Is Simone Biles a quitter?

Look man.. feelings got nothing to do with it.
different era has nothing to do with work ethic and sheer determination to be the best.
You put your heart and soul into your sport, if you dont come out on top so be it.
Can you look yourself in the mirror and say I gave all I could.
I think era’s does have something to do with it. Mental health is out in front now. It’s just another life progression. Example, marijuana! It was illegal but now for the most part it’s legal. People have businesses now. We can agree to disagree.

The sacrifices that most Olympians make are beyond the understanding of most mortals. To give up nearly everything in your childhood and early adult life to become one of the best on the planet for a moment in time that occurs once every 4 years is inconceivable. When you sleep, what you eat, multiple practices a day, 7-days a week for years. Even if you are literally the best that's ever been it only takes a false start, a bad turn, a slip, or the tiniest of errors at the wrong time to lose your chance. Some (like Biles) compete in sports where a mistake can have catastrophic effects on their health/lives. Most have families that completely reshape themselves to accommodate the costs, the travel and the time that is required for practices, coaches, lessons, competitions. If you fail, you feel like you've failed your teammates, coaches, and families. Most of these people aren't millionaires... the Olympics are not some sideshow where they get even more adulation like the pros that compete... instead, they are machines of unimaginable physical and mental toughness that give everything to hone their skills to the Olympic level. I personally can't imagine that the price they pay is worth it. All of that self-imposed pressure in addition to the pressure of representing your country?! I have nothing but respect for all of them.

Simones net worth is 6 million ?
She could get a new sponsor ship deal with the anti tobacco Industry and since quitting has become popular then she can urge people to quit smoking.

Anti anxiety drugs.

What else could she sponsor for now being the most popular quitterin American history?

The sacrifices that most Olympians make are beyond the understanding of most mortals. To give up nearly everything in your childhood and early adult life to become one of the best on the planet for a moment in time that occurs once every 4 years is inconceivable. When you sleep, what you eat, multiple practices a day, 7-days a week for years. Even if you are literally the best that's ever been it only takes a false start, a bad turn, a slip, or the tiniest of errors at the wrong time to lose your chance. Some (like Biles) compete in sports where a mistake can have catastrophic effects on their health/lives. Most have families that completely reshape themselves to accommodate the costs, the travel and the time that is required for practices, coaches, lessons, competitions. If you fail, you feel like you've failed your teammates, coaches, and families. Most of these people aren't millionaires... the Olympics are not some sideshow where they get even more adulation like the pros that compete... instead, they are machines of unimaginable physical and mental toughness that give everything to hone their skills to the Olympic level. I personally can't imagine that the price they pay is worth it. All of that self-imposed pressure in addition to the pressure of representing your country?! I have nothing but respect for all of them.
If it is inconceivable how are you able to understand it?

Last edited:
Well, I retired from coaching a few years back. But back then I would have definitely been upset! It’s a different day now and I am trying to evolve from my old school way of thinking. No question mental illness is an issue that is in the forefront. I’m trying to understand it!
she has not been diagnosed with mental illness. I mentioned this earlier and think it worth repeating. Calling this mental illness (until diagnosed such) would demean real illness. It's comparing a boo-boo to a spiral fracture. She had a self-inflicted boo-boo.

How dumb. Like mental health issues just started cropping up. They have been around as long as physical health has. People just have the courage to speak about it instead of continually being shamed into silence because of idiots like you.

Michal Phelps has spoken openly about depression and suicidal thoughts and drank the pain away resulting in 2 DUI’s. What’s the difference between Simone Biles and him? I think I know why her situation is easily dismissed and his is taken seriously.
And performed at GOAT level despite it. ?‍♂️

And you are a bitter old man who failed miserablly to accomplish much of anything in life other than to sit sucking social security and b*tch about a 24 year old woman who has achieved greatness. Human beings don’t get more pathetic than that.
Other than the ones who quit on their teammates ?‍♂️

Katie Ledecky won a silver in the 400 free and did not medal in the 200 free. She was the defending Olympic champion in both. She should have sucked it up and performed and done well. That is what world class athletes do.

She is mentally weak. You are only sticking up for her because she is white.
She did by winning the 1500 ?‍♂️

she has not been diagnosed with mental illness. I mentioned this earlier and think it worth repeating. Calling this mental illness (until diagnosed such) would demean real illness. It's comparing a boo-boo to a spiral fracture. She had a self-inflicted boo-boo.
Anxiety stress is all related mental health. She has been dealing with things for a long time. Starting with her mom giving her up for adoption. She probably never talked about it to be diagnosed.

Anxiety stress is all related mental health. She has been dealing with things for a long time. Starting with her mom giving her up for adoption. She probably never talked about it to be diagnosed.

I don't think this continually bringing up things that happened before she won all those golds and world championships under enormous pressure against more experienced competition really strengthen anyone's argument that she didn't quit when she is supoosedly physically and experientially far above her competition, has made every notoriety she could, and is rich with endorsements.

