Division I State Championship: Springfield (13-1) vs. Lakewood St. Edward (13-1)

Who wins?

• St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • Springfield by 1-7

Votes: 36 29.5%
  • Springfield by 8-16

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Springfield by 17+

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed that Smoot presents an entirely different challenge than Allar, regardless of Allar's superior status as an overall QB. I don't expect Ed's to be able to "erase" him, but Pappas is one of the best in the state at game-planning to limit the oppositions best weapons. Eliminating the big plays should be the approach. As explosive as the Springfield offense can be at times, it appears to me that most of the half-way decent teams the Wildcats have played this year have been able to keep them in the 20-point range (or lower). Springfield may very well be the best defense Ed's has seen this year, but I think the opposite is true as well. Ed's is very strong at the point of attack defensively, and they have a lot of bodies they rotate in on the back seven that keeps legs fresh.

Agreed that Smoot presents an entirely different challenge than Allar, regardless of Allar's superior status as an overall QB. I don't expect Ed's to be able to "erase" him, but Pappas is one of the best in the state at game-planning to limit the oppositions best weapons. Eliminating the big plays should be the approach. As explosive as the Springfield offense can be at times, it appears to me that most of the half-way decent teams the Wildcats have played this year have been able to keep them in the 20-point range (or lower). Springfield may very well be the best defense Ed's has seen this year, but I think the opposite is true as well. Ed's is very strong at the point of attack defensively, and they have a lot of bodies they rotate in on the back seven that keeps legs fresh.
How does Ed's matchup speedwise? The 2 best defenses SHS has faced this year probably are Fairmont and Marysville. In both games, SHS converted on 3rd downs well and moved into opponent territory throughout the games. IMO, St Eds had to stop 3rd down conversions and big plays which no one has done so far this year.

How does Ed's matchup speedwise? The 2 best defenses SHS has faced this year probably are Fairmont and Marysville. In both games, SHS converted on 3rd downs well and moved into opponent territory throughout the games. IMO, St Eds had to stop 3rd down conversions and big plays which no one has done so far this year.
St. Edward has very good team speed, especially the back 7 on D.

Good luck to both teams.

Yes John Carrol's HC Rick Finotti was the head coach in 2010, however the defensive coordinator is the same I believe.
Well, St Eds certainly deserves recognition as an elite program year in and year out although this is their first trip back to the state tournament in several years. Still, Moeller and St Ignatius also are elite programs. Both of them really evolved and got better as this season progressed. Moeller really got hot 2d half of this season and arguably was the hottest team in the playoffs. They played great games against SHS and Lakota. But the difference was SHS wanted it more. So, SHS will respect St Ed's coming into this game but they have no reason to be intimidated simply because of St Eds history as an elite program. Regardless of the outcome, expect both of these teams to matchup well and give a great performance. I don't see a 44-3 halftime score.

Hard to stop a dual threat on 3rd down. Smoot is a walking conversion by himself.
Well, St Eds certainly deserves recognition as an elite program year in and year out although this is their first trip back to the state tournament in several years. Still, Moeller and St Ignatius also are elite programs. Both of them really evolved and got better as this season progressed. Moeller really got hot 2d half of this season arguably was the hottest team in the playoffs. So, SHS will respect St Ed's coming into this game but they have no reason to be intimidated. Regardless of the outcome, expect both of these teams to matchup well and give a great performance. I don't see a 44-3 halftime score.
Still surprised Moeller got passed Lakota West.

Hard to stop a dual threat on 3rd down. Smoot is a walking conversion by himself.

Still surprised Moeller got passed Lakota West.
Lakota West's coach said they made uncharacteristic mistakes that left points on the field. Also, they might have overlooked Moeller a bit after their huge emotional revenge win over St Xavier. All season long, Cincinnati fans only talked about Lakota West and St Xavier as being far above everyone else.

In the spirit of cooperation, your apology is accepted. And, thank you very much for your honesty and for fully revealing yourself for the jealous hater you are. Of course, you're not alone. But, as they say, don't hate the player, hate the game. And it's SHS's game now. Finally, please focus only on contributing positive discussion about Friday's game on this thread. I am concerned Yappi posters will view your post as just more nonsensical, bs trash talk that makes it difficult for them to read this thread. Please respect their wishes by refraining from making these types of meaningless, futile, useless posts that provide no value whatsoever to the pertinent discussion about SHS closing in on the 2021 D1 state championship. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation. ?
Appreciate the comments on my comments. As far as the characterization of "jealous hater", I'm going to have to take your word for that. Only thing I know about the school is that y'all combined 2 schools into 1 during the last recession and I remember thinking "well that's smart."

In regard to "contributing positive discussion" I noticed you completely avoided the comments on the game projections that show SHS as a 2 TD underdog. Admittedly, I was a bit surprised, then realized that St Ed's has a victory over the D2 finalist (Hoban) and the only one of Springfield's regular season opponents to make it beyond 2nd round was St Ignatius who also lost to Ed's.

Should be a great game.

Smoot has a different skill set. Not better but equally as dangerous. Ed's wont be able to defend him in the same way.
Perfect explanation. I 100% agree with you. I will add that I believe that these 2 teams could play 10 times and it would end 5 wins each. Pretty even match-up and will simply come down to who plays better on THIS Friday night.

