McKinley High School football head coach Marcus Wattley, seven assistant coaches suspended

I guess in this day and age Bobby Knight would not have made it through one game without being fired.

If you are fine with your kid's religious beliefs being violated while being hazed in front of all their teammates, maybe you should question your judgement as a parent. There are plenty of well adjusted adults who didn't get hazed growing up, having your religious beliefs violated and getting humiliated in front of your high school team mates is not necessary for personal growth. But I guess you had a garbage childhood so everyone else should be subjected to the same or worse.
I went to parochial school name Purcell Marion. Our coach was a Bobby knight clone he would hollar in ur face, spit would come out his mouth when doing so & it would find its way on you. He would yell obscenities at us. While the other kids worked hard & you didn't. He would force you to watch your team workout. He was a Great Man who instilled discipline in us & let's say we all turned out just fine. You entitled parents are the issue with sports. You are the same 1s who bash the private schools and say it's unfair well if you saw how the brothers & priest talk to the students you all would call the police. Now you definitely couldn't deal with the coaches at privates who basically do & say what they please. And you wonder why they win a lot more because their kids are disciplined and cam take the coach jumping down they back unlike the kid in this situation.

Everyone keeps talking about how soft kids are. They also keep talking about coaches yelling.

Coaches will always yell. Every generation calls younger generations soft. Nothing new.

The issue is a coach violating a religion, that's first and foremost. Whether or not the kid or the family is making a big deal is irrelevant, it violates literally every school's policies regarding those matters. That is it, period. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes, this coach won himself and staff a non-renewal prize.

Also, can anyone explain to me who is defending these actions if you are ok with a coach feeding the player junk food as punishment? The whole point of a coach is to better the athlete, how does pizza or chicken nuggets accomplish that goal?

Last edited:
I went to parochial school name Purcell Marion. Our coach was a Bobby knight clone he would hollar in ur face, spit would come out his mouth when doing so & it would find its way on you. He would yell obscenities at us. While the other kids worked hard & you didn't. He would force you to watch your team workout. He was a Great Man who instilled discipline in us & let's say we all turned out just fine. You entitled parents are the issue with sports. You are the same 1s who bash the private schools and say it's unfair well if you saw how the brothers & priest talk to the students you all would call the police. Now you definitely couldn't deal with the coaches at privates who basically do & say what they please. And you wonder why they win a lot more because their kids are disciplined and cam take the coach jumping down they back unlike the kid in this situation.
You ever hear of Stockholm Syndrome?

He didn’t overstep….he broke the rules. That’s why he got suspended the school got out on probation. Love how the story is always about the player you reference but you forget (selective memory)….and never talk about the fact there were multiple players involved in the violation. I’m sure he was “helping” those kids as well….lol.

If Wattley humiliated the kid why is he continuing to text the coach…and why isn’t the player of the family filing a law suit? I think we know the answer to that.
The parents are 100% moving forward with the lawsuit, the State of Ohio is looking into criminal charges, and the family's lawyer has even asked the feds to look into a hate crimes indictment.

What planet are you living on?

I would not bet against it, just that it is not a slam dunk that he loses the License ... my bet that ends up on a D3 college staff somewhere in the future ... and about half the assistants end up coaching HS again, just at more obscure schools.

I saw much of the same things growing up and playing sports....yelling, swearing, running laps, "bull in the ring...lol"...one on one drills to prove a point...etc. It still goes on today...if thats the only things that took place that day, we wouldnt have this thread.

If you are fine with your kid's religious beliefs being violated while being hazed in front of all their teammates, maybe you should question your judgement as a parent. There are plenty of well adjusted adults who didn't get hazed growing up, having your religious beliefs violated and getting humiliated in front of your high school team mates is not necessary for personal growth. But I guess you had a garbage childhood so everyone else should be subjected to the same or worse.
Religious beliefs my . I'm not falling for that bs. It's against the LAW to smoke weed but the kid was still doing it. Maybe he ate the pizza because he had the munchies. Maybe if the parents were trying to discipline their kid the way they are pursuing a lawsuit, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 6'7 300 pounder smoking his Division 1 scholarship away but that's fine with you guys because it opens the door for your child huh. Kid career is over. Will his parents sue when other kids turn their back on him or when they single him out for this incident. My son couldn't hang around this kid and I would tell him to watch everything he sd around him because he may be looking to take you down.

My point compared to Moore is the hypocrisy of that fan base. Many other programs have fired their coach for bringing that shame/embarrassment to their school..but they love their cheater.

Time will tell what the ODE will do. If his permit is not revoked (and I don’t think it will be) he will coach again. Keith Dambrot….Tom Lombardo…all let go by their schools in a rush to judgement and have landed on their feet just fine
Hoban HC got into trouble for "Recruiting" a few years back you still feel the same way? Or are you just a grumpy old washer man that hates Massillon??

I guess in this day and age Bobby Knight would not have made it through one game without being fired.
Please tell me when has somebody been forced to eat a pizza as a punishment please tell me I'll wait? Do I agree that some parents are tooooooo damn soft with they kids yes I do but to force food as a punishment is dumb as all hell they got caught end of story they tried to embarrass a 17 year old kid now its they turn ?? simple if they was mad because they made him run then ok I'll be on your side but they made eat food as a punishment that is stupid

Another absolute mental pretzel twist here.

Moore went out of his way and overstepped trying to help a player who's about to go in the 1st round of the 22 Draft. I've heard plenty of criticism about Moore but EVERYONE in Massillon recognizes he cares about his players far more than his predecessors.

