Van Slooten to IMG Academy

jafo

Per Jordan Strack Twitter, Toledo Notre Dame Academy's Grace Van Slooten will play her Senior year at IMG Academy, Florida.

Considering this was posted Friday evening and it's had two posts since says it all.

Sometimes I wonder if people to a cost/benefit analysis when they make these types of decisions. I'm sure the belief is that IMG Academy will better prepare her for her basketball future. So what are the costs associated with making this move?

Potential Costs:
1. Tuition (maybe gets to go for free)
2. Leaving friends and family
3. Quality of education
4. Travel for family to see her play
5. Family can no longer see her play in person
6. Lack of playing in an organized system that has a long history with dedicated fans (ie maybe win POY in Ohio)

Potential Benefits:
1. Improved skill level
2. Playing higher level of competition
3. Increased exposure to top colleges
4. Getting head start on college like experience
5. Increased prestige

When I look at the two paths, it seems like IMG Academy just speeds up the college process. What is the end goal of speeding up the college process? To a degree, I get this in Men's basketball when millions of dollars are a possibility if they can go to the NBA. In the WNBA, their average salary is similar to that of a regular job coming out of college ($75,000/year). IMO, it seems like the risk/reward does not favor going to basketball factories.

Sometimes it's better to be a big fish in a small pond compared to a small fish in a big pond. When going to a "school" like IMG, there is the risk that you are the 12th best player on the team and barely see the court come game time.

Sometimes it's better to be a big fish in a small pond compared to a small fish in a big pond. When going to a "school" like IMG, there is the risk that you are the 12th best player on the team and barely see the court come game time.
This is so true...you better hope you are good enough for ane playing time to get the looks you hope for.

Sometimes I wonder if people to a cost/benefit analysis when they make these types of decisions. I'm sure the belief is that IMG Academy will better prepare her for her basketball future. So what are the costs associated with making this move?

Potential Costs:
3. Quality of education
6. Lack of playing in an organized system that has a long history with dedicated fans (ie maybe win POY in Ohio)

Potential Benefits:
1. Improved skill level
5. Increased prestige

When I look at the two paths, it seems like IMG Academy just speeds up the college process. What is the end goal of speeding up the college process? To a degree, I get this in Men's basketball when millions of dollars are a possibility if they can go to the NBA. In the WNBA, their average salary is similar to that of a regular job coming out of college ($75,000/year). IMO, it seems like the risk/reward does not favor going to basketball factories.
I agree. The WNBA is a great goal. But the costs in getting there outweigh the benefits of being there.

She is a good student and already has a huge number of offers. She doesnt need IMG to go to a high end D1 program. She also doesnt need the WNBA to make $75k per year. Depending on her major, she could make that right out of college.

She also doesnt need basketball to get out of a bad neighborhood or get off the streets, like some kids with tough backgrounds. She lives in Ottawa Hills.

She has made a choice that is very narrowly focused. Notre Dame is a well regarded school that she is giving up. Time will tell if its a good decision for her.

Unless the bill is heavily discounted, I don't know that there's any cost value to be had here. The kid doesn't need IMG to get to a high end D1, and the amount of money to potentially be made down the road in the WNBA pales in comparison to potential NBA and NFL prospects that choose to attend IMG.

I do not think she needs IMG BUT if the opportunity presents itself and there is little to no monetary damage then why not? See where you fit in with the rest of the elite. Create new long lasting relationships. She outgrew ND. This next season would have been just like the last three with very little challenges in 99% of their games. Good for her.

Potential Costs:
3. Quality of education

Potential Benefits:
1. Improved skill level
5. Increased prestige

Anytime these things come up, there are two major factors that isn't said, but has to be present.
1. little to no interest in playing with her high school teammates she's played with, some for 3 years.
2. coach

You as high school kids, especially girls why they play a sport and a. playing with their friends and b. the coach are reasons they play or don't play.

The WNBA isn't a real goal for alot of these kids. Equate it to baseball in the 1950. Many guys who could be major league baseball players didn't pursue that path because it wasn't lucrative enough. Even into the 70's many baseball players had jobs in the off season to make ends meet.
There are ALOT of WNBA players who were not even on the radar in college. It's a different game with a different style of player.

I agree. The WNBA is a great goal. But the costs in getting there outweigh the benefits of being there.

She is a good student and already has a huge number of offers. She doesnt need IMG to go to a high end D1 program. She also doesnt need the WNBA to make $75k per year. Depending on her major, she could make that right out of college.