Perfect explanation. I 100% agree with you. I will add that I believe that these 2 teams could play 10 times and it would end 5 wins each. Pretty even match-up and will simply come down to who plays better on THIS Friday night.
If Smoot has a monster breakout game against St Ed's and they win State, I wonder how that will affect the post season Mr Football and AP D1 honors awards. I know Medina's qb is going to Penn State and is a top rated qb nationally ahead of Smoot. But, if Smoot does what the other guy couldn't do on the field, that has to count for something.

Ed’s will shut down smoot just like every one else they’ve played
They would be the first to do it. But, that doesn't necessarily mean Eds will win. SHS's defense is one of the best 2 defenses in the State, possibly THE best. SHS's special teams have come up big at times to get the winning points. Admittedly, against Findlay, SHS's offense struggled and left points on the field. Special teams recovered a botched punt to set up a TD, and later blocked a punt for a scoop n score for another TD which got the win. At the end of the Moeller game, SHS's defense was invincible and bolted the door shut. So, even if Smoot and the offense struggle, that doesn't guarantee anything.

They would be the first to do it. But, that doesn't necessarily mean Eds will win. SHS's defense is one of the best 2 defenses in the State, possibly THE best. SHS's special teams have come up big at times to get the winning points. Admittedly, against Findlay, SHS's offense struggled. Special teams recovered a botched punt to set up a TD, and later blocked a punt for a scoop n score to win. At the end of the Moeller, SHS's defense was invincible and bolted the door shut. So, even if Smoot and the offense struggle, that doesn't guarantee anything.
The Wildcats did give up 60+ yard TD to Moe. Just sayin'. Go Wildcats!

Reardon won 3 titles with Ursuline, but have not seen another title as head coach of another team
You are correct. His titles have all come at Ursuline. He was the HC at Canton McKinley for 4 years and they did make the playoffs every year but they only won one playoff game in that time. He was a HC at 2 different high schools in Colorado between his first stint at Ursuline and taking the McK job but I believe he had an overall losing record in those 3 years posting seasonal records of 2-8, 3-6 & 6-4.

A handful of coaches have taken two different Ohio high schools to a title game but to my knowledge only coach Lombardo has won a title at two different schools.

The Wildcats did give up 60+ yard TD to Moe. Just sayin'. Go Wildcats!
Yeah but my point is SHS's defense and special teams very well could get the win on their own if they get turnovers and block punts. Remember the pick 6 to defeat St Ignatius?

1. Sorry, I'll try to do better.
2. Uhh . . . I did #1 and found this . . . now I don't know what to do. You told me I'm wrong & do research and the research says I'm right & you're wrong . . . HELP!!

View attachment 24047
Please revisit what I stated. No where did I state they gave Athletic scholarships. I stated they make up for the lack of Athletic scholarships with Aid packages. Athletes have a much higher chance of getting accepted than a non athlete even a non athlete who has better GPA and ACT/SAT score. This is how the IVY's get around it and how they are able to compete (also I did not single out Football, I also eluded to basketball and wrestling) but they do the same thing Football wise based off Academic index (research that one for yourself) but in short they can add x amount of lower level academic athletes each year to their roster.
https://scholarshipowl.com/blog/app...vy-league-schools-give-athletic-scholarships/
https://scholarshipstats.com/ivies

What did UA do to keep the game so close. Going into the game I read most didn’t think it would even be close
UA played good defense. Ed's was pretty conservative but with that said they ran the ball down our throat and kept us off the field and completley controlled time of possession. When we had the ball we could not establish the run game at all. Our RB was in a boot for a few days after the PC game with an ankle sprain but he was healthy enough to play vs Ed's sure it may have effected his lateral movement but no excuses even at 100% Ed's D was to good. When we were in passing situations Ed's D-line got lots of pressure plus they had several different blitz and coverage disguises that kept us off. Only success we had throwing was when rolling our QB out. Like I mentioned earlier two great Defenses in this one, SHS D-line is much stouter then UA so you should be able to do better against Ed's Rush attack. I think whoever can throw the ball successfully wins this one. In the event of inclement weather effecting the pass game, this will be a grind em out slugfest up front.

If Smoot has a monster breakout game against St Ed's and they win State, I wonder how that will affect the post season Mr Football and AP D1 honors awards. I know Medina's qb is going to Penn State and is a top rated qb nationally ahead of Smoot. But, if Smoot does what the other guy couldn't do on the field, that has to count for something.
I'm just giving my honest opinion. I think Drew Allar has already won it.

Please revisit what I stated. No where did I state they gave Athletic scholarships. I stated they make up for the lack of Athletic scholarships with Aid packages. Athletes have a much higher chance of getting accepted than a non athlete even a non athlete who has better GPA and ACT/SAT score. This is how the IVY's get around it and how they are able to compete (also I did not single out Football, I also eluded to basketball and wrestling) but they do the same thing Football wise based off Academic index (research that one for yourself) but in short they can add x amount of lower level academic athletes each year to their roster.
https://scholarshipowl.com/blog/app...vy-league-schools-give-athletic-scholarships/
https://scholarshipstats.com/ivies
Gotcha. My mistake. I did misread your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.