A Generation of American Men Give Up on College

Higher Education is good for fields that require degrees, but avoid Oberlin at all costs. For the millionth time, this is why we need bullies.

about the funniest dang thing i have read in a long time...... it's one of those things that you say to yourself " you got to be kidding"

Lol. I literally read this just before logging into Yappi just now. Hysterically funny, but also sad because this idiot really believes he has a valid complaint. Like Crusaders said, "altering people's realities to make their quasi-reality seem true."
they should have grabbed him by his panties..... and tossed him as far as they could out of the building.....

There's a sect of our population that still turns up its nose towards the trade school table at the college fair, but those guys are gods when you, ahem, put too much spaghetti squash in your garbage disposal.

Flip side of that coin is the physical toll a lot of those jobs take on its workers. Is $100K worth it if your body is ravaged by age 50?
I wouldn't put a specific age on it but doing manual labor all my life it does take a physical toll on the body but on the other hand I was never deep in debt so yes it is basically a tradeoff.

Higher Education is good for fields that require degrees, but avoid Oberlin at all costs. For the millionth time, this is why we need bullies.

Lol ? lol ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Shouldn’t we be pushing women into trades? For diversity?
Strong push. Every day. The fact is the trades do not discriminate when it comes to work and most women struggle to perform physical work. Especially in today's day and age when most kids do not even cut their parents grass anymore and are essentially breast fed through 18 and beyond.

There is an interesting example when it came to the trades. Every time we would bring in a new class of apprentices you could never figure out who would make it. Muscle heads would tap out and the dopey looking kid would be rock star. The ONLY thing that matters is a work ethic. It does not matter if you are blue and from Mars, as long as you can make a contractor money, they will hire you.

At first I was sympathetic with the author. Who would allow such vile individuals to enter the private residence of innocent students?

Then I googled cisgender and found out I AM THAT VILE INDIVIDUAL. Again , who would allow such vile individuals near innocent students?

Strong push. Every day. The fact is the trades do not discriminate when it comes to work and most women struggle to perform physical work. Especially in today's day and age when most kids do not even cut their parents grass anymore and are essentially breast fed through 18 and beyond.

There is an interesting example when it came to the trades. Every time we would bring in a new class of apprentices you could never figure out who would make it. Muscle heads would tap out and the dopey looking kid would be rock star. The ONLY thing that matters is a work ethic. It does not matter if you are blue and from Mars, as long as you can make a contractor money, they will hire you.
I was speaking with a friend about the cyclical nature of the job market over extended periods of time (think decades, not years). We both have teenagers and we’re talking about how everything we heard was “you have to get a degree” (on repeat). Now, both of us are telling our teenagers, “you don’t have to go to college if you don’t want, in order to make decent to good money”.

It’s almost as if we are on the tail end of a new age “enlightenment”.

I was speaking with a friend about the cyclical nature of the job market over extended periods of time (think decades, not years). We both have teenagers and we’re talking about how everything we heard was “you have to get a degree” (on repeat). Now, both of us are telling our teenagers, “you don’t have to go to college if you don’t want, in order to make decent to good money”.

You never had to go to college to make decent money, however college graduates clearly make more money accross the board, have more options and have a much much much higher ceiling to their income. We are higher college grads right now with an opportunity to make 75-100K working from home. Your kidding yourself if you don't think a college degree is worthwhile....you just need to be smart on which college, major and funding options you take.

Also, many of the kids I know in their early 20's are not going into a high skill trade they are waffling in part time gigs and living at home.

You never had to go to college to make decent money, however college graduates clearly make more money accross the board, have more options and have a much much much higher ceiling to their income. We are higher college grads right now with an opportunity to make 75-100K working from home. Your kidding yourself if you don't think a college degree is worthwhile....you just need to be smart on which college, major and funding options you take.

Also, many of the kids I know in their early 20's are not going into a high skill trade they are waffling in part time gigs and living at home.
Look at you go. I was talking to IB specifically. If someone wants to go to college, including my kid, I support it. However, I’m not going to lead my kid to believe college is the only way, much like many parents pushed in the 80s/90s.

I know you Libs need more kids to indoctrinate, so this movement away from college is frightening to you.

“Oh my gosh! How will we teach them about marginalized peoples?”

Or how about taking care of you body, eating right and having regular check ups? If your body breaks down, in most cases it’s because you’re letting it break down. It’s amazing how wussified this country is becoming
Not going to agree, and assume you are not a tradesman? I spent several years in the HVAC field, and had to get out at the ripe old age of 23 to allow my body a chance to heal. Carpal tunnel from working with metal shears, bad knees and patella tendinitis from kneeling/walking on knees, ruptured disk L5/S1, and sacral joint that locked up from all the other inflammatory issues of bending and contorting. I left that field and went into appliance repair but noticed the majority of technicians either advanced to management by age 40 or left the field due to physical injury caused by repetitive motion. (The taller you are the quicker you fail).

So truck driving should be reparative right? Nope, backs weren't meant to sit unflexed for long periods of time and being strapped to a chair in isolation for most of your awake hours is no way to go through life.

