2021 Elder Volleyball

The Panthers bounced back to defeat Hilliard Darby on Saturday in 3. Elder should still be in the top 2 for seeding come today's Tournament draw. With Moeller and Elder surging, and X struggling I think you'll see Moeller and Elder 1-2, with X and getting to choose their bracket - if Elder is South #2, then I believe X will choose their side.

From the unsophisticated vball fan POV, it felt like Elder gave this game away with all the botched serves.
Pretty much. To come back from such a huge deficit in game four only to miss 4 serves at the end of the game was tough to watch. Moeller is too good of an offensive team to just give them the ball. Good news is that match didnt really 'matter'. I say that loosely, but in all reality, they have a few days to rest up and prepare for the tournament.

Still a great season, finishing 20-3 and a share of the GCL title.

JVA finishes up their season at 18-3 and finishes 2nd in the GCL

JVB finishes up their season at 16-6 and finishes 2nd in the GCL

Elder did themselves no favors by squandering their 2-1 lead against Moeller Friday. They were seeded 2nd in the South which comes with a couple negatives:
-sitting at #3 X had an easy choice to jump in with Elder who they've beaten twice, should both Elder and X win their Regional Semifinal Match - which they should both do against inferior opponents - they'll see themselves matched up in the nightcap at Princeton Saturday 5/29.
-South #2 matches up with West #1 in the State Quarterfinals, which in all likelihood will be Centerville, they took X to 5 earlier this season.
-South #2 is also on the same side of the state bracket as the East #1, which is likely to have Olentangy Liberty fill that spot

Elder did themselves no favors by squandering their 2-1 lead against Moeller Friday. They were seeded 2nd in the South which comes with a couple negatives:
-sitting at #3 X had an easy choice to jump in with Elder who they've beaten twice, should both Elder and X win their Regional Semifinal Match - which they should both do against inferior opponents - they'll see themselves matched up in the nightcap at Princeton Saturday 5/29.
-South #2 matches up with West #1 in the State Quarterfinals, which in all likelihood will be Centerville, they took X to 5 earlier this season.
-South #2 is also on the same side of the state bracket as the East #1, which is likely to have Olentangy Liberty fill that spot
I think that even with #1, X would have gone Elder's way.

West #1 will be Beavercreek, a formidable opponent, but Elder has gone 2-0 against them this season.

I dont know much about Olentangy Liberty and they do not have any common opponents. Their record is there at 17-3 with losses against Hilliard Bradley (2) and Olentangy Orange.

I think that even with #1, X would have gone Elder's way.

West #1 will be Beavercreek, a formidable opponent, but Elder has gone 2-0 against them this season.

I dont know much about Olentangy Liberty and they do not have any common opponents. Their record is there at 17-3 with losses against Hilliard Bradley (2) and Olentangy Orange.
I agree. I think X would have chose Elder regardless, however an Elder win could have dropped Moeller to #3 and then it would have been their choice.

Surprised to hear Beavercreek will be #1 coming out of the West, that's welcome news for Elder as they've swept the Beavers twice.

The East is way down, but Liberty participated in the Elite and though they finished in the bottom they took Moeller to 5 in the 1st Round.

I agree. I think X would have chose Elder regardless, however an Elder win could have dropped Moeller to #3 and then it would have been their choice.

Surprised to hear Beavercreek will be #1 coming out of the West, that's welcome news for Elder as they've swept the Beavers twice.

The East is way down, but Liberty participated in the Elite and though they finished in the bottom they took Moeller to 5 in the 1st Round.
That was Olentangy Orange.

There's too many Olentangy schools to keep track of haha

That was Olentangy Orange.

There's too many Olentangy schools to keep track of haha
Ain't that the truth. So Orange is #4 in the East then, wonder how they fared against the top 2 seeds in the East, Liberty and Bradley, if they played at all.

Ain't that the truth. So Orange is #4 in the East then, wonder how they fared against the top 2 seeds in the East, Liberty and Bradley, if they played at all.
Orange has played both:

Lost to Liberty 25-9, 22-25, 25-23, 25-14
Beat Liberty 25-19, 25-22, 18-25, 23-25, 15-11
Beat Bradley 25-22, 25-19, 25-21

Honestly, the east is a toss up. Everyone has played each other multiple times and it seems that there is no consistency with the winners. Everyone has beat everyone at some point in the season. The East is the most even Region in the state IMO. I can see Liberty, Darby, Gahanna Lincoln or Thomas Worthington coming out of E1 and Bradley, Orange or Dublin Jerome coming out of E2.

