2021 St. Edward Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year was always going to come down to Ramos taking the next step as a passer. After a shaky week 1 against TCC, he's really settled in and the playbook has expanded exponentially from what they were able to call all of last year.

Most noticeable to me in our 2 games. He has really improved as a passer.

I got St. X 1 St. Ed 2 but alot of football left to be played. Good luck rest of the way.

Great game last night. Ramos has certainly improved as a passer has nice touch on his ball. His running ability is a huge plus for Ed’s offense. Both backs run hard. The line is huge and those dudes don’t just block well, they want to bury defenders. Between St.X and the Eagles its a toss up for the title. Good luck the rest of the way.

Most noticeable to me in our 2 games. He has really improved as a passer.

I got St. X 1 St. Ed 2 but alot of football left to be played. Good luck rest of the way.
That’s how I have it as well, and we have a ways to go to be in position to deal with X. Right now I think they are head and shoulders above everyone.

Great win last night. Always tough to beat them in spite of a talent differential. Hats off to them and their coach. St. X loss a shocker. Were they overrated?

D continues to look very solid. O had opportunities early and kept putting the D in tough spots with short fields for Iggy's O. More work to be done weeks 8 through 10 in advance of the post season.

Go Eagles!

The JV wore the traditional green and yellow uniforms for the Ignatius game on Saturday afternoon but the Varsity wore black uniforms on Saturday evening. Are the school colors now black and green?

D continues to look very solid. O had opportunities early and kept putting the D in tough spots with short fields for Iggy's O. More work to be done weeks 8 through 10 in advance of the post season.

Go Eagles!
I agree, the defense held together with some pretty challenging field position. The execution on offense was not great Saturday, too many little things added up to a lot. Unfortunate that they called back the TD to Manning, kept the game interesting for too long. Similar with the bad snap on the punt at the end of the game. I did not feel like a win was in doubt at all but those two plays kept the possibility open. Still, always good to beat your rival, always good to respond to challenges. Playing against a team for 4 quarters is also valuable and I think this was the first game since Week 1 we had to do that. Going into the playoffs, that should only help.

Unsure what Football North brings as a challenge but the last time we played them I thought they looked much better than they had been in previous years. Nice to see the Eagles ranked Number 1 in the state too, although it means little if they cannot continue to get better each week. If anything it puts a target on their back for someone like Medina, who probably feels slighted somewhat since they were the last team to beat St. Ed's.

I agree, the defense held together with some pretty challenging field position. The execution on offense was not great Saturday, too many little things added up to a lot. Unfortunate that they called back the TD to Manning, kept the game interesting for too long. Similar with the bad snap on the punt at the end of the game. I did not feel like a win was in doubt at all but those two plays kept the possibility open. Still, always good to beat your rival, always good to respond to challenges. Playing against a team for 4 quarters is also valuable and I think this was the first game since Week 1 we had to do that. Going into the playoffs, that should only help.

Unsure what Football North brings as a challenge but the last time we played them I thought they looked much better than they had been in previous years. Nice to see the Eagles ranked Number 1 in the state too, although it means little if they cannot continue to get better each week. If anything it puts a target on their back for someone like Medina, who probably feels slighted somewhat since they were the last team to beat St. Ed's.
Agreed. I think this staff, while interested in winning the remaining games, is most interested in testing this 2021 version of the St. Edward HS football team in advance of the playoffs. Going for it on 4th and 1 (or other distance) allows the team to be challenged and respond...this staff wants a hardened and experienced squad going into the post season. Look for similar challenges by the staff in weeks 8-10 for this team.

Go Eagles!

Seeing the game is at Bay High School. I know usually every other year they play Elder at a different stadium than Lakewood. While I love Lakewood as the home stadium, I think there's definitely value in playing some home games around the local suburbs. Rough memory but I think they've played at Bay, Fairview, John Carroll, Highland, and Bedford in the past.

Seeing the game is at Bay High School. I know usually every other year they play Elder at a different stadium than Lakewood. While I love Lakewood as the home stadium, I think there's definitely value in playing some home games around the local suburbs. Rough memory but I think they've played at Bay, Fairview, John Carroll, Highland, and Bedford in the past.
Actually that's a good memory. Those are the stadiums I recall the school using for various games when Lakewood was not available.

