2021 Elder Football

Also, for anyone who laughs about Freshman Recruiting rankings, I refer you to this:

And ND isn’t the only program offering rising Sophs. It’s not unusual at this point. So the kid coming into Elder as a Nationally ranked LB might not see Varsity this yr, but there’s merit in him being ranked so highly.

Whatever happened to that kid from Massilon/Hoban (?) who had block O tattooed then didn't go to OSU?

Whatever happened to that kid from Massilon/Hoban (?) who had block O tattooed then didn't go to OSU?
No, he ended up going somewhere though. His brother was recruited as a TE to Bama.

And most players aren’t going to get D1 offers going into their Soph yr, I’m just saying it’s not so crazy to believe that there’s some legitimacy in these rankings.

Also, for anyone who laughs about Freshman Recruiting rankings, I refer you to this:

And ND isn’t the only program offering rising Sophs. It’s not unusual at this point. So the kid coming into Elder as a Nationally ranked LB might not see Varsity this yr, but there’s merit in him being ranked so highly.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that his grandpa is Lloyd Carr.

I'm sure it doesn't hurt that his grandpa is Lloyd Carr.
That’s just one example. There’s dozens of others who got offers with the lifting of the dead period. And while some kids with high rankings don’t pan out, there are others who meet or exceed the hype.

No, he ended up going somewhere though. His brother was recruited as a TE to Bama.

And most players aren’t going to get D1 offers going into their Soph yr, I’m just saying it’s not so crazy to believe that there’s some legitimacy in these rankings.

Was just curious.

Sorry if I said this already but I’m bored, the Special Teams, especially Punting has to be better compared to last year. I fully understand why STs were an issue last year with the limited practice time, but with a return to a normal schedule, those issues need to be corrected.

With the way football has shifted, STs are more critical than ever. Defenses are more “bend but don’t break” and that makes field position huge. I honestly believe a great Punter who can pin opposing Offenses deep has more of an impact than a great Kicker, at least in HS. Making the other team’s Offense start at the 15 instead of 25 is huge.

Sorry if I said this already but I’m bored, the Special Teams, especially Punting has to be better compared to last year. I fully understand why STs were an issue last year with the limited practice time, but with a return to a normal schedule, those issues need to be corrected.

With the way football has shifted, STs are more critical than ever. Defenses are more “bend but don’t break” and that makes field position huge. I honestly believe a great Punter who can pin opposing Offenses deep has more of an impact than a great Kicker, at least in HS. Making the other team’s Offense start at the 15 instead of 25 is huge.
I agree in regards to punting, but having a good kicker is extremely important as well. Kickoffs in the endzone can shift field position just as much as a good punt. Also it's important to have a kicker than can make all their xp's, plus 25-30 yards and in on FGs.

I agree in regards to punting, but having a good kicker is extremely important as well. Kickoffs in the endzone can shift field position just as much as a good punt. Also it's important to have a kicker than can make all their xp's, plus 25-30 yards and in on FGs.
That too, I meant it’s less important having a K who can hit 40+ yard kicks.

That I agree with. Most of the time in HS that's going to be 4-down territory unless you have the kid from St Ignatius from a few years back.
I’m willing to bet Offenses score TDs on a more frequent basis on drives following punts where the opposing offense is pinned deep, than 40+ yard FGs are made.

This is a situation that’s unique to HS that ignores conventional Football wisdom.

Who are the projected punter? Kicker? I seem to remember Ben Hambleton even punting last year at times??
Ramsey & Hambleton split Punting responsibilities. I think Hambleton was used in a more traditional punting role where Ramsey had the option to run or punt rugby style.

I don’t think Elder will have anyone who can flip the field, but the long snaps have to be completed. They were hurt multiple times last year from errant snaps the caused whomever was punting to scramble ending up with a poor punt.

What do we know about the possible depth chart?

QB Hambelton
RB Ramsey
RB Paff? Flowers?
OL
OL
C
OL Bass
OL James
TE Kirch / Browne?
WR Harp
WR
WR

DL Ginn?
DL
DL
LB Spinney
LB
LB
LB
DB
DB
DB Kammerer
DB Thomas

Lb Paff. He played/started a lot last yr so you can pencil him in at one of the Lb's.

Oline Singler started last yr as well and should be their Center.

Freeman as the NT.

I guess a lot can happen over the next couple of months once they actually put pads on.

There were 27 juniors/ rising seniors on the team last year. I am guessing most of those kids are coming back. There will be more jrs on the team than srs I would think this yr.

QB Hambelton
RB Ramsey
RB Paff? Flowers?
OL
OL
C
OL Bass
OL James
TE Kirch / Browne?
WR Harp
WR
WR

DL Ginn?
DL
DL
LB Spinney
LB
LB
LB
DB
DB
DB Kammerer
DB Thomas
Kirch, Flowers, Paff, and Ramsey might play both ways a decent amount.