She also doesnt need basketball to get out of a bad neighborhood or get off the streets, like some kids with tough backgrounds. She lives in Ottawa Hills.

She has made a choice that is very narrowly focused. Notre Dame is a well regarded school that she is giving up. Time will tell if its a good decision for her.

So, she is really smart, already had a high level of success, comes from an economically advantaged house but doesn't know how to make a decision about her own life but you do. Gotcha. ;)

Maybe she and her family know something you don't? The WNBA bubble was at IMG. Just haivng their interest is a measure of her perceived capability.

As for WNBA, it's not about WNBA salary. It's about endorsements and foreign earnings. WNBA is a goal. Making over a half a mill in China is not unheard, not counting the endorsements. Russia they make $300,000. A quick google shows Della Don with a personal worth pushing 2 million, Candace Parker 5 million. Even Natasha Howard is showing anywhere from 2-4 million. And it's going up, quickly.

Last edited:
So, she is really smart, already had a high level of success, comes from an economically advantaged house but doesn't know how to make a decision about her own life but you do. Gotcha. ;)

Maybe she and her family know something you don't?

As for WNBA, it's not about WNBA salary. It's about endorsements and foreign team. It is a goal. Making over a half a mill in China is not unheard, not counting the endorsements. Russia they make $300,000. A quick google shows Della Don with a personal worth pushing 2 million, Candace Parker 5 million. Even Natasha Howard is showing anywhere from 2-4 million. And it's going up, quickly.
bingo.

She's the 20th (ish) top recruit nationwide in the class of 2022. While there's a very real possibility several of those top 19 are at IMG, I doubt its 11 of them ;). I think she'll be fine, and my guess is- since she's had about a thousand and a half offers - she really probably already knows where she wants to go, and she and that coaching staff have agreed it will best prepare her for college to get beat up a bit more. (Or, her top choice(s) have all implied a move like this would help her)

I say this only because I know of a similar situation on the boys side - although it ended up playing out a bit differently there with what happened for senior year.

Being also from Toledo, I can understand the disappointment of losing a young role model and talent, which the city so much needs to a mercenary organization particularly but to insinuate the parents in this situation don't have the wherewithal to go in with eyes open is where the line got crossed by 93.

So many "experts" on this post who clearly don't know the girl or her family at all.... particularly love the "big fish/little pond" and "she may get offers" type thoughts lol

So many "experts" on this post who clearly don't know the girl or her family at all.... particularly love the "big fish/little pond" and "she may get offers" type thoughts lol

the latter was sarcasm on the part of the poster. The former is legit thinking. This is a small pond here and she is a big fish. There is no way looking at her games a normal would be able to think she has as many offers as she does. It's not like Howard's time, when nearly every team had competition at the position, many at the D1 recruit level. She obviously got the offers while being the big fish in the little pond. The comment seems legit to me, sometimes it is better.

Some people stand pat. Some people push the chips. They are taking a gamble and I imagine they know that.

Hell, she has a Baylor offer. I imagine at this point, not being an "expert," they are looking beyond the offers or looking for a Connecticut/Stanford/S. Carolina level offer? Or maybe more likely, Notre Dame? I see they're not on her list yet.

Last edited:
The Blade's young sage David Briggs did an article on this today highlighting recent departees including Van Slooten, Zeb Jackson, and the possibility of the young talented Easter kid. At no point in the article did he mention Neal or Coleman who left for Harvest Prep. Lol. Smh.

Guy is a total bone head when doing opinion, information and editorial pieces. And he obviously trolls Yappi. He's much better when actually reporting. He had that one article that was really good.

I do not think she needs IMG BUT if the opportunity presents itself and there is little to no monetary damage then why not? See where you fit in with the rest of the elite. Create new long lasting relationships. She outgrew ND. This next season would have been just like the last three with very little challenges in 99% of their games. Good for her.
IB, if the identical situation was presented to your son/daughter, without knowing every detail, how would of you handled it?
I have twin freshman athletes and will just be solid role players on good teams and I would really struggle to send them away....

IB, if the identical situation was presented to your son/daughter, without knowing every detail, how would of you handled it?
I have twin freshman athletes and will just be solid role players on good teams and I would really struggle to send them away....
I'd have to know every detail. ;)

As I said, she outgrew the TRAC and Toledo area. There was no real challenge to her in 3 years. If monetarily allowed, go expand your horizons.