A lot of these teams have that one stud who, if he has a bad game, can bring that team down hard. Should be fun to watch the East this year.

Congratulations to the following for their season awards:

Drew Maune
South Region - 1st Team
GCL - 1st Team

Ben Albers
South Region - 2nd Team
GCL - 1st Team

Mitchell Meyer
South Region - Honorable Mention
GCL - 2nd Team

Joey Bianco
GCL - 2nd Team

Panthers with the sweep tonight of Mason, 25-13, 25-15, 25-8. Elder advances to the Regional Final Saturday 5/29, 7pm at Princeton High School against St Xavier.

E wins in 5 over X. What an amazing game. It felt like X lead 90% of the entire match, but Elder kept clawing away at their leads and somehow came away with a win.

4 of the 5 sets were relatively tight but X dominated Elder in the 4th set. I think it was 25-13? TBH, I thought Elder was done bc X had gotten out to early leads in every other set. I think X even got up 10-7 in the 5th set before Elder went on a run to tie and eventually take the lead. This team has brass balls.

4 of the 5 sets were relatively tight but X dominated Elder in the 4th set. I think it was 25-13? TBH, I thought Elder was done bc X had gotten out to early leads in every other set. I think X even got up 10-7 in the 5th set before Elder went on a run to tie and eventually take the lead. This team has brass balls.
100%. The Elder squad played from behind almost the whole match but would not give up. Hats off to the Bombers, as it was a neck and neck game the whole match.

What a great turnaround this Elder team had from the first match against St X until now. Congratulations to the Regional Champions! On to State!

Drew Maune
South Region - 1st Team
GCL - 1st Team

Ben Albers
South Region - 2nd Team
GCL - 1st Team

Mitchell Meyer
GCL - 2nd Team

Joey Bianco
GCL - 2nd Team
All-State recognition to add:
Drew Maune - 1st Team

Ben Albers - Honorable Mention

Drew Maune
South Region - 1st Team
GCL - 1st Team

Ben Albers
South Region - 2nd Team
GCL - 1st Team

Mitchell Meyer
GCL - 2nd Team

Joey Bianco
GCL - 2nd Team
Congratulations to All.

Any idea how to purchase tickects and will they be available at the door. My daughter is asking me to take her.
Word on the street is the tickets will be made public tomorrow. Apparently they are only allotting a certain amount of tickets per match, so there is a chance that the public may be SOL if the teams use up all the tickets before they go public... Seems absurd to me, seeing as the Regional Finals was nearly full capacity.

They are offering the live stream too, if that is any consolation.

Word on the street is the tickets will be made public tomorrow. Apparently they are only allotting a certain amount of tickets per match, so there is a chance that the public may be SOL if the teams use up all the tickets before they go public... Seems absurd to me, seeing as the Regional Finals was nearly full capacity.

They are offering the live stream too, if that is any consolation.
Interesting. Are they being sold at the school or only online? I know for Regionals you had to buy online, but you could buy them as you were standing there to get in. Shame they're limiting capacity per match, have to wonder if that will deter people from making the trip especially on Sunday as the Semifinals and Finals should have bigger crowds.

Last edited:
Interesting. Are they being sold at the school or only online? I know for Regionals you had to buy online, but you could buy them as you were standing there to get in. Shame they're limiting capacity per match, have to wonder if that will deter people from making the trip especially on Sunday as the Semifinals and Finals should have bigger crowds.

Looks like all tickets will need to be purchased online, and you are right.. Its a shame they are limiting things still. Princeton was a phenomenal atmosphere last Saturday and we will likely not see that this weekend.

Its a shame they are limiting things still. Princeton was a phenomenal atmosphere last Saturday and we will likely not see that this weekend.
Local health departments in the Columbus area have always been more restrictive than here in the Cincinnati area. There was a point last summer where Fairfield county's health department recommended that all schools be remote and that no sports, band, or other extracurriculars happen.