Also played Elder at BW a few years ago as well

I wonder if they would play at the renovated field at John Marshall ever or Rocky River, Westlake, Avon Lake, etc. Not sure how intentional the process is or if they are just looking for a field that is open when these weeks happen.

I wonder if they would play at the renovated field at John Marshall ever or Rocky River, Westlake, Avon Lake, etc. Not sure how intentional the process is or if they are just looking for a field that is open when these weeks happen.
John Marshall has no pressbox and one side of bleachers. Many times its scheduling conflicts with Lakewood with band festivals those weeks. I doubt some of those schools would rather not have them there since many students that go to Ed's come from those communities.

Lombardo closing in on his father-in-law John Gibbons for most wins at St. Edward. After last week.

John Gibbons 73
Tom Lombardo 68
Rick Finotti 62
Dan Flaherty 56
Jim McQuaide 54

Lombardo closing in on his father-in-law John Gibbons for most wins at St. Edward. After last week.

John Gibbons 73
Tom Lombardo 68
Rick Finotti 62
Dan Flaherty 56
Jim McQuaide 54
Can you do a quick winning percentage rank of these coaches?

Some great company to be in there and that's great for Lombo, he has continued a great program that got back on the rails with Gibbons' efforts. About the game last week, felt we played well against a big team on the lines, tough to get a running game going with 8 in the box every play. While it did not rain much during the game, the field and conditions were wet, wondering if that led to a couple bad snaps. Something to keep an eye on, it seems like we have a snap go over the qb's head once a game. Would love to see them work some throws in the middle of the field these next two weeks, everything goes to the boundary, which I know limits chances at turnovers but I feel like we have some potential hitting some seams, drags, and squares, especially with the speed we have at receiver this season. Am I totally off thinking that?

Some great company to be in there and that's great for Lombo, he has continued a great program that got back on the rails with Gibbons' efforts. About the game last week, felt we played well against a big team on the lines, tough to get a running game going with 8 in the box every play. While it did not rain much during the game, the field and conditions were wet, wondering if that led to a couple bad snaps. Something to keep an eye on, it seems like we have a snap go over the qb's head once a game. Would love to see them work some throws in the middle of the field these next two weeks, everything goes to the boundary, which I know limits chances at turnovers but I feel like we have some potential hitting some seams, drags, and squares, especially with the speed we have at receiver this season. Am I totally off thinking that?
Good recap...they have missed connecting on the big pass play the last few weeks as well. Connecting on the deep route will give opposing defenses another item to think about during weekly prep. Go Eagles!

There seemed to be more passes over the middle early in the year, but they have gone away from that. Not sure why as I think Ramos is most accurate in the short-to-intermediate middle of the field. His deep ball accuracy is touch and go.

All kinds of articles list Gibbons record with the Eagles as 81-22. I know in 2004 we had 4 forfeits. That doesn't explain the difference between 73-81.

Lombardo: 69-13 (84.1%)
Gibbons: 81-22 (78.6%)

What was the percentage of coaches who placed black stripes on the helmets?
That percentage is comparable to the number of self-righteous, smug, elitist, arrogant, moralizing, pretentious, hoity-toity, holier-than-thou Ignatius grads who lash out at a rival in the ascendancy. In other words, it's a pretty high percentage.

I recently came across the archives thread and happened to check out past threads from early 2000s. AZ is asking the same questions from 15 + years ago and his posting style hasn’t changed a bit.

Atleast, some of the similar posters have moved on.

I also love that we haven't used black stripes in over a decade and it's still brought up...

I also love that we haven't used black stripes in over a decade and it's still brought up...
Never understood the outrage in the first place. But looking at where we currently stand as a society in terms of being constantly offended, perhaps that was a sign of the direction we were headed in. I knew the Ignatians were ahead of the curve on cancel culture!

While you would like to win them all, best to see a loss in the regular season. The Moeller QB is talented and the Eagles could not stop their TE (#84) from getting BIG 1st downs at every opportunity. Also, losing your starting placekicker can change how one coaches in game situations.
The Eagles will need to be more effective in the passing game to defeat Hoban...expect Hoban to make the Eagles one dimensional, shorten the field, and use field position to their advantage with a solid running game from their TB and QB to try to win the contest (much like what the Eagles will try to do to against the Knights). Should be a hard fought contest.

Go Eagles!

Status
Not open for further replies.