2021 St. Edward Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdsFan82

Didn't see a thread for the 2021 season, so thought would get one started.

Return a lot of starters this year and the 2023 class looks to be just as deep.. The schedule also looks like a good one.

08/20 A Toledo Central Catholic
08/28 H Washington Wilson (DC)
09/04 H Mentor
09/11 A Cincinnati Elder
09/17 A Massillon Washington
09/25 H Columbus Bishop Sycamore club
10/02 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/08 H Rock Creek Christian (MD)
10/16 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/22 A Akron Archbishop Hoban

Also just saw Eagle great Chris Williams had Lombardo on his podcast today. Came here to share but didn't see a 2021 thread so figured might as well get one started (feel free to delete if there is one and I just missed it).

Last edited:

As with any year, we lost some great guys to graduation that will be missed (Hankins, Aden, Ja. Castleberry, Moran, Casto, etc.). But we do have a solid core returning with experience at nearly every position group. A full off-season (fingers crossed) should be helpful in preparing some of the younger talent to get acclimated. Hoping that Ramos follows in the path of former Eagle signal-callers who take that big step in their senior season. That will be the key to a post-season run.

Didn't see a thread for the 2021 season, so thought would get one started.

Return a lot of starters this year and the 2023 class looks to be just as deep.. The schedule also looks like a good one.

08/20 A Toledo Central Catholic
08/27 H Washington Wilson (DC)
09/03 H Mentor
09/11 A Cincinnati Elder
09/17 A Massillon Washington
09/24 H Columbus Bishop Sycamore club
10/02 H Cleveland St. Ignatius
10/08 H Mississauga Football North (Clarkson) (ON)
10/16 H Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller
10/22 A Akron Archbishop Hoban

Also just saw Eagle great Chris Williams had Lombardo on his podcast today. Came here to share but didn't see a 2021 thread so figured might as well get one started (feel free to delete if there is one and I just missed it).

On paper that's a brutal schedule

With the changes to 12 seeds in the playoffs now, I don’t worry as much when I see these types of schedules that are typical from year to year. Actually, they are missing some traditional out of state powers that usually showcase a 5* recruit and nationally televised on ESPN.

The D has a tremendous amount of depth returning in the back...LB's and DB's will be the strength of this unit. D needs to shore up the front 3 or 4 to be a stout unit. Medina demonstrated the ability to run the ball in the playoffs last year.

Ramos is dangerous with his ball fakes and legs. Skilled players around him and improved accuracy makes this offense promising. Although they graduated solid Olinemen from last year's unit, Coach Scanlon is by far the best in Ohio at coaching up an Oline.

Go Eagles in 2021.

The D has a tremendous amount of depth returning in the back...LB's and DB's will be the strength of this unit. D needs to shore up the front 3 or 4 to be a stout unit. Medina demonstrated the ability to run the ball in the playoffs last year.

Ramos is dangerous with his ball fakes and legs. Skilled players around him and improved accuracy makes this offense promising. Although they graduated solid Olinemen from last year's unit, Coach Scanlon is by far the best in Ohio at coaching up an Oline.

Go Eagles in 2021.

Good line play has always been paramount to our success. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe only Lavelle returns up front on offense for us. I have heard good things about the underclassmen hogs though. I think we should be very solid on the d-line. Assuming Bixby is a go after last year's hiatus, we also bring back Oudeman and Harvey on the interior. I found Oudeman to be quite impressive last year in his varsity debut. Opposite Bixby, Wyatt Gedeon could anchor the other end spot or fit that hybrid DE/LB role we've used in the past with guys like Pietrowski. The younger Kilbane will also be in the mix there.

I have heard good things about the underclassmen hogs though.

Braylon Smith is going to be a really good one. Him and Wolverton from the 2023 class will likely start on the OL this fall. I'm curious to see how Scans moves things around. Gio can play Center, but there's a couple others that can too (Brady Seymour comes to mind from the 2022s). Wolverton and Braylon both are probably guards, but I'm pretty sure Wolverton can go OT too, believe he and Smith were on the right side together as Freshman. I know there are some other big boys in that class too. Either way, there is some depth there and options for staff to work with, which is a good thing.

Your friends at Toledo Central Catholic are excited for the 2021 week 1 matchup, hopefully we'll be able to give your outstanding team a decent contest. First time in years my Irish have had so many questions at the skill positions and on defense, playing Ed's this early is a tough way to get on the job training. Come early, enjoy some world famous Tony Packo's hot dogs on the drive in and join us for the best high school tailgating in the country, nobody pre-games like Irish Nation.....

Excited for the schedule. I agree that the expansion of the playoffs takes the worry out of dropping 3 or 4 games. I am wondering if that will long term help schedules too since other schools do not have to worry about missing the playoffs too. Surprised Sycamore is still around as a team. Toledo Central Catholic is a game that I hope is a good beginning a relationship there. The usual suspects of Mentor, Elder, Football North, Moeller and of course St. Ignatius. It will be fun to see how this group gels, I hope they are working hard at the weights this offseason!

Just read the article in Cleveland.com that the OHSAA expanded the playoff format to 16 teams. Hopefully this allows for greater flexibility with opponent scheduling in the out years. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Go Eagles!

Just read the article in Cleveland.com that the OHSAA expanded the playoff format to 16 teams. Hopefully this allows for greater flexibility with opponent scheduling in the out years. Looking forward to the upcoming season.

Go Eagles!
Makes sense. Why have four teams take a bye week when they can play games? Not to mention the additional revenues the OHSAA needs due to their poor revenues this past year or so due to attendance restrictions.

Excited for the schedule. I agree that the expansion of the playoffs takes the worry out of dropping 3 or 4 games. I am wondering if that will long term help schedules too since other schools do not have to worry about missing the playoffs too. Surprised Sycamore is still around as a team. Toledo Central Catholic is a game that I hope is a good beginning a relationship there. The usual suspects of Mentor, Elder, Football North, Moeller and of course St. Ignatius. It will be fun to see how this group gels, I hope they are working hard at the weights this offseason!
We are going undefeated!

Name a ligament and this kid probably tore it at some point during his career at Notre Dame. Amazing that he continued to find his way back onto the field, earn a captain designation, and sign as an UDFA. Wishing Shaun the best in chasing his NFL dreams.
I always thought he would be a pro just didn’t imagine the journey he had to take. Wishing him all the luck for once.

On you mighty Eagles, You'll have to fightto win a victory! So fight, you mighty Eagles, and raise Saint Edward's green and gold on high. ?

With the changes to 12 seeds in the playoffs now, I don’t worry as much when I see these types of schedules that are typical from year to year. Actually, they are missing some traditional out of state powers that usually showcase a 5* recruit and nationally televised on ESPN.
This page has me cracking up, please keep commenting on the players.

Is it true that Mentor at St Eds was moved from Friday September 3 to Saturday September 4? Did Lakewood take the Friday slot ?

Could have sworn arbiter had it on Friday for the longest time and I'm trying to fill my schedule

Is it true that Mentor at St Eds was moved from Friday September 3 to Saturday September 4? Did Lakewood take the Friday slot ?

Could have sworn arbiter had it on Friday for the longest time and I'm trying to fill my schedule
Looks like Lakewood has a home game that Friday with Fairview.

Status
Not open for further replies.