Putting the top hitter in the Lead off Spot in High School Baseball

alan41

I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts are about putting the top hitter on a team in the leadoff spot in the line up. It appears that more Ohio high school baseball coaches are trying out this strategy in developing their lineups.

There are a couple factors that need taken into account, IMO. The depth of the lineup, are there other hitters who could fill the #3 hole appropriately, how does the "best hitter" run the bases? etc. I've actually seen several teams this year put their best/stud hitter in the #2 spot more than any other year.

There are a couple factors that need taken into account, IMO. The depth of the lineup, are there other hitters who could fill the #3 hole appropriately, how does the "best hitter" run the bases? etc. I've actually seen several teams this year put their best/stud hitter in the #2 spot more than any other year.

That's interesting. Why do you think the coaches have decided to put their best hitter in the second spot rather than the traditional third sport in the lineup?

That's interesting. Why do you think the coaches have decided to put their best hitter in the second spot rather than the traditional third sport in the lineup?
Probably when the leadoff hitter has a high OBP to get on base for the stud hitter. Stud hitter can hit him around himself, and also runs the bases well himself, and oftentimes a single is really a double after a SB, setting the stage for giving the #3/4 hitters (good hitters but probably not as good at running the bases) to knock him in. Again, I think it all comes down to depth, and the characteristics of each batter and how they can be pieced together to put runs on the board.

I have seen situations where the best hitter is the leadoff spot because he is a set-the-tone guy who gets on base, steals, makes things happen, and the team simply feeds off of it. So I get the reason they would put them in either spot.

Patrick Henry had a stud, Marc Krauss, whom I believe they batted leadoff and caught I thought. Went D1 and drafted as well.
He had great RBI numbers.

Want to say our best bitter hit leadoff back on the early 90s. Ironically I talked to him at a ballgame tonight.

If I had a stud run producing guy I would till have him in the three hole

Having your best hitter hit as many times as possible is usually a good thing.
All depends on how deep your lineup is. Having your best hitter up with 2outs makes it hard to make things happen.
He gets on as the leadoff guy there are plenty of ways to manufacture runs.

My thought process was your best offensive player batted in the 3 hole. Not necessarily best hitter but a combination of offensive characteristics. Runs well, gap power, strike outs to a minimum, pressuring the defense. Depending on the make-up of your lineup I can see how beneficial it would be to bat that same type of hitter at lead off. As was mentioned earlier you want this player to be at the plate as many times as possible, only leading off for sure once a game.

Having your best hitter hit as many times as possible is usually a good thing.
All depends on how deep your lineup is. Having your best hitter up with 2outs makes it hard to make things happen.
He gets on as the leadoff guy there are plenty of ways to manufacture runs.

I believe it comes down to, with your best hitter, is what is the best spot to put him in where he is going to have guys to drive in?

9? 3? 4?

4 is likely, but you also want to guarantee he gets up in the first inning.

I can see instances where the best hitter all around is in the leadoff especially if he gets on base alot, is aggressive and just wreaks havoc and sets the table for the middle of the lineup.

We have seen this strategy also being used with Kenston baseball. They moved one of their top hitters and Indiana University commit, Ryan Gilbert to the top of the order.