Toledo Area Basketball 21-22

Any word on the 6'8" Whitmer transfer, Ja'Vaughn Jones? Didn't hear anything about him in tonight's radio broadcast for the Irish.
Still rehabbing that ACL, but from what I heard he quit altogether and is not with the program any more.

was this a transfer to Whitmer and where from or from Whitmer and where to?
He transferred to TCC from Whitmer last year after his Freshman year. I hadn't heard that he quit altogether, but that could be true. I spoke with someone a couple of weeks ago and he said sometime in January, but that could've changed.

He transferred to TCC from Whitmer last year after his Freshman year. I hadn't heard that he quit altogether, but that could be true. I spoke with someone a couple of weeks ago and he said sometime in January, but that could've changed.
I would love to go 0 for 2 on players quitting rumors but I saw he wasn’t on/near the bench during the game. Talked around and that’s what I’ve heard.

My guess is that he didn’t want to deal with rehabbing it in time for the later part of the season

I would love to go 0 for 2 on players quitting rumors but I saw he wasn’t on/near the bench during the game. Talked around and that’s what I’ve heard.

My guess is that he didn’t want to deal with rehabbing it in time for the later part of the season
So, maybe he's just taking this year off and coming back for his Senior season? Or totally done? That's too bad because he was pretty good his Freshman year. Lost some weight and was looking to have a nice career.

I still remember my son playing against his team in either 5th or 6th grade. I still have a picture of my son standing there while Javon was shooting a FT. That kid was HUGE in 5/6 grade. It was comical.

That's what I'm saying about his size. He wasn't even mentioned earlier in this thread when discussing bigs in the area. He seemed to have possible DI potential and wasn't he a starter for the Irish? He just quit?

If it's not medical or academic, that's coaching. Maybe just a young kid needing a little time away? Keep him involved in other stuff.

Maybe he sees openings in that band? Who has a 6'8" sousaphone player? Best wishes to the kid. Not easy being one these days, particularly I imagine one that can be seen coming from a mile.

That's what I'm saying about his size. He wasn't even mentioned earlier in this thread when discussing bigs in the area. He seemed to have possible DI potential and wasn't he a starter for the Irish? He just quit?
Honestly, I'd forgotten about him because he didn't play last year, or at least very much due to the injury. If he was healthy and playing, I'd say he'd be one of the best "bigs" in the area. Like I said earlier, he played some Freshman and JV his Freshman year when Whitmer played at Perrysburg. He was pretty good and from what I remember had a pretty good AAU and Summer after his Freshman year. Not sure when the injury happened, but I think it was early in the season last year?

Honestly, I'd forgotten about him because he didn't play last year, or at least very much due to the injury. If he was healthy and playing, I'd say he'd be one of the best "bigs" in the area. Like I said earlier, he played some Freshman and JV his Freshman year when Whitmer played at Perrysburg. He was pretty good and from what I remember had a pretty good AAU and Summer after his Freshman year. Not sure when the injury happened, but I think it was early in the season last year?
In practice last year. He was completely unavailable (along with transfer Greenlee) to play during their playoff run.

Nice upset by Rogers over Start. The Rogers coach McBrayer related to Chris McBrayer, who coaches at scott who is married to the best basketball player the city has produced in the last two decades?

He played in Central's final regular season game against Whitmer and then got hurt in practice the week of the sectionals. Hope he comes back to play next year.

Is there a list of scores anywheres? Anyone get punched in a floor scrum or the handshake line?
Not last night. Maybe someone will come forward after the fact though. :stirthepot:

Basketball for Toledo area definitely better this season than in recent ones. Got a chance to see the Easter kid play. He lived up to the hype. Well rounded and solid frame. I think someone told me he has been held back twice? That correct? If so it changes some things. I was trying to think how he would compare, at such a young class/grade, to greats from Toledo past but it is tough when the EC pick-up team is beating up on small farm schools. I see they must be in an out of town tournament and did lose. Shown that way on MaxPreps but not the school schedule. I also see they have SF and Scott on the schedule. Scott couold give them a game. SF might sucker.

Perrysburg appears really solid. Looking forward to their Northview match-up. Kammeyer/Criag match-ups should be fun. SJ looks good and Whitmer also looks surprisingly good and young (another frosh and soph). CCHS should be boss. They have assembled a pretty good squad on Cherry St.

Easter should be a junior or senior this year. No doubt is he going to show out but I’m hankering for some big-time local matchups with EC this year. I think they play Stritch today.

I saw Whitmer’s Deric Jaynes is doing pretty well for them, he dropped 21 against Ross last night. I believe he went back to Whitmer after transferring to TCC his sophomore year. Don’t blame him considering how their junior class is absolutely loaded. Good kid, hope he continues to play well through the season.

Easter should be a junior or senior this year. No doubt is he going to show out but I’m hankering for some big-time local matchups with EC this year. I think they play Stritch today.
A Blade article from April said he was 14. Unless that's wrong he'd most likely be 18 when he graduates. That seems pretty normal.

A Blade article from April said he was 14. Unless that's wrong he'd most likely be 18 when he graduates. That seems pretty normal.
I know the big “knock” against him by “critics” (for lack of a better word) is that he’s been held back a few years.

Either he was playing up or his family is fudging with his age, because AFAIK I believe he has played on/against the AAU teams of some area upperclassmen in middle school.

If it's not medical or academic, that's coaching. Maybe just a young kid needing a little time away? Keep him involved in other stuff.

