Another Weekend Of Youth Basketball.... Another Weekend Of Fights

There was an incident in Indy last month (Girls Event?) or so where an Official Assaulted a fan or Coach then got beat down pretty good?
Yep....

A coach got whacked in the first quarter, so she took her team off the court. The official for some stupid reason kept arguing with another coach. When that argument ended a parent from that team stuck a phone in the official's face taunting him. The official made stupid move #2 by knocking the phone out of the parent's hand.... All hell broke loose after that, including a player attacking said official.

Helped a college assigner run his camp this past weekend. Sunday morning a game between two teams ended with both teams and their fans spilling onto the court in an all-out brawl.

Tournament director immediately kicked both teams out of the event – no refunds. Exactly the way it should be and it’s a shame more of his counterparts don’t have the balls to do what he did.

I told the assigner he should do all his camps at events run by this TD’s organization.

Last edited:
Yep....

A coach got whacked in the first quarter, so she took her team off the court. The official for some stupid reason kept arguing with another coach. When that argument ended a parent from that team stuck a phone in the official's face taunting him. The official made stupid move #2 by knocking the phone out of the parent's hand.... All hell broke loose after that, including a player attacking said official.
A great reminder for officials why we should be very selective in choosing what "street ball" games we work in the offseason. It's not just coaches, parents, and TDs who can make life miserable - your partners can, too.

Helped a college assigner run his camp this past weekend. Sunday morning a game between two teams ended with both teams and their fans spilling onto the court in an all-out brawl.

Tournament director immediately kicked both teams out of the event – no refunds. Exactly the way it should be and it’s a shame more of his counterparts don’t have the balls to do with he did.

I told the assigner he should do all his camps at events run by this TD’s organization.
These are the stories that should get reported as part of the mainstream. Good for that director. Unfortunately, more people click on the chaos / violence.

both of these videos........just unreal. the AA one was the players from the other team just going after him. ridiculous. when the adults start joining in like that 2nd video it's even worse. sad that these things happen.

This one happened last weekend in North Augusta, SC. :mad:

omg. i mean, how the old ref just steps the heck back to let it all happen (which was smart when the first melee happened) but then props to him for getting in between two dudes later who still wouldn't stop.

those teams should just be banned from competition all together when that happens and have to forfeit all their tournament fees.

dude on the white team talks smack to the dude on the black team and he throws the ball at him. just stupid.

and then the coaches and adults don't help. not sure if the guy in the blue shirt was the coach but if he was he escalated the whole thing even more.

unreal.

omg. i mean, how the old ref just steps the heck back to let it all happen (which was smart when the first melee happened) but then props to him for getting in between two dudes later who still wouldn't stop.

those teams should just be banned from competition all together when that happens and have to forfeit all their tournament fees.

dude on the white team talks smack to the dude on the black team and he throws the ball at him. just stupid.

and then the coaches and adults don't help. not sure if the guy in the blue shirt was the coach but if he was he escalated the whole thing even more.

unreal.
Guy in the blue shirt was a parent that punched a kid. He was arrested.

The white haired ref did the right thing at first by stepping back and watching..... (I'm getting to an open area and looking for doors)

Then he makes a stupid move by getting involved..... that's how you get sucker punched.

When the fools start throwing punches.... let them throw punches.... it's not our job to break up fights.

It is looking like this thread will turn into violence at youth sporting event.
Yep.... next up...Little League Softball

My kids and nephews/neices are all out of school so I really have no skin in the game any longer...I'm just a fan of high school sports and attend regularly.....however, I'm beginning to reconsider...sound paranoid but you just don't know anymore...freaking crazy

My kids and nephews/neices are all out of school so I really have no skin in the game any longer...I'm just a fan of high school sports and attend regularly.....however, I'm beginning to reconsider...sound paranoid but you just don't know anymore...freaking crazy
Yes. This type of violence is not isolated to a specific region or group of people. Churches, malls, softball diamonds...it is a mess. Too many of our young people witness too many traumatic events. It will just get worse if folks cannot put their minds together and get on the same page for our youth. The more acceptable these incidents become, the more we will see the violence multiply by 2025 and beyond. I do not think you sound paranoid.

