Division I State Semifinal: Upper Arlington (14-0) vs St. Edward (13-1)

Who wins?

• Upper Arlington by 17+

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Upper Arlington by 8-16

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Upper Arlington by 1-7

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • St. Edward by 1-7

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • St. Edward by 8-16

Votes: 39 39.4%
  • St. Edward by 17+

Votes: 34 34.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Or maybe the same ref crew from the regional final.
I saw UA get a freebie on a touchdown that should have been OPI for a push off. I saw PC get away with at least 5-6 obvious holds that went for big chunks not get called with the back judge standing with there. PC had two TD’s called back on penalties both LEGIT calls. Watch the tape and judge for yourself: OC had more talent UA had more discipline and played a really clean game. PC online lost the game for them. Jeez they had to have had 6-8 drive killing false starts. WHY? Penalties are part of the game and is a big reason why PC lost

I agree. Heard St Ed’s hung close with the Browns earlier this year in a scrimmage. Ed’s has Just too much talent for anyone in OHIO HS football to play with them. Rumor is UA school board is considering cancelling this game to save travel funds to put towards other priorities aside from athletics.
I enjoy the sarcasm.

Come back here next Friday after the game. When Eds wins by 3 TDs or more, we can read more of your witty retorts.

Again, not a fan of Eds. I would love to see UA win this game. However, the Eagles are way better, and they will dominate both Golden Bears lines.

I saw UA get a freebie on a touchdown that should have been OPI for a push off. I saw PC get away with at least 5-6 obvious holds that went for big chunks not get called with the back judge standing with there. PC had two TD’s called back on penalties both LEGIT calls. Watch the tape and judge for yourself: OC had more talent UA had more discipline and played a really clean game. PC online lost the game for them. Jeez they had to have had 6-8 drive killing false starts. WHY? Penalties are part of the game and is a big reason why PC lost
Accurate analysis.

I enjoy the sarcasm.

Come back here next Friday after the game. When Eds wins by 3 TDs or more, we can read more of your witty retorts.

Again, not a fan of Eds. I would love to see UA win this game. However, the Eagles are way better, and they will dominate both Golden Bears lines.
Oh Dear! Only 3Td’s. Shiver me timber’s!!! Predicting a much closer game than I expected . FWIW I will be one of the first ones on here to congratulate Ed’s on their victory if and when they win! I appreciate good football… But that congratulations will only come after I drive back from what I assume will be Mansfield…

I just Hope ST Ed’s will be merciful and.Do not massacre UA. Maybe The Arch Diocese will speak with them about Humility and showing mercy. Lord Knows they have this one in the bag… Onward Christian Soldiers!
Someone has to be favored. And it is St. Ed's for sure. Odds, betting lines, and fans opinions mean nothing. But that is why they play the games.

Someone has to be favored. And it is St. Ed's for sure. Odds, betting lines, and fans opinions mean nothing. But that is why they play the games.
I agree I don’t think Ed’s is invincible either I think springfield or moeller can beat them

I agree I don’t think Ed’s is invincible either I think springfield or moeller can beat them
Yup hate to admit those are the only two teams that have any remote chance. If anyone has a shot I would have to give the edge to Moeller. (More Prayers would be said for ABMHS than for. SHS)

Golden Bears have been flying under the radar a bit all year and come into the semis as the only undefeated team. Can't take anyone lightly at this point. Who can tell us about this UA team? Strengths, weaknesses, players to watch?

This game is going to be a lot like Ohio State/ Michigan State. Get outta hand early and see if Ed's can crack 60 in the 2nd half

No doubt! not invincible at all but frankly UA has no chance.
Who is better this year between Upper Arlington and Medina? I'll assume Medina just played a bad game on Friday the way Pickerington Central did last year in the state championship game. St. Ed's was played tough by a few opponents this year in a few games.

Who is better this year between Upper Arlington and Medina? I'll assume Medina just played a bad game on Friday the way Pickerington Central did last year in the state championship game. St. Ed's was played tough by a few opponents this year in a few games.
Hard to tell. Most in NEO will say Medina. Most in Central Ohio will say UA.
Medina’s best wins appear to be Avon and St. Ignatius.
UA’s best wins probably New Albany and Pickerington Central.
Doesn’t appear to be any crossover games for comparison.
I don’t know a ton about Medina, other than that they sort of came out of nowhere upsetting St. Edward and St.Ignatius in playoffs last season.

Hard to tell. Most in NEO will say Medina. Most in Central Ohio will say UA.
Medina’s best wins appear to be Avon and St. Ignatius.
UA’s best wins probably New Albany and Pickerington Central.
Doesn’t appear to be any crossover games for comparison.
I don’t know a ton about Medina, other than that they sort of came out of nowhere upsetting St. Edward and St.Ignatius in playoffs last season.
Agree with your comments above. I can't comment to Medina or anyone on their schedule I heard they run 5 wide and sling it around and don't have much of a rushing attack, but that is hear say I have not seen them on tape or in person. The Only potential measurable is UA opponents PC and soon to be St Ed's both played Massilon this year. With that said still doesn't mean much or tell you much..

