DI: Springfield vs St Edward Updates and Game Discussion

I’ve watched almost all the games so far. Refs have been very hands off. For the most part, calling only the egregious plays. Certainly lots of calls left on the field, but nothing game-changing from what I’ve seen. Probably what you want in the championship round.

I’ve watched almost all the games so far. Refs have been very hands off. For the most part, calling only the egregious plays. Certainly lots of calls left on the field, but nothing game-changing from what I’ve seen. Probably what you want in the championship round.
Agreed, but for the one missed PI call that occurred behind the ref's back. Springfield fans have a reason to be upset over that one -- a wonder no one saw it.

Was surprised our star DEs didn't draw more holding calls but in any event I thought the game was fairly called.

Agreed, but for the one missed PI call that occurred behind the ref's back. Springfield fans have a reason to be upset over that one -- a wonder no one saw it.

Was surprised our star DEs didn't draw more holding calls but in any event I thought the game was fairly called.
You can pretty much call holding on every play! The refs let them play!

Congrats to the Eagles. The Wildcats needed balance and just could never run the ball effectively and that cost them.
Go Wildcats!

Not sure. I think St Iggy has the most and MSML can tie or pass them if I recall correctly.
As answered previously, the Eagles have 5 OHSAA football title.
You're right St Ignatius and Marion Local are currently tied with the most playoff titles with 11 each as of this minute. :)

Congrats to the Eagles. The Wildcats needed balance and just could never run the ball effectively and that cost them.
Go Wildcats!
Their run defense is just so solid. A point that was ignored throughout the week as everyone argued who would win.

I know this will read crazy. It's going to take Ignatius rising up again to derail Eds in the north. I don't see it happening any year soon.
We shall see. It's a lot easier to be consistent getting kids from all over many counties so those schools have that on others in region 1

Mentor still won the region 3 of the last 5 years. Aka the other 3 times Eds didn't. Wouldn't write us off based on one bad and injury plagued year (which still included beating Ignatius in week 2)

Go Wildcats!
Idk, Smoot passed for 349 yards. Some questionable play calling when in the Red Zone. There is no question SHS moved the ball up and down the field without the need for a running game. SHS has 22 first downs. Credit to St.Eds for making the critical stops when needed. Overall a good game. SHS never gave up.

We shall see. It's a lot easier to be consistent getting kids from all over many counties so those schools have that on others in region 1

Mentor still won the region 3 of the last 5 years. Aka the other 3 times Eds didn't. Wouldn't write us off based on one bad and injury plagued year (which still included beating Ignatius in week 2)
Their it is…

Their it is…
Yes THERE it is. It's the truth ..

I wouldn't write off the team that's won the region 3 of the last 5 years beating eds in 17 and 19 and playing a tight regional final in 18 vs them too.

I have doubts on Mentor winning it all until they make a couple staff changes , but they are capable of winning the region once and awhile including beating eds

Idk, Smoot passed for 349 yards. Some questionable play calling when in the Red Zone. There is no question SHS moved the ball up and down the field without the need for a running game. SHS has 22 first downs. Credit to St.Eds for making the critical stops when needed. Overall a good game. SHS never gave up.
The red zone stats do kind of sum it up ST EDs 3/5 SHS 2/5

Yes THERE it is. It's the truth ..

I wouldn't write off the team that's won the region 3 of the last 5 years beating eds in 17 and 19 and playing a tight regional final in 18 vs them too.

I have doubts on Mentor winning it all until they make a couple staff changes , but they are capable of winning the region once and awhile including beating eds
Remind us how many titles mentor has again ……. Oh wait zero they choked every time they got there, those silver runner up trophies sure look nice next to the what the 4-5 state title me total .
Ed’s had to resize the gyms banners because there was too many state titles . Buncha haters

Remind us how many titles mentor has again ……. Oh wait zero they choked every time they got there, those silver runner up trophies sure look nice next to the what the 4-5 state title me total .
Ed’s had to resize the gyms banners because there was too many state titles . Buncha haters
The subject was knocking off eds in northeast Ohio. Ignatius guy said it would take them rising up to do so. I pointed out that Mentor has won 3 of the last 5 regional titles. Eds won the other 2

So I think Mentor would have something to say on that claim

The way Eds builds their teams is going to lead to many titles in many sports under this system. A lot different for closed enrollment public schools with a 0 in the competitive balance column and building from one school district vs a school building teams from many counties

I'm well aware Mentor hasnt won a title despite having a handful of teams capable of doing so. They'll never have as many shots as a 7 county all star team but they have had shots

Which of those 5 title teams were you on big guy ? Because if you sat watching , you made the same contribution as me. I don't get self esteem on if Mentor wins or not. I have nothing to do with it

Last edited:
Reactions: 4GX
And there were at least three egregious defensive holds/PI's that were missed, one on Brown in the EZ, one on Brown streaking down the sideline, and the cheap shot on Bradley - yes, it was a cheap shot - Bradley never returned. Would any of those plays have changed the outcome? Who knows. Two of them were in same drive that ended with a pick at the 9, the other ended with a missed FG. But the Cats had other opportunities they failed to capitalize on. The lack of running game hurt when they just needed a yard or two, but IMO opinion wasn't the "difference" in the game.

GO CATS!!!!!!!

And there were at least three egregious defensive holds/PI's that were missed, one on Brown in the EZ, one on Brown streaking down the sideline, and the cheap shot on Bradley - yes, it was a cheap shot - Bradley never returned. Would any of those plays have changed the outcome? Who knows. Two of them were in same drive that ended with a pick at the 9, the other ended with a missed FG. But the Cats had other opportunities they failed to capitalize on. The lack of running game hurt when they just needed a yard or two, but IMO opinion wasn't the "difference" in the game.

GO CATS!!!!!!!
Brown and the DB’s feet got tangled in the end zone. Not interference. The one on Bradley was clearly a bad missed call. Cheap? Wouldn’t call it that. He jacked him up at the top of the route. If that was within the first 5 yards it’s completely legal.

Well said, MentorGrad2002. Not only is it difficult for a public school with closed enrollment to compete with a wide area all star team, roster sizes for the publics are down due to an overall lack of enthusiasm for football.

Now the public school fans are a "buncha haters"? Show a little humility and know why the Ed's and Iggy fans are not well liked.

Well said, MentorGrad2002. Not only is it difficult for a public school with closed enrollment to compete with a wide area all star team, roster sizes for the publics are down due to an overall lack of enthusiasm for football.

Now the public school fans are a "buncha haters"? Show a little humility and know why the Ed's and Iggy fans are not well liked.
In fairness though , many of their posters will admit the system favors them to win titles in bunches in many sports. It's common sense. If you build from one school district vs building from 50-75 or more in a sport like football , the latter will win a lot more.

I don't like how the schools do things but it isn't hating to bring up facts. They'll be more consistent and have more shots because of how they build.

I thought SHS played a solid game and proved they belonged in that game. Not being able to run vs. Ed's clearly limits your chances to beat Ed's. Having a balanced attack increases your chances for sure. And they didn't have it. Credit Ed's for that. They are very difficult to run on.Smoot is a solid passing Qb. The bad thing for him last night were the picks.