2021 Elder Volleyball

... and Moeller went 2-0 against Elder. ... you have to get to the state tourney before you worry about possible match up problems. One of the "what ifs" would be that maybe Darby gets knocked off before they get to the state tourney ... If you don't get there you can't play.

... and Moeller went 2-0 against Elder. ... you have to get to the state tourney before you worry about possible match up problems. One of the "what ifs" would be that maybe Darby gets knocked off before they get to the state tourney ... If you don't get there you can't play.
That wasn't going to happen that year. Honestly, that's not going to happen most years. The South is very top heavy with the big 3 GCLS teams, but you can pretty much pencil in St Ignatius from the North, Darby from the East and one of Beavercreek or Centerville from the West to go along with 2 GCLS teams at State every year.

That wasn't going to happen that year. Honestly, that's not going to happen most years. The South is very top heavy with the big 3 GCLS teams, but you can pretty much pencil in St Ignatius from the North, Darby from the East and one of Beavercreek or Centerville from the West to go along with 2 GCLS teams at State every year.
The East seems to be getting stronger and catching up to Darby. Wouldn't be surprised to see a different team this year

This pencil better have an eraser this year haha they benefit from only 8 teams in the North region, but they are not a pencil in this year. Jackson will be N1 but it is an open field for N2.... Iggy, Eds, Stow all have a chance. Its a shame that Brecksville went DII, because they would be in contention for the N1 slot this year (beat Jackson in 4 early this year).

The East seems to be getting stronger and catching up to Darby. Wouldn't be surprised to see a different team this year
They lost their long-time coach (Webb) a couple seasons back and don't seem to be doing as well over the past couple season. We'll see if it's a trend or if it's just a year or two blip for them.

This pencil better have an eraser this year haha they benefit from only 8 teams in the North region, but they are not a pencil in this year. Jackson will be N1 but it is an open field for N2.... Iggy, Eds, Stow all have a chance. Its a shame that Brecksville went DII, because they would be in contention for the N1 slot this year (beat Jackson in 4 early this year).
I said pretty much, so there's my eraser if needed. I'd still favor the Wildcats to come out of the North even if it's the #2 spot. It used to be St Edward 1, St Ignatius 2 up North, then around the mid 2010s, St Edward fell off hard opening the door to teams like Jackson to take claim to N2, as St Ignatius became the top dog as N1.

Elder wins in 4 over X. Having seen the first matchup, Elder looked like a different team. I won't say it was a complete 180 because tonight's match was a lot more competitive than the 1st, but Elder looks to have made some big strides.

I figured the knowledgeable volleyball posters would have more to say about this. IMO, it’s a pretty impressive turn around within a week. I think Fenwick beating X showed Elder they could be beaten and that gave them a ton of confidence. It also helped winning the first set and getting that monkey off their back.

I didn't get to watch it yet, which is why I haven't commented on the match yet. I did watch the highlight video on ENN and it looks like they did a great job of keeping the X setter off the net, really forcing balls to either pin and sitting on them. Their blocking looked much improved and it seemed like Maune was unstoppable. Now, that's a 2-minute highlight reel, so I'm sure there's more to it than that which is why I'll go back and watch the match on X's boxcast page if it's still up.

I figured the knowledgeable volleyball posters would have more to say about this. IMO, it’s a pretty impressive turn around within a week. I think Fenwick beating X showed Elder they could be beaten and that gave them a ton of confidence. It also helped winning the first set and getting that monkey off their back.

Like ads mentioned, blocking was incredibly improved since the last matchups with X. Kastner (X's OH1) never seemed to get going from an offensive standpoint, which is key to X's success. Sure he had his kills, but I would guess only 10 or so across the whole match. With Elder missing Samuels, there was a big question on how Geisen would step in at the libero position. His serving and defense were fantastic. Serve receive was iffy at times, but overall Geisen stepped up big in Samuels absence. Elder's MH, Mitch Meyer, played really well early in the match, which forced X to stick with him, opening up huge seams for Maune and Albers on the outside.