Doesn't seem that anyone can tell us a thing about UA. As for Medina, they were a very good team. And despite the final score against Ed's, they actually had a very solid defense this year. I don't think even the bullish Ignatius fans on this board could have predicted that outcome. Just a very well executed game plan by St. Edward and what appeared to me to be a lack of a backup plan by Medina when the passing game was ineffective. Last year they went power-I on Ed's on multiple occasions and had great success on ground in securing the victory. They may have lined up in a run formation twice all game this past Friday.

Ed's beating Medina was more about the defensive scheme that Ed's used than an indication of who is better between UA and Medina. Medina is a rare breed in what they run on offense. Most teams would really struggle to stop that offense. Especially if they had never played them before. Ed's had 2 previous meetings with Allar and company. They devised and executed the perfect defensive scheme. Keep in mind, Ed's also had the players to run the scheme they ran. Not everyone has that luxury. Matchups in football are huge. This may help put it in to perspective.
2019 playoff game: Ed's gave up 38 to Allar as sophomore/Medina.
2020 playoff game: Ed's gave up 35 to Allar as a junior and a much better QB than when he was a soph.
2021 playoff game: Ed's gave up 10 to Allar as a 5 star senior.

Now all of that goes out the window when they play their next opponent. Every team can and does present a different problem, schemes, player(s), coaching philosophies, etc...

Last edited:
All I can say is UA runs an offense where they like to run between 60-65 percent of the time (has a 2000 yard rusher) with a hard-nosed defense that flys to the ball. Their coach Dustin Buttermore is a defensive guru who over the years has had signature postseason wins as a underdog. In the 2017 season he led a 5 seeded Tri-Valley to the D-3 state championship game where they were a possession away from taking the game into overtime. I know preparing for St Eds is a very daunting task but I expect Buttermore to have his team lock in ready to go.

All I can say is UA runs an offense where they like to run between 60-65 percent of the time (has a 2000 yard rusher) with a hard-nosed defense that flys to the ball. Their coach Dustin Buttermore is a defensive guru who over the years has had signature postseason wins as a underdog. In the 2017 season he led a 5 seeded Tri-Valley to the D-3 state championship game where they were a possession away from taking the game into overtime. I know preparing for St Eds is a very daunting task but I expect Buttermore to have his team lock in ready to go.
UA will represent central Ohio, their town and their school in a great way. I don’t believe for one minute St. Ed’s is going to run away with this one. If the kids are as sure as their fans are that this will be an easy win then the Eagles will be in for a big surprise.

Appreciate the info. Likewise, St. Edward is a run-heavy team and runs a pretty basic read-option offense. I don't think it's a particularly difficult offense to defend from a scheme standpoint, but it's the jimmy's and joe's they bring to the table that make it work really well. They use the run to set up the pass, and will take a number of opportune shots downfield once the opposition commits to stopping the run. The QB is very mobile, but average as a passer. He throws best over the middle of the field.

Defensively the Eagles are pretty multiple and, depending upon the offensive tendencies of their opponent, will operate out of a standard 4-3 or a 4-2-5 most of the time. Two D1 ends that can get after the QB, a very good MLB whose size is probably the only reason he doesn't have a D1 offer to date, and a deep secondary that plays about 8 guys pretty consistently depending on down and distance. They defend the run extremely well as a group.

Some notes:

(1) Gresock is a really good RB. He's legimately really good. Runs really hard, good vision, nice burst and good overall speed. He's legit.
(2) Cannon (#1) and Mazzaferi (#3) are good WRs. Cannon, in particular, is a legit really good WR.
(3) Monnin is a nice QB. Nothing great, but he makes enough throws to give UA balances attack.
(4) Their OL was mostly whipped by PC's stellar DL. Gresock probably had 4 or 5 chunk gains but was mostly running into a wall. His 106 yards on 29 carries was a hard man's work. Monnin basically had 1.5 seconds tops if he was in a straight drop back. On sprint roll outs they looked better.
(5) Their DL is fast but a little undersized. But, they don't need them to be dominant -- just take up blockers and maybe shoot a gap. Their LBs are really good. And, I think their secondary is pretty good, too.
(6) As noted, Buttermore is a really good coach. They play clean, clean football. PC was vastly more talented, but PC was not a well-coached team (IMO) and UA really is. And even then, they needed most calls to go their way to pull it out -- well, I guess they also had bad day kicking which would have won things for them in regulation.

My expectations:

(1) UA will have a little more success running the ball against Ed's, but it's maybe the difference from 4.0 ypc to 4.5 ypc. That maybe gets you an extra first down or two on a drive, but it doesn't ultimately mean that many more points.
(2) UA will probably pass about as well against PC -- which is to say, middling. I watching some of the Ed's-Medina game, and I was pretty impressed with Ed's coverage players.
(3) UA's defense will probably slow down Ed's more than you think they will. Again, from only watching the Medina game, it seems like Ed's has a good OL and a nice back, but it seems like they actually run RPO a bunch (unlike PC). If Ed's has an effective RPO game they can probably neutralize UA's LBs -- who are really the best part of the defense. I think that happens, so I think they probably move the ball fairly effectively.
(4) UA won't get bullied or dominated physically. PC's OL is ridiculously big and their DL is just plain ridiculous. UA was definitely having trouble with their DL, but they managed to mostly hold up against the OL power game.

That said, I have Ed's at about 10-17 points. I'd say probably something like 31-14 or 38-21. Maybe 31-21.