Division II Ohio AP Polls (First AP Poll)

So almost half way though- who does everyone think will or could win it? Ill ask again, Is Lasalle to strong this year? If not who is?

Why exactly are we saying La Salle is too strong? Their scores don't exactly show them tearing up their competition and nothing so far has said that competition has been state level. Unless there have been changes, I know their coaches are experienced with play-offs. What else puts them over the top of Benedictine, Hoban, AL, ….

Last edited:
Too strong? I don’t think La Salle is near as strong as it was in 2019 or 2020. BUT wins over Colerain, Winton Woods and Louisville Trinity indicate they’re probably Final Four material, at least to me. Blowing out Trinity on the road is a good win, no matter what Trinity has done so far against a tough schedule.

Only four weeks in, I think you have to still see Hoban, La Salle and Massillon as top tier until proven otherwise because they’ve been the class of DII for several years now. Maybe Benedictine and Avon Lake are that good too. We don’t know yet and those programs certainly haven’t shown it the past few years.

R8: Turpin making a good case. That differential in the Coffman win is holding up well againsts Coffman's other competition.
R7: Berlin playing better competition than Big Walnut. No clear leader but probably Washington with the tough schedule.
R6: Barberton
R5: Bene the highest harbins by far in D2, due to winning a tough schedule. Hudson struggled against meh DI teams. Willoughby is brushing aside their competition so largely unknown without actually seeing them play.

Turpin is making a good case by losing to Milford, who just got blown off the field by WW last night? Comon man, don't let that Coffman game fool you, they are a completely gutted team from both graduation and coaching change who are doing a complete re-build from the ground up. Draw a line thru that game and tell me what is impressive about Turpin's resume and what a sore thumb that Milford game is. They aren't even one of the 4 best teams in R8.

And don't let the standings in R7 fool you either, MW is the CLEAR standout team in that region and will blow thru it like hurricane Katrina. If you want to know what the minor awards will be, Berlin and Big Walnut scrimmaged and unless BW was doing one of the biggest con jobs of all times during that game, they don't belong on the field with Berlin. BW has a nice win over a Westerviille South team who has had several questionable outings this year, but other than that their schedule is complete tomato cans. BW is a young, improving team, but if they played in the league or even the OOC schedule that Berlin/Tangy/Scioto play, they wouldn't be anywhere near the top of this division. Berlin is still a flawed team and not a shoein for the finals, South could re-emerge and has the ability to beat anyone this side of MW if they put their minds to it.

R6 would have said Avon/Avon Lake going into the year, but there are some really weird things going on there and it looks exceptionally weak overall, overtaking R8 for the worst region in the state.

R5 is stacked with depth, with the best teams being Hoban and Bene, but a log jam of good teams just below them.