Kirch, Flowers, Paff, and Ramsey might play both ways a decent amount.

I could see Flowers and Paff playing a little at RB and defense, but I don't think you can afford to play Ramsey at all on defense. They ask too much of him on offense to get much production from him on defense. What does Kirch play on defense?

QB Hambelton
RB Ramsey
RB Paff? Flowers?
OL
OL
C
OL Bass
OL James
TE Kirch / Browne?
WR Harp
WR
WR

DL Ginn?
DL
DL
LB Spinney
LB
LB
LB
DB
DB
DB Kammerer
DB Thomas
My guess for oline these 5 and the Oak Hills transfer Schorsch will be in the mix who is a sophomore.
OL James
OL Monk
OL Conners
OL Singler
OL Bass

At RB, I think you have a combination of Flowers and Summers with Paff playing primarily defense. It would be nice to keep Flowers primarily defense also. The sophomore Meier can play RB if he has gotten bigger in the offseason.

I think you can list Ramsey as WR/RB/QB who will play everywhere and get the ball the majority of the snaps. Outside of Harp, Kirsch, and Browne they have several other wide receivers that can play, but not standouts I don't think.

I hope they give junior Justin Re a good look, because he might be the fastest kid on the team. They need speed like that.

I could see Flowers and Paff playing a little at RB and defense, but I don't think you can afford to play Ramsey at all on defense. They ask too much of him on offense to get much production from him on defense. What does Kirch play on defense?
Kirch at DE. I do not believe Ramsey will play more on D than he did at the end of last year.

Probably situational then as a pass rusher on 3rd down.
I don’t think anything is set, just some ideas being kicked around. BTW, I took heat for saying this years ago but it always made a lot of sense to get your best athletes in the game. The people opposed to this always assumed playing both ways meant the player had to play full time on both sides, which was never the case.

My guess for oline these 5 and the Oak Hills transfer Schorsch will be in the mix who is a sophomore.
OL James
OL Monk
OL Conners
OL Singler
OL Bass

At RB, I think you have a combination of Flowers and Summers with Paff playing primarily defense. It would be nice to keep Flowers primarily defense also. The sophomore Meier can play RB if he has gotten bigger in the offseason.

I think you can list Ramsey as WR/RB/QB who will play everywhere and get the ball the majority of the snaps. Outside of Harp, Kirsch, and Browne they have several other wide receivers that can play, but not standouts I don't think.

I hope they give junior Justin Re a good look, because he might be the fastest kid on the team. They need speed like that.
The big question for the OL is who they play at Tackle. Right now, Schorsch is the only candidate in the mix that’s really got the height to play Tackle. Bass, James, and Monk are really built like interior OL, unless one of them grew a bit since last year.

The big question for the OL is who they play at Tackle. Right now, Schorsch is the only candidate in the mix that’s really got the height to play Tackle. Bass, James, and Monk are really built like interior OL, unless one of them grew a bit since last year.

I forgot about Westerkamp. I think they're trying to make a tackle out of him. He has the tackle height. Unfortunately, he didn't get many reps last year. Juniors who will be contributing as seniors but not getting playing time as juniors is a big development issue.

Varsity B games.

An idea I have is for the GCL to get together to schedule Varsity B games vs. each other. This would be for Varsity backups(normally juniors and some seniors) who do not get any reps in JV games and do not get any reps in Varsity games. They are essentially practice only players with a few making special teams. The thing is so many of these juniors are good players who will be getting substantial playing time as seniors yet they have a whole season of development wasted sitting on the bench getting 0 or very few game reps.

It would be beneficial for the GCL schools to schedule Varsity B games vs. each other so 3 total per team. Example
Elder vs. St. Xavier all levels
Wednesday: Freshman game
Thursday: Freshman B game
Friday: Varsity Game
Saturday: 10am JV Game 12pm Varsity B game

The way the GCL teams have to schedule they rarely get cupcake games where backups get a lot of playing time. Think the old West Hi and Oak Hills games. Every game now being competitive is wasting a whole season of development for some really good junior players who are sitting the bench, and it could also get some seniors who are backups some deserved game reps. Coaches might even use the B game as a chance to give a younger coach the opportunity to call the offense or defense. You can think of a lot of good to come out of it. I'm not sure what OHSAA rules are in place against something like this though.

I forgot about Westerkamp. I think they're trying to make a tackle out of him. He has the tackle height. Unfortunately, he didn't get many reps last year. Juniors who will be contributing as seniors but not getting playing time as juniors is a big development issue
Big development issue for who? The player or Elder or in general? The best players play, period. Development for guys who don't get snaps on Friday nights happen in the off-season and during practice against those guys who are getting reps.