So my families experience. The men in our family have by far lower paying jobs, and much harder time getting them than their female counterparts. This has led to moms needing to keep working while dad stays at home with the kids. Problem for me is, I strongly believe that women are naturally better with the little rug rats, and the men are more equipped for handling the duties of providing. In one case the male in the family met his wife at college and they have similar degrees. She got job offers immediately for 80k /yr and he worked minimum wage for 6 months until he finally got a job for $10.00/hr and today makes $12.00. So when the spouse earns four times that amount who's income can you dispose of more easily?

As a farmer myself, I can say without question the largest drawback to trades for me was the repetitive motion and boring nature of setup, install, cleanup repeat. A job in agriculture is not nearly as repetitive and changes with the seasons.

For now and as long as society holds together.

Look at you go. I was talking to IB specifically. If someone wants to go to college, including my kid, I support it. However, I’m not going to lead my kid to believe college is the only way, much like many parents pushed in the 80s/90s.

I know you Libs need more kids to indoctrinate, so this movement away from college is frightening to you.

“Oh my gosh! How will we teach them about marginalized peoples?”
The biggest concern I had with our kids not going to college is for awhile it seemed almost any job required a degree. So we felt out of necessity to encourage them to get at least a four year degree.

Now that's starting to look a little different as employers have started to go back the other way in search of talent.

Your kidding yourself if you don't think a college degree is worthwhile....you just need to be smart on which college, major and funding options you take.
For girls that's still true, but for guys having to take the lower paying jobs, not sure it makes as much sense today.

Bingo and last year many chose not to go. Go woke go broke

The biggest concern I had with our kids not going to college is for awhile it seemed almost any job required a degree. So we felt out of necessity to encourage them to get at least a four year degree.

Now that's starting to look a little different as employers have started to go back the other way in search of talent.
You can get a job in Amazon's warehouse or driving a truck w/o a degree

If you want a job in HQ you need a degree...and yes they pay better

The king of the jungle is the Lion. The alpha male rules the lion. I am the Alpha male, hear me roar. Get me a cup of coffee candy ash.

There really are lots of jobs where soft skills are most important. More than most might expect. This is anecdotal but years ago, I was a recruiter for a tech company that was eventually bought by a Fortune 50 company. We had an entry level operations/project management job that we constantly needed to hire as the company grew. I had a team lead tell me specifically to target English or general Communications Studies grads as he had particularly good employees coming from that background. There was nothing about the position that couldn't be quickly trained as long as the candidates could work quickly, stay organized, and communicate clearly over phone and e-mail. A lot of those kids were quickly on a path towards learning Agile and later earning their PMP certifications. So I wouldn't necessarily say those majors are wasteful.

Problem is those kids don't really know yet how to find those opportunities. If I'm a Computer Science grad, I'm looking for Jr. Software Developer or Cyber Security Analyst, depending on the direction. I don't think an English major knows to look for Project Coordinator.

Not going to agree, and assume you are not a tradesman? I spent several years in the HVAC field, and had to get out at the ripe old age of 23 to allow my body a chance to heal. Carpal tunnel from working with metal shears, bad knees and patella tendinitis from kneeling/walking on knees, ruptured disk L5/S1, and sacral joint that locked up from all the other inflammatory issues of bending and contorting. I left that field and went into appliance repair but noticed the majority of technicians either advanced to management by age 40 or left the field due to physical injury caused by repetitive motion. (The taller you are the quicker you fail).

So truck driving should be reparative right? Nope, backs weren't meant to sit unflexed for long periods of time and being strapped to a chair in isolation for most of your awake hours is no way to go through life.

So my families experience. The men in our family have by far lower paying jobs, and much harder time getting them than their female counterparts. This has led to moms needing to keep working while dad stays at home with the kids. Problem for me is, I strongly believe that women are naturally better with the little rug rats, and the men are more equipped for handling the duties of providing. In one case the male in the family met his wife at college and they have similar degrees. She got job offers immediately for 80k /yr and he worked minimum wage for 6 months until he finally got a job for $10.00/hr and today makes $12.00. So when the spouse earns four times that amount who's income can you dispose of more easily?

As a farmer myself, I can say without question the largest drawback to trades for me was the repetitive motion and boring nature of setup, install, cleanup repeat. A job in agriculture is not nearly as repetitive and changes with the seasons.
Sorry this happened to you but I know many, many people who do this kind of work without the problems you had, especially at 23 years old. You do what you have to feed a family, period. There are a few holes in your story though, man can’t get a job and when he did only 10/hr? I call BS on that as freaking Amazon pays double that, BK where I live has an ad for 18/hr, the restaurant and bar industry is begging for help.

Get ya. But if you've worked hard and academically are in the top 5% your probably not going to be willing or satisfied with a <50% earning potential. So the point was, if I desire top pay, degrees seem required. Or , go out and do your own thing building your own business which is what many prefer to do to escape the college thing.

