. I’d assume he would be the front runner since he was a finalist 5 years ago. Everyone was shocked Shuman got it over him or Poder in the first place.