Maybe he sees openings in that band? Who has a 6'8" sousaphone player? Best wishes to the kid. Not easy being one these days, particularly I imagine one that can be seen coming from a mile.
A little off-topic, but the 6'8" sousaphone player reminded me of something from my misspent youth. During elementary school and part of junior high I attended Sandusky city schools. Back then there were lots of kids and Sandusky was coming off of a very successful period under the late Bob Beachy. My family moved and I lost track of some of the guys I knew and played street ball with. Fast forward to high school and on a lark I decided to take in a Sandusky basketball game and the Streaks program had fallen on hard times. As they took the court for warm-ups I wondered what ever became of some of those guys and happened to glance over in the direction of the pep band. I immediately recognized two guys that I knew, both of them now in the 6'8" range (I was a smidgen over 6'5" and these guys towered over me) and playing in the band.. I asked them why they had gotten away from basketball, one had just lost interest after being hounded to play by Gary Reynolds and the other said that he didn't want to be "used simply for his height" and stopped playing. He was a good guy but it was clear that he fancied himself to be a deep thinker. One was slender and the other was really put together. The cerebral one went to Morehead State after graduation and wound up making the basketball squad as a walk-on.

I know the big “knock” against him by “critics” (for lack of a better word) is that he’s been held back a few years.

Either he was playing up or his family is fudging with his age, because AFAIK I believe he has played on/against the AAU teams of some area upperclassmen in middle school.
Really looking forward to an EC vs Antwerp District final.

one had just lost interest after being hounded to play by Gary Reynolds and the other said that he didn't want to be "used simply for his height" and stopped playing. He was a good guy but it was clear that he fancied himself to be a deep thinker.
IDK if they were deep thinkers or not. There were a couple guys in high school I recall saying nearly that same thing. I also was asked to come out for the team and am sure to this day it was just a need for someone that could easily sweep under the bench.

I went to the EC at CS game last night and was impressed with Jerry and crew. My boys spent some time practicing with the Glenwood team and playing against them often. Jerry has an elite skill set. Coaching him can be a challenge, last night early in the second half he started to basket hang/cherry pick bc he lost interest in the 20 halftime margin. Armstead got upset at him and pulled him and Jerry looked right over at his dad. I would say he’s a little on the immature side but the interesting thing might be how he relates to Houston, an older teammate playing for a scholarship.

So someone with the facts, how old is jerry easter because i cant imagine him being 17 or 18 years old

Article from 4/24/2021.....so 14 at that time. Oldest he could be when he graduates is 19 and that is if he has a spring birthday.....so playing senior season at 18, which is normal.

I thought I read on here in a prior thread that he was much older, but not the case.

For those who have seen EC can they make a run in the tournament. Giving up 72 points in a 83-72 game to a Stritch team with 1 returning varsity player causes some concern.

We're gonna find out how good Easter is in conference play. Isn't like the TAAC is a slouch league considering some of the better game-planning coaches in NW Ohio are at Toledo Christian. Ottawa Hills will draw something up to keep it close and as Stritch indicated, they're gonna hang around for a few rounds. Add in MVCD, and it's as tough as any circuit out there. Keep in mind, the NW District for D4 is no cakewalk, especially with Antwerp, TC, and a sleeper will come out of the BBC (don't be shocked if the Bombers from Edon can flat out play this year).

That said, can't wait to see this kid play tomorrow night over at St. Francis.

We're gonna find out how good Easter is in conference play. Isn't like the TAAC is a slouch league considering some of the better game-planning coaches in NW Ohio are at Toledo Christian. Ottawa Hills will draw something up to keep it close and as Stritch indicated, they're gonna hang around for a few rounds. Add in MVCD, and it's as tough as any circuit out there. Keep in mind, the NW District for D4 is no cakewalk, especially with Antwerp, TC, and a sleeper will come out of the BBC (don't be shocked if the Bombers from Edon can flat out play this year).

That said, can't wait to see this kid play tomorrow night over at St. Francis.

Agree Antwerp will give them everything they want, but the TAAC is way down from the last several years.

Stritch has 8 guys playing in college right now - have maybe 1 guy who will play D3 on their current roster. Would have liked to see Stritch play EC with Revels, Hightower and Hughes to better gauge where EC is at

Maumee Valley has 5 guys playing in college right now - don't think they have much back this season

Toledo Christian has 2 guys playing in college and graduated a good Sr. class from a team with very little depth

Ottawa Hills - not sure what they have

Northwood - Not good

When I was thinking a run in the the tournament I was more wondering if they can get past Antwerp in the district and TBD in the regional.

Article from 4/24/2021.....so 14 at that time. Oldest he could be when he graduates is 19 and that is if he has a spring birthday.....so playing senior season at 18, which is normal.

I thought I read on here in a prior thread that he was much older, but not the case.

For those who have seen EC can they make a run in the tournament. Giving up 72 points in a 83-72 game to a Stritch team with 1 returning varsity player causes some concern.
He must of got one of those Danny Amonte birth certificates. I know he attended 3 different schools and repeated 6 grade at all those schools. Should be a jr.

My nephew could be in the 6th grade for 3 straight years and still be younger than kids in his class. How old is the Syroka kid at St Franics thats a "sophomore"? Regardless, Ive watched some very very talented DIV teams in the area go out to Napoleon district and get pantsed. If you dont play good team defense in that district and you dont maximize every possession, itll be a quick run.

My nephew could be in the 6th grade for 3 straight years and still be younger than kids in his class. How old is the Syroka kid at St Franics thats a "sophomore"? Regardless, Ive watched some very very talented DIV teams in the area go out to Napoleon district and get pantsed. If you dont play good team defense in that district and you dont maximize every possession, itll be a quick run.
I don’t think anyone is questioning the Syroka kid. They are questioning Easters age. Parents told the Blade he’s 14. So if he did 3 straight years of 6th grade, that puts him in school for 12 years already. Meaning he would of started kindergarten at the age of 2 if he’s 14???

Unless he skipped a few grades earlier. Why don't you get more up into this travesty of age justice then come back and report to us.