D1 Pre-Season Ratings

mostchilly

Just a poll from Cleveland.com, but an interesting early view of the top contenders for this year. St. X at 1, Lakota West at 2 and Springfield at 3. Seems reasonable to me.

Access to entire article requires a subscription. Listed is the top ten.

1. St. X. 2. Lakota West 3. Springfield 4. St. Ed 5. Pick Central 6. Medina 7. Mentor 8. Wayne 9. Princeton 10. Elder

Last edited:

How interesting that cleveland.com and The Plain Dealer, with the worst coverage of hs sports in the state, would have an article this soon. The publications couldn't care less about hs, but have exclusively covered Ohio State football and sports to the exclusion of local teams. You'd have to go to the Beacon-Journal site if you want Friday night scores before Sunday. It's both comical and criminal.

Just a poll from Cleveland.com, but an interesting early view of the top contenders for this year. St. X at 1, Lakota West at 2 and Springfield at 3. Seems reasonable to me.

Access to entire article requires a subscription. Listed is the top ten.

1. St. X. 2. Lakota West 3. Springfield 4. St. Ed 5. Pick Central 6. Medina 7. Mentor 8. Wayne 9. Princeton 10. Elder

No Canton McKinley?

Pick Central is way too low their at least 3rd
Agreed. X and Springfield are tops, but I am not 100% sold on West yet. PC returns some great talent, but I think some of the stink of that title game blowout is stuck on them still. Would not be surprised to see them in the final 4 at the end of the year.

Lakota West and Springfield lost to St. X by 3 & 2 points respectively. St. X beat Pick Central by 39. So, you want Pick Central ahead of one of those teams and they both return a lot?
Using the Transitive property is faulty at best . Do you really think that Springfield beats PC by 5 TDS last year ! Or would this year ? That loss should count against them. . No doubt . PC Springfield or PC Lakota West would be very competitive games. Can’t automatically say that with a ST. X matchup because of last year . But looking at history in the X -PC series all but that one were competitive . .ST X is the favorite . Clearly . Springfield did a great job vs. X passing Attack . Much better than PC Obviously . You Can’t just pencil in results this year based in last year ., Sometimes bad nights happen to good teams .

Using the Transitive property is faulty at best . Do you really think that Springfield beats PC by 5 TDS last year ! Or would this year ? That loss should count against them. . No doubt . PC Springfield or PC Lakota West would be very competitive games. Can’t automatically say that with a ST. X matchup because of last year . But looking at history in the X -PC series all but that one were competitive . .ST X is the favorite . Clearly . Springfield did a great job vs. X passing Attack . Much better than PC Obviously . You Can’t just pencil in results this year based in last year ., Sometimes bad nights happen to good teams .
Perfectly said

PC just got off to a really bad start, X capitalized and it snowballed from there. It was a fluke. That can happen to anyone on any given night. No one thinks it would happen again regardless of who PC's opponent was. In the 2d half, they used a running clock where both teams pulled starters and started subbing to give the younger players some playing time.

Uh, I never said Springfield beats PC by 5 TD’s. I felt LW and Springfield were better teams than PC, simply stated. Also, happen to think they will better this year. Just an opinion.

PC was in the wrong defense vs ST X and didn’t adjust. IMO they should have used another DB or two.
They really weren’t challenged during the regular season so playing from behind wasn’t something they were able to do. They have a great coaching staff and I am sure they will learn from that game.
As far as who is better between Springfield, PC and LW? Time will tell they are all going to be really good.

I'll be there with my son.
Are you from Ignatius? I want to go but I doubt I can get a tix. They moved the games to the HS soccer stadium which has very limited seating. And, it shouldn't surprise anyone if we're back to covid social distancing and restricted crowd capacity in 3 weeks

Don't jinx it! With that said, I'm not sure Ignatius has seen the kind of speed SHS will bring. Can't simulate that in practice.
Ed’s has had speed in past years. Same with Glenville. Don’t sell the Ignatius program short. I realize Springfield is an up and comer with some talented classes but saying St. Ignatius hasn’t seen speed like Springfield is an insult to their schedule. And PDC was in no way implying that Springfield is going to struggle in this game.

Ed’s has had speed in past years. Same with Glenville. Don’t sell the Ignatius program short. I realize Springfield is an up and comer with some talented classes but saying St. Ignatius hasn’t seen speed like Springfield is an insult to their schedule. And PDC was in no way implying that Springfield is going to struggle in this game.
I admit I'm not familiar with Ignatius and their regular opponents in Cleveland. And I'm sure those schools have some players with great speed. But not with everyone which is what SHS will bring. Recently, SHS won the Dublin 7 on 7 which had alot of quality teams. People there said no one could match SHS's speed. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict the SHS offense will do what Alabama's offense did to Ohio St.

I admit I'm not familiar with Ignatius and their regular opponents in Cleveland. And I'm sure those schools have some players with great speed. But not with everyone which is what SHS will bring. Recently, SHS won the Dublin 7 on 7 which had alot of quality teams. People there said no one could match SHS's speed. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and predict the SHS offense will do what Alabama's offense did to Ohio St.
I understand you’re excited for Springfield. Much like Colerain vs Ed’s and Braxton Miller vs Ed’s, but just know that this isn’t the same Ignatius program of years past but they still gave Coach Kyle and his ability to make halftime adjustments and shut down an offense by doing their homework.

I know I’ll catch heat for this but I have been around in Yappi for a long time and it’s pretty common to see someone come in and make a lot of pregame talk and then just disappear after the results weren’t as expected. It may not happen, but I would be cautious with your lofty projections. Many teams with talented players have failed in the past when playing well coached and executing teams. Welcome to D1 playoffs.

Name a team in this ranking that returns 7 high D1 guys

Do you mean other than Lakota West? Because they do.

LW doesnt have the type of team that is going to beat the better teams by 5 TDs. It's also going to be extremely tough to score any points on them. Just like Bolden's old Colerain teams, and this might be the best defense he's ever had.

I understand you’re excited for Springfield. Much like Colerain vs Ed’s and Braxton Miller vs Ed’s, but just know that this isn’t the same Ignatius program of years past but they still gave Coach Kyle and his ability to make halftime adjustments and shut down an offense by doing their homework.

I know I’ll catch heat for this but I have been around in Yappi for a long time and it’s pretty common to see someone come in and make a lot of pregame talk and then just disappear after the results weren’t as expected. It may not happen, but I would be cautious with your lofty projections. Many teams with talented players have failed in the past when playing well coached and executing teams. Welcome to D1 playoffs.
Don't worry. I don't disappear. Ask around ...

I think the rankings are cool for right now. It's only a preseason ranking that will have no effect by week 1. I admit I was shock to see my Vikes over Elder

Are you from Ignatius? I want to go but I doubt I can get a tix. They moved the games to the HS soccer stadium which has very limited seating. And, it shouldn't surprise anyone if we're back to covid social distancing and restricted crowd capacity in 3 weeks
Why did they move the game to the soccer stadium?