Week 3: (2-0) Milton-Union @ (0-1) Oakwood

Bless Em All

These two old SWBL rivals knock heads once again.
The Bulldogs are coming off an emotional upset of Valley View last week. Oakwood, as of this posting, was facing off with Northridge on Saturday evening, but with a week 1 loss to Mariemont 43-10.
Milton seems poised to run through the rest of their schedule, barring any injuries, and make the playoffs in Division IV, Region 16. Oakwood, has had a way of sneaking up on Milton in the past. The Dogs will need to guard against a let down and take care of business this week at Mack Hummon Field
My pick is Milton in a close battle. 21-20.

I don't see it being that close. I'll take MU by a couple of scores. MU beating VV at VV is a big win. I don't think oakwood is that good. MU looking at a historic season in their new league. Possibly undefeated.

I don't see it being that close. I'll take MU by a couple of scores. MU beating VV at VV is a big win. I don't think oakwood is that good. MU looking at a historic season in their new league. Possibly undefeated.
Last undefeated team at MU was in 1982. First year of the old SRC (Southwestern Rivers Conference), my Junior year. I'd love to see them break that record. Milton has had several undefeated teams, but like I said, it's been a long time. Milton beat Valley View at Milton, not Gtown.

Oakwood beat Northridge 20-16. I doubt MU puts a running clock on Riverside, Troy Christian. Both are good teams. The TRC typically would have Covington, Milton, Miami East, Riverside and Troy Christian battling out every year. It's not a typical year for Covington or Miami East.
Milton needs to guard against a let down vs a weaker opponent.

Oakwood beat Northridge 20-16. I doubt MU puts a running clock on Riverside, Troy Christian. Both are good teams. The TRC typically would have Covington, Milton, Miami East, Riverside and Troy Christian battling out every year. It's not a typical year for Covington or Miami East.
Milton needs to guard against a let down vs a weaker opponent.
have to be careful vs Oakwood. remember Oakwood gave VV fits back when VV had some very good teams.

This is definitely a winnable game for MU. It's a game you do need to be careful with though. I only say that coming off of a nice win over VV and playing an opponent that's familiar with MU. But if the Bulldogs come out ready to play, I expect them to beat Oakwood by 14+. It should be:

MU 35
Oakwood 14

Heard some interesting facts about Oakwood today. This is a good team with a really good QB. I'm aware that Oakwood looks at each week and could care less about what happened last week.
I'm going out on a limb here and saying MU will have to play as good against Oakwood as they did vs Valley View. With this being at Oakwood, it could get interesting.
This seems to always be a trap game for MU.
MU 21-20

Oakwood will surprise some folks this year. Both games played so far have had key injuries early in the game. When healthy this team will definitely stir the pot. I believe its a full roster this week vs MU. Should be a dandy.

Oakwood will surprise some folks this year. Both games played so far have had key injuries early in the game. When healthy this team will definitely stir the pot. I believe its a full roster this week vs MU. Should be a dandy.
Interesting. It's nice to hear someone posting about the Jacks. What can you tell us about them offensively and defensively?

Oakwood trailed 16-0 and was shut out into the 4th quarter against Northridge. The jacks had 3 first half interceptions. They had a 90 yard interception return for a touchdown and a couple of drives in the 4th quarter to earn the victory. Oakwood completed 11 of 26 pass attempts and had just 214 yards of total offense. 113 passing, 101 rushing but they were 4-4 on third down and 1-1 on 4th down.

I think defensively they are tough. Offensively they have been inconsistent but can hurt you. Penalties have hurt them. Clean that up and I think they will give everyone a good tussle. Winning games...not sure. Competing..absolutely.

Oakwood runs the spread. New OC, new offense. The kids are learning a little more each week. They have had key players get hurt, starting QB has only played 1 and a half quarters in the opener and a Sophomore QB is trying to hold court while learning in O. The #1 receiver went down early in the last game which really hurt.
So, the “next player up” , is a little behind on the system. The first team players have taken 95% of the snaps in practice/preseason just to learn the offense. So any backup put in is learning on the fly.

Many different kids have stepped up here and there to keep them competitive. They will struggle the next few weeks, MU then VV, but could be really tough as the season progresses.

All these problems will probably benefit them in the long run, but BlessEm is right, they are only looking forward to the next game and will play week to week not worrying about last game.

I don’t know if they will be full force, but I expect them to play hard.

Oakwood 10
MU 28

Highest repect for the Jacks. Will they allow spectators this week? Is there a mask requirement for the stadium?
I'm expecting a barn-burner. Always a tough out in Mack Hummon. Best of luck to the Jacks as well!

Very disturbed that I had to go online and use a credit card to purchase a ticket for the game. I love Oakwood's Pine Club hamburgers, but I will not purchase them or any other type of food or drink at the game. This will be my approach to any sports institution who tells me I can't use money. I will eat elsewhere before the game.

Highest repect for the Jacks. Will they allow spectators this week? Is there a mask requirement for the stadium?
I'm expecting a barn-burner. Always a tough out in Mack Hummon. Best of luck to the Jacks as well!
bought my ticket. where do I park? is there a parking lot or park around the streets near the field?

People need to b__ch and not buy concessions. Better yet, not go to the games. Hit these lazy clowns in the pocket book. I am done going to any NFL Football game, because of their mobile tickets and credit card/debit card policies. ?
Munch, it's all good bro. This is just a small town school game. I think they may have issues with lines. Oakwood takes the whole covid thing very serious.

Munch, it's all good bro. This is just a small town school game. I think they may have issues with lines. Oakwood takes the whole covid thing very serious.
I know. It's a bigger issue when Big Institutions and Businesses attempt to make this a plastic society and using Covid as an excuse for laziness and dictatorial means on the consumer. At least football schools like Milton, Valley View, Miami East and Covington do things the right way. I am done complaining. I am enjoying the season and the job Pearce and his staff are doing. This could be a very special Bulldog team. Go Bulldogs ?

Last edited:
Oakwood runs the spread. New OC, new offense. The kids are learning a little more each week. They have had key players get hurt, starting QB has only played 1 and a half quarters in the opener and a Sophomore QB is trying to hold court while learning in O. The #1 receiver went down early in the last game which really hurt.
So, the “next player up” , is a little behind on the system. The first team players have taken 95% of the snaps in practice/preseason just to learn the offense. So any backup put in is learning on the fly.

Many different kids have stepped up here and there to keep them competitive. They will struggle the next few weeks, MU then VV, but could be really tough as the season progresses.

All these problems will probably benefit them in the long run, but BlessEm is right, they are only looking forward to the next game and will play week to week not worrying about last game.

I don’t know if they will be full force, but I expect them to play hard.

Oakwood 10
MU 28
Hate for any kids to be hurt and if you win the competitive spirit of seeing and beating the best should override an impulse for a cheap win. Will these injured players be able to make a return? Looks like it could be a competitive game in a couple weeks for the spartans.

It was easy to see #1's injury to those that were at Saturday's game. Hope he is fine.
What happened to the quarterback? He looks like a heck of a punter. Can't be too bad if he was able to punt Saturday!

Not sure what exactly are the injury is for the qb, but receiver I believe is a concussion.

Punting and playing QB aren’t quite the same as far as taking hits.

Hope they both can play.