It'll be a battle everytime these two teams are on the court. Huge strides from the Elder team, but its not over yet!

Varsity Volleyball defeated Lakota West last night 3-0 (25-14, 25-5, 25-13). As an outside observer, I think 25-5 in game 2 is about as dominant as I can remember seeing since boys volleyball switched to rally scoring. All three levels are back on the court tonight at La Salle at 5, 6 and 7.

All three levels take down LaSalle last night

JVB (10-4) - 25-21, 25-14
JVA (13-2) - 25-19, 25-19
Varsity (16-2) - 25-15, 25-11, 25-20

Varsity Volleyball defeated Lakota West last night 3-0 (25-14, 25-5, 25-13). As an outside observer, I think 25-5 in game 2 is about as dominant as I can remember seeing since boys volleyball switched to rally scoring. All three levels are back on the court tonight at La Salle at 5, 6 and 7.
I've seen a few 25-2, 25-1 and, much more rarely, 25-0 games. 25-5 is still pretty uncommon and absolutely dominant.

Big GCL match tomorrow between St X and Moeller. The results can have a direct effect on who wins the GCL this year.

If St X wins tomorrow:
Elder can share the GCL title (with X) with a win against Moeller next Friday.

If Moeller wins tomorrow:
Elder is guaranteed at least a share of the GCL title (with X & Moe) and can win it outright with a win against Moeller next Friday.

Just saw this on Facebook. Elder is ranked #3 nationally by MaxPreps.com

Nice recognition for the squad, though these National Polls are so hard to gauge. Wonder where X was rated on this poll while they were undefeated. Also shout out to JM for the reverse jinx on the Bombers, they've lost 3 of 4 heading into their match with Moe tomorrow.

Nice recognition for the squad, though these National Polls are so hard to gauge. Wonder where X was rated on this poll while they were undefeated. Also shout out to JM for the reverse jinx on the Bombers, they've lost 3 of 4 heading into their match with Moe tomorrow.
St X was ranked #3 in the country previously. But yeah, don't put much stock in the rankings because:
1. MaxPreps overvalues wins against bad teams compared to losses against good teams.
2. Very little crossover between states - makes it hard to accurately judge where teams stack up in the national scene. Cali and Illinois teams would realistically dominate the top 25, IMO

Over the weekend, Elder defeated both Dublin Jerome and Mt. Vernon 3-0. Three upcoming matches for the Panthers in the final week of the regular season: Wednesday at Alter and then home on Friday night vs. Moeller and home on Saturday morning vs. Hilliard Darby. Both of this week's home matches will be streamed on EHSports.com.

Alter hasn't been as good this year as they've been previously, however that's a tricky road contest mid-week before the big GCL match Friday. Elder is in the driver seat to grab the #1 spot in the South Region, but they need to take care of business one match at a time - starting Wednesday. Draw is Sunday.

Think I saw it could be Elder's first outright GCL Title in volleyball since 2008, which is crazy considering all the success they've had at the State level since then.

Think I saw it could be Elder's first outright GCL Title in volleyball since 2008, which is crazy considering all the success they've had at the State level since then.

It looks like 2008 was the last outright GCL title for Elder volleyball. I don't follow volleyball closely, but with all the banners they have I'm surprised it's been that long. 2008 was 24-0, must have been quite the team.

What about 2015? I guess they tied with Moeller? I had no idea Moeller has been this dominant in volleyball.

2020 no season
2019 tied for last
2018 3rd
2017 2nd
2016 3 way tied for 1st. Elder won state this year?
2015 gclsports has incomplete results. ehsports.com only showing results for 10 games?
2014 teid for 2nd
2013 2nd
2012 3rd?
2011 last
2010 tied for 1st
2009 3rd
2008 1st 24-0

From the unsophisticated vball fan POV, it felt like Elder gave this game away with all the botched serves.