What is Recruiting?

cjb5656

“Parente said The Warrior Way is for those students who currently attend parochial schools or are homeschooled.”

“Part of the recruiting process also includes promoting Fairview High School’s athletic teams and facilities.”

I’ve never had a problem with so-called recruiting by private schools, public schools, or whatever, but my understanding is that it’s not allowed by the OHSAA.

I don't know if "recruit" is the right word choice for what is described in this article. That sounds more like promoting.
I agree, but isn’t recruiting pretty much just promoting what your school can offer a student athlete and his/her family?

I don’t see that Fairview is doing anything wrong, by the way, but I’m also fine with nearby Lutheran West or St Joseph Academy doing the same.

I guess I just don’t understand when promoting becomes recruiting?

I think it becomes recruiting when something if offered, something tangible, a benefit that someone else may not be offered. I know its a play on words but I think if the headline didn't use the word recruit in it we would just think they were promoting the program.

I think it becomes recruiting when something if offered, something tangible, a benefit that someone else may not be offered. I know its a play on words but I think if the headline didn't use the word recruit in it we would just think they were promoting the program.
Think your close. I turned in a situation to OHSAA years back where a school on their web page offered scholarships (private school) to individuals who excelled in music, art or athletics. I heard nothing back from them so I contacted them again. They simply stated this was not a form of recruiting.

So you can advertise the offer of thousands of dollars in exchange for athletic talent, but that is not recruiting.

That left me to believe recruiting is defined more in the manner the legal profession defines it, you can advertise your services, even free services for legal council, but you can not ambulance chase an individual. If the athlete comes to the school because of great past history, great coaches, great facilities or great financial incentives those are essentially all marketing which is allowed. What is not allowed is the knock on the door by the varsity coach and trying to convince an individual who shows no immediate interest in what you have to offer to become interested. That is recruiting.

But the varsity coach can speak freely and friendly with athletes and hope they eventually decide to check his program out. That is not recruiting, it is again marketing your program.

I didn’t read the article, but under OHSAA bylaws, mass marketing is permitted. Promoting athletics alongside all of a school’s other academic and extracurricular offerings is permitted, but promoting athletics by itself is not permitted.

“Parente said The Warrior Way is for those students who currently attend parochial schools or are homeschooled.”

“Part of the recruiting process also includes promoting Fairview High School’s athletic teams and facilities.”

I’ve never had a problem with so-called recruiting by private schools, public schools, or whatever, but my understanding is that it’s not allowed by the OHSAA.

There is either leagl or illegal recruiting, any school public or private can follow the rules and legally recuit, alot do not follow the rules, stay tuned for one of the biggestcheaters to fall this week in nEO.

Triv at Mentor did a great job using the rules legally to keep his potential player pool in mentor, and it paid off.

Here's an excellent source of information concerning recruiting from the OHSAA. Question #4 should provide most of the answers you're looking for.