Guy in the blue shirt was a parent that punched a kid. He was arrested.

The white haired ref did the right thing at first by stepping back and watching..... (I'm getting to an open area and looking for doors)

Then he makes a stupid move by getting involved..... that's how you get sucker punched.

When the fools start throwing punches.... let them throw punches.... it's not our job to break up fights.
If I were that official, I would have immediately called the cops or had someone else do it and then stood back until the cavalry arrived.

Past 5 years I have been surprised how many of the MOM's have been psycho and kicked out of games!

Parents are the worst fans.
As just a step parent I sit back in amazement at how clouded most parents views are with what goes on during a game with the officials.

Unfortunately they don't get kicked out enough. I think officials should set the tone early, T up a coach and make them sit, T up a player for repeated language or actions and eject a parent when warranted. Tournament directors need to do the same to reclaim control. They usually don't because it COULD affect their profits or future profits.

I agree with you but unfortunately, the off-season basketball tournaments are huge moneymakers and the organizers don't want to offend teams. The teams that are kicked out of tournaments will be right back the next week playing at other events. Referees are considered needed but the first loyalty is to the teams that pay the large entry fees. Referees that "T" up coaches and players aren't asked back. I would like to say there is a noble reason for officiating AAU and other similiar organizations but we do it simply for money.

I agree with you but unfortunately, the off-season basketball tournaments are huge moneymakers and the organizers don't want to offend teams. The teams that are kicked out of tournaments will be right back the next week playing at other events. Referees are considered needed but the first loyalty is to the teams that pay the large entry fees. Referees that "T" up coaches and players aren't asked back. I would like to say there is a noble reason for officiating AAU and other similiar organizations but we do it simply for money.
and that "money"....

$25-$30 per game.....

They don't care who officiates, they just want bodies in a striped shirt.

Unfortunately they don't get kicked out enough. I think officials should set the tone early, T up a coach and make them sit, T up a player for repeated language or actions and eject a parent when warranted. Tournament directors need to do the same to reclaim control. They usually don't because it COULD affect their profits or future profits.
Starts at the beginning with the officials and coaches.

If I were an official, I would meet with the coaches and tell them they have a No BS policy, then instruct them to hold court with their fans to tell them the same.

You can tell early on which officials have control of a contest and which ones dont.

I think you are right for the official to T up coach and player. AD or tourney director needs to step in when fan/parents are involved. Officias cannot and should not have to police the building

In a normal high school game, you are right but they pay-for-play tournaments are exactly normal. Again, the tournament director is going to back the coach and parents (they pay the bill). People seem to react much differently when they have money invested.

my favorite of the year was when the coach got shot in Sandusky at the Cedar Point Sports Force facility, they only stopped play for 15 minutes, then kept it going.

They also sell alcohol there I am told... even better for fan behavior

my favorite of the year was when the coach got shot in Sandusky at the Cedar Point Sports Force facility, they only stopped play for 15 minutes, then kept it going.

They also sell alcohol there I am told... even better for fan behavior
Yes.
They do sell alcohol. Was there for a 12/13 year old tournament a couple years ago.
At first I thought it was only going to be sold when maybe adult games and such were being played but nope, you could pop open an ice cold Coors light to watch lil Johnny play his 10 year old tournament.

Dont get me started on the tournament fee and also the 15-20 gate fee per person as well.

Youth sports : Legalized shaking down of parents and family members!

I don’t consider the “gate fee” a “shake down.” Every “business” around can charge what they want too. If people are dumb enough to “buy” the product that’s all a personal decision and “on that person/family!”

Bingo, many people's careers are centered around these youth sporting events, so they are never going to turn people away. The tournament director has to set the tone before the tournament starts telling the coaches he (or she) will not put up with any crap. Our society has continued to split into the folks who act right and the ones who just don't know how to act anyway other than violence.