Sorry this happened to you but I know many, many people who do this kind of work without the problems you had, especially at 23 years old. You do what you have to feed a family, period. There are a few holes in your story though, man can’t get a job and when he did only 10/hr? I call BS on that as freaking Amazon pays double that, BK where I live has an ad for 18/hr, the restaurant and bar industry is begging for help.
He wanted to stay in his field of study (medical). He should be alright eventually but is back in med school now so bills keep piling up.

As far as my health, wasn't trying to get sympathy. I survived better than a close friend of mine. He stepped on a platform one day that was hanging by chains from the ceiling and is used to protect hanging heaters in large warehouses from being hit by forklifts . The chain popped off of one corner (only secured by S hooks) and he fell on his head from 12 '. Never the same since. So really, I've had it pretty good, no real complaints.

One point I have not seen expressed here, is how long into life we will need the young generation to work? It's one thing to retire at 65 from a physical job but to ask them to go from 18 just out of school to 72 ( expected retirement age for this generation, is 54 years and you better be able to get behind a desk for that last 20. Logically, most employers will not keep a common laborer past 50 years of age unless they are very good and bring more to the company than their physical labor.

Not sure of your age, but how have you made it this long without understanding the gender spectrum? Or recognizing your privilege? Or being violent towards others simply by existing or being near a marginalized individual?

Please advise.
Alpha male with money. ** I realize I'm not taking it with me** No social media and I don’t give a flying f about any of these ignorant holes. 57 years old, white and a MAGA follower.

He was talking about the mantra that you HAVE to go to college. There are great benefits to a college degree but I have watched hundreds of kids who were poor students and had no clue what they wanted to do go to college and incur massive debt only to never use a lick of that education. His point is very valid.

Lots of truth here. I left the field for management at 32. I was and still am beat up because of it. Smashed toes, bent fingers, pins and screws holding things together. There is a trade off.

I was opposite of you when it came to the trades. Every job was different. Some good, some bad. Working downtown on a high rise in the summer was awesome. Some bridge jobs were my favorite as well. Some bridge jobs in the winter were the absolute worst (river's act as wind tunnels). All around working in Jan and Feb most years blew but I did love how every job was different.

He wanted to stay in his field of study (medical). He should be alright eventually but is back in med school now so bills keep piling up.

As far as my health, wasn't trying to get sympathy. I survived better than a close friend of mine. He stepped on a platform one day that was hanging by chains from the ceiling and is used to protect hanging heaters in large warehouses from being hit by forklifts . The chain popped off of one corner (only secured by S hooks) and he fell on his head from 12 '. Never the same since. So really, I've had it pretty good, no real complaints.

One point I have not seen expressed here, is how long into life we will need the young generation to work? It's one thing to retire at 65 from a physical job but to ask them to go from 18 just out of school to 72 ( expected retirement age for this generation, is 54 years and you better be able to get behind a desk for that last 20. Logically, most employers will not keep a common laborer past 50 years of age unless they are very good and bring more to the company than their physical labor.
I witnessed 5 people die on the job in the field. Several other from management. Should never happen but still does.

I alluded this earlier but the trades are work and less and less people have that work ethic. Kids today have a skewed view because, well, they do not work. So they want to be a welder or an electrician but in order to be that guy you have to be a grinder and a cable puller for years which is laborious work in -5 cold and 95 degree heat.

As for retirement a good friend of mine just retired last year at the ripe old age of 49. The local still has 30 and out and he got in when he was 18. Can you imagine that? Retiring at 49 with a pension? You could start an entire new career at that point.

I witnessed 5 people die on the job in the field. Several other from management. Should never happen but still does.

I alluded this earlier but the trades are work and less and less people have that work ethic. Kids today have a skewed view because, well, they do not work. So they want to be a welder or an electrician but in order to be that guy you have to be a grinder and a cable puller for years which is laborious work in -5 cold and 95 degree heat.

As for retirement a good friend of mine just retired last year at the ripe old age of 49. The local still has 30 and out and he got in when he was 18. Can you imagine that? Retiring at 49 with a pension? You could start an entire new career at that point.
That is one area I do believe the union has all over merit shops, retirement at an age where your body still can enjoy life with your mind.

I worked pretty hard for twenty years as an entrepreneur, and tried semi retirement. Some people are not meant to ever retire. I am back at it full time now and enjoy labor so much more (and people too) having felt what doing nothing feels like. My problem is I do not want hobbies because they are expensive, so I do nothing. Not a good formula for longevity.

My son in the military has plans to retire once he's been in 20 years and will be 39, so yes, a second career is likely for him.

Check out “The Coddling of the American Mind” and it’s complimentary website: www.thecoddling.com

Sure, I guess “it” could happen anywhere. However, this Alphabet movement/sensitivity movement has been heavily fostered on college campuses across the country. You act like this ideology is permeating through the steel mills and factory floors…
Just finished the book. Great read

Just finished the book. Great read
I’m glad you enjoyed it. The statistics and research presented are amazing and a definite, educational view of current societal culture.

I encourage everyone to read it! Pssst… Lefties, it’s not written by a conservative, don’t be scared of coming out a Trumper after you read.