Wattley just put a kid through humiliation in front of all his peers that sent him to therapy--all while tanking his career and opening CCS up to a multitude of lawsuits.

Another ends justify the means Massillon poster.
No pretzel twisting needed at all.
Cheating, suspension, probation are all facts.
It’s ok because it’s your team and Blind Side 2:BAF.
Other coaches having kids living in the basement are wrong though.
We all see how it is with you guys.

Religious beliefs my . I'm not falling for that bs. It's against the LAW to smoke weed but the kid was still doing it. Maybe he ate the pizza because he had the munchies. Maybe if the parents were trying to discipline their kid the way they are pursuing a lawsuit, we wouldn't be having this conversation. 6'7 300 pounder smoking his Division 1 scholarship away but that's fine with you guys because it opens the door for your child huh. Kid career is over. Will his parents sue when other kids turn their back on him or when they single him out for this incident. My son couldn't hang around this kid and I would tell him to watch everything he sd around him because he may be looking to take you down.

You can feel how you do but vilifying a minor is pretty misguided. He didn't get Whatley fired. Other schools including yours would accept him with open arms.

Hoban HC got into trouble for "Recruiting" a few years back you still feel the same way? Or are you just a grumpy old washer man that hates Massillon??
I do feel the same way….you can go back and look at my posts. Any coach that gets his or her school put on probation should be fired. Any school with integrity does that. Plenty of examples I can provide. Please remember…the violation involved more than one athlete.

Another absolute mental pretzel twist here.

Moore went out of his way and overstepped trying to help a player who's about to go in the 1st round of the 22 Draft. I've heard plenty of criticism about Moore but EVERYONE in Massillon recognizes he cares about his players far more than his predecessors.

Wattley just put a kid through humiliation in front of all his peers that sent him to therapy--all while tanking his career and opening CCS up to a multitude of lawsuits.
So Moore is better than Wattley but also coach in two completely different environments, we get that. However, if Moore made a mistake similar to this there isn't a person on this forum from Massillon that would man up to it, period. Just like Munford, everyone in Massillon defends it to the hilt and everyone else sees it for what it was. And please don't put a feather in your cap for developing the kid and making him a first round pick, he played maybe 7 games for you and would have played more had he stayed at LaSalle and still been a major D1 pick.

Again, nothing this kid has done--nor anything ANY kid has done--justifies hazing. It does not belong in sports or any organization.

Sorry you're too myopic to understand the difference between acceptable punishments and hazing.

Kids wouldn't accept him, because our kids are coached hard. You ever heard of Myian Williams. I can tell you Parker coached him very hard & held him accountable and now he is @ ohio state looking to have a great sophomore year. Take a trip to OSU & ask him yourself. This kid & parents are locker room cancers and you don't want them around your program. I've heard coaches call kids names that are demeaning. Do they go back to their parents & say he sd YOU GUYS ARENT AS DUMB AS I THOUGHT YOU WERE. IVE HEARD THAT 1,000 TIMES & AT PRIVATE SCHOOLS ITS WORSE & THOSE IDEOLOGY (RELIGION) TEACHERS HAVE THE WORST MOUTHS. WE HAD A BROTHER BY THE NAME OF BROTHER GENE AND HE WAS THE AD TOO. HE WOULD CALL US EVERY NAME BUT THE CHILD OF GOD. BUT YOU ALL SAY THEY HAVE AN UNFAIR ADVANTAGE, YES THEIR KIDS CAN DISTINGUISH THE MESSAGE FROM THE DELIVERY. And for you Massillon folks who are talking about this, keep that same energy when your fans were spitting and yelling obscenities at Lasalle 2 yrs ago in the state championship game. They didn't cry they just went out & kicked !

Aww don't use him, I LIKE Myian Williams and I don't want to think you could make him eat something.

I sure as hell wouldn't do it. As a hs kid, maybe, that's alot of pressure, but I would hope not!!! I've done every other punishment - never a problem. Including the military. And even they've banned hazing, and stipulate acceptable punishments. And they are ALOT harder than eating pizza trust me. They just don't F with your mind anymore.

So Moore is better than Wattley but also coach in two completely different environments, we get that. However, if Moore made a mistake similar to this there isn't a person on this forum from Massillon that would man up to it, period. Just like Munford, everyone in Massillon defends it to the hilt and everyone else sees it for what it was. And please don't put a feather in your cap for developing the kid and making him a first round pick, he played maybe 7 games for you and would have played more had he stayed at LaSalle and still been a major D1 pick.
Au contraire, my friend. I was vehement about Munford not playing. And I'm sure Mackinbiner can find the posts. He knows what people posted 10 years ago. LOL.

Au contraire, my friend. I was vehement about Munford not playing. And I'm sure Mackinbiner can find the posts. He knows what people posted 10 years ago. LOL.
If this season at McKinley goes ok, I think it’s going to be very hard to take the head coaching reins out of Hall’s hands. He knows this is his big audition.?

So it’s obvious you think someone would falsely claim to be the whistle blower. Through his attorney. Knowing that those involved know exactly who the whistle blower is. Do you really expect people to take anything you say seriously knowing that your thought process works in such a manner?
I don't ask anyone to take the things I say serious. But I'll also put my Yappi handle on the line that I know more about the law than you do

I wish the coach well but I also I know this sealed the deal from an outstanding bball player not continuing his education at McKinley. This has an overall effect on the entire sports program.