Again, EVERYONE has a story. She quit or worse, is trying to write a plotted out AMAZING "comeback" story. Her Olympics should be done. If she is suffering this dangerous "anxiety stress" this week there is nothing than can says it won't reoccur in the middle of a vault in the coming competition. You don't treat this with a pill and a sympathetic pat on the back. That's an insult to those the really suffer.

Yup and she could take the same path and make a mess of her life like he did. Obviously, you like the drugging/DUI option. Others do not.
Yeah because thats the only possible outcome. All high level athletes are drug addicts and alcoholics.

I don't think this continually bringing up things that happened before she won all those golds and world championships under enormous pressure against more experienced competition really strengthen anyone's argument that she didn't quit when she is supoosedly physically and experientially far above her competition, has made every notoriety she could, and is rich with endorsements.

Again, EVERYONE has a story. She quit or worse, is trying to write a plotted out AMAZING "comeback" story. Her Olympics should be done. If she is suffering this dangerous "anxiety stress" this week there is nothing than can says it won't reoccur in the middle of a vault in the coming competition. You don't treat this with a pill and a sympathetic pat on the back. That's an insult to those the really suffer.
Suggesting that she orchestrated this for profit is about the dumbest thing ever.

Yeah because thats the only possible outcome. All high level athletes are drug addicts and alcoholics.
There are man ways to make a mess of your life when you are overcome. Most of them are not as attractive as never getting to that point to begin with.

Right but yet she quit on the team…
Oh I forgot I’m not a Olympic champion in gymnastics so I cannot speak to this lack of resolve by a real Olympic champion.
Carry on….
You are right. You have no idea what it takes to be an Olympic champion. Maybe you should ask Simone Biles? She got lots of those Olympic championships.

For all you experts on Olympic greatness, what’s your take on athletes that just skip the whole thing altogether. Qualify for the team and just say no thanks. Just flip the bird at the rest of the team and the country from the get go and not even make an attempt?

I can remember many conversations with players telling them that if they were injured or ill that they have to tell us. Let the coaches and trainer make an evaluation and determine if the player can play or how much they should play and to make sure the backup is prepared to play as much as might be needed.

And that to hide the injury or illness is selfish and hurts the team.

But apparently that is wrong.

I can remember many conversations with players telling them that if they were injured or ill that they have to tell us. Let the coaches and trainer make an evaluation and determine if the player can play or how much they should play and to make sure the backup is prepared to play as much as might be needed.

And that to hide the injury or illness is selfish and hurts the team.

But apparently that is wrong.
Not wrong. Obvious.

For all you experts on Olympic greatness, what’s your take on athletes that just skip the whole thing altogether. Qualify for the team and just say no thanks. Just flip the bird at the rest of the team and the country from the get go and not even make an attempt?
It’s what Simone should have done, she knew before the Olympic trials she had lost her edge

How do you know what her medical history is?

It’s what Simone should have done, she knew before the Olympic trials she had lost her edge
How do you know what her level of confidence was prior to the trials? Should all athletes feeling not at their best, withdraw from trials or just her.

We can only take her at her word and believe what she says - she said she does not know where she is at in relation to the floor while performing her routines. Seems to be a pretty important sense required to be a gymnast.

She is not the 1st gymnast or diver to be overcome with this problem.

Is it a sign of some deeper more urgent/dangerous mental health problem? Who knows?

But if you don't know where you are at in relation to the ground then flipping a couple times and doing half turns is probably not a good idea.

What are the ‘twisties’ in gymnastics?​

The “twisties” in gymnastics refer to a phenomenon wherein an experienced athlete suddenly loses their sense of where their body is in space – a sense that is crucial to the sport and the sudden loss of which could result not just in an Olympic loss but in serious bodily injury or even paralysis.

We can only take her at her word and believe what she says - she said she does not know where she is at in relation to the floor while performing her routines. Seems to be a pretty important sense required to be a gymnast.

She is not the 1st gymnast or diver to be overcome with this problem.

Is it a sign of some deeper more urgent/dangerous mental health problem? Who knows?

But if you don't know where you are at in relation to the ground then flipping a couple times and doing half turns is probably not a good idea.

What are the ‘twisties’ in gymnastics?​

The “twisties” in gymnastics refer to a phenomenon wherein an experienced athlete suddenly loses their sense of where their body is in space – a sense that is crucial to the sport and the sudden loss of which could result not just in an Olympic loss but in serious bodily injury or even paralysis.
It’s a mental block much like the yips in golf. The greatest golfers in the world have dealt with it. Jack Nicklaus used to pit out of bunkers because he could not hit a sand shot. Tiger Woods had a year where he skulled chip shots. Bernard Langer struggled to make 3 foot putts and tried almost everything to overcome the mental block.

It’s common in many sports with elite athletes. A layperson often struggles to understand this especially those that have never been good at anything in their lives. This is why you see the entire community of elite athletes sympathetic to her challenge and most all the criticism is from folks who are pissed off or envious of others greatness.

Last edited: