2021 Boys Nationals

Coach #1

Do any Ohio teams have a shot to win there particular division? Vanguard 18’s/Vanguard 17’s? Op 18’s or 15’s? Attack’s 18’s/17/16?

It will be interesting to see how well Vanguard does in 18 open. I think they will surprise some teams. Attack 16s are in open so I don't see them doing well. If Vanguard could clean up the errors they have the firepower to knock off some teams in USA. Same could be said for Attack 18s and 17s in USA. Not sure what division OP 18s and 15s are playing in.

It will be interesting to see how well Vanguard does in 18 open. I think they will surprise some teams. Attack 16s are in open so I don't see them doing well. If Vanguard could clean up the errors they have the firepower to knock off some teams in USA. Same could be said for Attack 18s and 17s in USA. Not sure what division OP 18s and 15s are playing in.
Looks like Op 18’s is in USA and 15’s is open.

Love the question. IMO from greatest chance to least chance and this is not ranking best teams:
Vanguard 18s Open
Vanguard 16s USA
Attack 17/Vanguard 17 USA - I think they will finish within a pool of one another. Both teams did well in Indy with Attack winning.
Attack 18 USA
OP 18 USA
Attack 16 Open

Wildcard is Attack 18s. Always tough with graduated seniors. Lost to Vanguard 18-2s in Indy then forfeited. Don’t know who will show up.

Bonus 15s - 4 Ohio teams in open. I think OP will finish highest but they could all end up in same bracket.

I know Vanguard 16s is a reach. A few coaches in Indy said they were the toughest out with all new inexperienced middles at the tourney. So I’m running with it.

Wish I knew more about A2 teams as I think some of their teams showed well in Indy in the older age groups.

Tough day for 16s. Both lost set %tie breakers to fall out of gold/silver opportunity. Thought attack had it with win over Borenquin. Also thought vanguard had it after 2-1 start.

Congrats to Op 15 and Phoenix for staying in top half for now. Attack and vanguard out of consideration.

Day 1 results - 17/18
18 open - vanguard 2-1 loss to SAS in 3. Looking good to break pool.

18 USA-
Attack 1s - 3-0.
Attack 2s -0-3
OP - 2-1

17 USA -
Vanguard 1-2
Attack 0-3

Lots of scenarios in these 6 team pools.

Day 2 results -
18 Open - Vanguard 1st in pool winning tie breaker.

18 USA -
Attack 1s - 2nd in pool
Attack 2s -6th in pool
OP 1s- 3rd in pool

18 club-
Vanguard 2s- 2nd in pool
OP2s- 4th/last in pool-same pool as Van 2s

17 USA-
Attack 1s- 4th and moving on
Vanguard 1s- 5th lost in tie breaker. Caught some of their first match. Brutal passing and OH play. Same as Indy.

Big day for Van 18s. Can make Gold and be top 8 playing for championship.

Vanguard 18s lose a Heartbreaker in the crossover to Gold. Lose 1st set 39-37 and then lose 2nd 25-16 to fall to the silver bracket in open.

Attack 13’s lose in Gold semifinals. 3rd in the country. What a run.
Looks like Attack’s 17 survive in pool play and win the cross over to play in Gold. No other local teams advance to gold. I’d say over all OHIO had a pretty good showing.

Last edited:
Notable Finishes from Ohio teams at Nationals:

Vanguard 18 Webb - 10th Overall 18 Open

Attack 18 Black - 11th Overall 18 USA

Attack 17 Black - 2nd Overall 17 USA
A2 17 Red - 13th Overall 17 USA

Attack 17 Gold - 8th Overall 17 Club

Phoenix 15 Gold - 17th Overall 15 Open

A2 15 Red - 15th Overall 15 Club

Attack 14 Black - 3rd Overall 14 Club
A2 14 Red - 11th Overall 14 Club
EVC 14-1 - 115th Overall 14 Club

Attack 13 Black - 3rd Overall 13 Club

Great run by Vanguard 18s. That team was an all time great for Ohio. Great finish by Attack 17s in USA. After an 0-3 start on the 1st day, made it all the way to the finals 20-25, 23-25. Kind of a "what might have been" ending. They were up midway through the 1st set when their middle went down with an ankle injury. Already playing without their DS, it was to much to overcome. Still a great run!

Some very strong showings from Ohio club teams. Leading the pack was definitely Vanguard 18-1, followed by Cinci Attack 17-1, then you have Cinci Attack 18-1, Vanguard 18-2, OP 15-1 with good finishes.

Excited for next year. I think Cinci Attack 18's will be strong and will be interested to see what the Vanguard 18's looks like. Pretty disappointing results at tournaments this year, but adding a couple kids to the 17-1 group from this year can only help

I almost forgot to shoutout Attack 13's. Finishing 3rd in the only division offered is very impressive and will give that age group a strong starting point going forward

Some very strong showings from Ohio club teams. Leading the pack was definitely Vanguard 18-1, followed by Cinci Attack 17-1, then you have Cinci Attack 18-1, Vanguard 18-2, OP 15-1 with good finishes.

Excited for next year. I think Cinci Attack 18's will be strong and will be interested to see what the Vanguard 18's looks like. Pretty disappointing results at tournaments this year, but adding a couple kids to the 17-1 group from this year can only help

I almost forgot to shoutout Attack 13's. Finishing 3rd in the only division offered is very impressive and will give that age group a strong starting point going forward
Vanguard 17s had a lot of flash but very little consistency. Will be interesting to see if that team even stays together since there are kids from all over.