I was faced with something similar. We gave my daughter the option to go wherever she wanted. It could have been just about anywhere. She chose to stay close to home. We were happy with her choice. Could she have gone to the big name school and been a small fish in a big pond? Yes. But she chose to stay closer to home. The quality of life and cost difference made it better to stay in the area.

I was faced with something similar. We gave my daughter the option to go wherever she wanted. It could have been just about anywhere. She chose to stay close to home. We were happy with her choice. Could she have gone to the big name school and been a small fish in a big pond? Yes. But she chose to stay closer to home. The quality of life and cost difference made it better to stay in the area.

I think that falls into the "to each their own" category. It doesn't mean you have credibility criticizing some other parent's choice. I'm as anti-private school (as opposed to Catholic School) as anyone but I at least accept it is a parent's choice.

Your parents never sent you away from home? I'd be surprised if not.

I think that falls into the "to each their own" category. It doesn't mean you have credibility criticizing some other parent's choice. I'm as anti-private school (as opposed to Catholic School) as anyone but I at least accept it is a parent's choice.

Your parents never sent you away from home? I'd be surprised if not

I am not a fan of the IMG Academy concept. I am a fan of choice. It is their choice.

As a sports topic, Toledo losing a top level athlete is worthy to discuss. I think if she was at a public school you would have criticized it. Your hatred for Catholic schools has made you cheer the decision for the sole reason that it was a private school that lost a player. I think it would have benefited her to stay at a normal high school and have friends and family nearby. Zia Cooke did it and is now thriving at South Carolina.

To be sure, Notre Dame has benefited disproportionately from transfers. Three college players, at least, have transferred into Notre Dame in the last 5 years or so (Hampton-Bey, Cummings, and the one from Southview). It is only karma that they lose one to transfer out.

the latter was sarcasm on the part of the poster. The former is legit thinking. This is a small pond here and she is a big fish. There is no way looking at her games a normal would be able to think she has as many offers as she does. It's not like Howard's time, when nearly every team had competition at the position, many at the D1 recruit level. She obviously got the offers while being the big fish in the little pond. The comment seems legit to me, sometimes it is better.

Some people stand pat. Some people push the chips. They are taking a gamble and I imagine they know that.

Hell, she has a Baylor offer. I imagine at this point, not being an "expert," they are looking beyond the offers or looking for a Connecticut/Stanford/S. Carolina level offer? Or maybe more likely, Notre Dame? I see they're not on her list yet.
This move has nothing to do with what offers she will or won't have and it's not a "gamble" ... you're way overthinking this.

Hate to say it, but more often than not these players are getting looks on account of their AAU/travel teams, not their High School squads. She plays on a top 5/top 10 17U team in the country, and it's not a coincidence that this announcement came at the height of the Spring Travel schedule, not after the state tournament.

I am not a fan of the IMG Academy concept. I am a fan of choice. It is their choice.

As a sports topic, Toledo losing a top level athlete is worthy to discuss. I think if she was at a public school you would have criticized it. Your hatred for Catholic schools has made you cheer the decision for the sole reason that it was a private school that lost a player. I think it would have benefited her to stay at a normal high school and have friends and family nearby. Zia Cooke did it and is now thriving at South Carolina.

To be sure, Notre Dame has benefited disproportionately from transfers. Three college players, at least, have transferred into Notre Dame in the last 5 years or so (Hampton-Bey, Cummings, and the one from Southview). It is only karma that they lose one to transfer out.

Remind me, did I criticize the parents that took their kids from Rogers to Az? Don't use me to justify your distorted thought process and I've never said any hate about "Catholic" schools. Ask anyone. ;) That's just the simplifying spin you put on a complicated subject so you can comprehend.

To say they lost to Karma would be you admitting those schools did something wrong. Who's the hater? lol

You got a lot of wrong in that post 93, even for you.

Hate to say it, but more often than not these players are getting looks on account of their AAU/travel teams, not their High School squads. She plays on a top 5/top 10 17U team in the country, and it's not a coincidence that this announcement came at the height of the Spring Travel schedule, not after the state tournament.

You quoted my post but I don't see how you're refering to it. Care to connect the dots for me?

This move has nothing to do with what offers she will or won't have and it's not a "gamble" ... you're way overthinking this.

Moving and changing scenery is a gamble under any situation. You're way underthinking this.

The whole point of the thread is conjecture as to why the family might have moved the player who was already successful where she was. If you have nothing to offer, why criticize others for their CONJECTURES? Fill the vacumm for us if you have the answer.